Model Cars Magazine Forum

On 4/14/2021 at 6:59 PM, bisc63 said:

Fit issues probably down to the age of the mold. That kit has been around awhile, and is a popular kit to boot, so plenty of use and re-use. Still must feel odd, knowing it's a Tamiya!

Yessiree it was a bit out of place. I'm used to 'em just popping together nicely.

Got 'er black based this morning. Still need to black base the elevators and install those but we're getting there.

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice work Joe, the paint is beautiful, a lot of work... your index finger must hurt... By the way, I love that FORD mat... 😉

Thanks Francis. That's actually a base to add color to. The idea is for that pattern to be seen in the paint as to depict a worn paint job. I used this one my Arado 234 Blitz. If you look you  can see the warble through the paint work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Oh I see... I am not an expert in the world of military aviation as you can see...  So your final paint will be partially translucent so that your final color benefits from the texture of the base color?

Yessiree. You'll see what I'm talking about in this update buddy.

On 4/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, Codi said:

Love that paint Joe.  Looking forward to the final result.  Entire build looks super clean.  cheers, tim

'Preciate you stoppin' in Tim. So far it hasn't kicked my tail yet.

Alright gang, I got a very light coat RLM 76 (light blue) applied to the bottom of the aircraft as of yesterday morning.

Got the topside colors on and was hoping for a little better definition on the mottle pattern. I might come back over it with some more over the weekend. Disregard the hard demarcation line between the upper and lower colors on the gun bay doors as that one piece panel is temporarily in place while the paint work is going on. I'll be going with the opened up panel piece after all that's done. Here we are as of now.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:35 PM, bisc63 said:

Looking good! Down the home stretch now.

Thanks Rusty. Dunno bout that home stretch but we're getting there. lol 

I had a chance to do the sides over again as it just didn't look right to me. I reapplied the RLM 76 (light blue) on the sides and came back over it all again with the gray mottle pattern. Now....it looks a little more like it.

Curious, are you going to put a satin clear over this? It looks very flat in the photos, and the Germans used a type of paint that actually had a noticeable "sheen", which is clearly visible in old photos taken in full sun. I remember looking at a restoration of a Bf 109 at Wright-Patterson a few years back and thinking they had painted it too shiny, until I read up on the subject and had my mind changed. Our aircraft paint was much flatter in appearance and aged even more so more quickly. The 262s weren't around long enough for the finish to age much!

11 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Curious, are you going to put a satin clear over this? It looks very flat in the photos, and the Germans used a type of paint that actually had a noticeable "sheen", which is clearly visible in old photos taken in full sun. I remember looking at a restoration of a Bf 109 at Wright-Patterson a few years back and thinking they had painted it too shiny, until I read up on the subject and had my mind changed. Our aircraft paint was much flatter in appearance and aged even more so more quickly. The 262s weren't around long enough for the finish to age much!

Thanks for the input Rusty.  I've still got a clear coat, cals and a flat coat to go but all of the finishes that I end up with have a slight sheen to them. 262's and late war German aircraft fall into a weird category in regards to color and finish. At that stage in the war materials of all kinds were very scarce so some of these 262's didn't have any paint at all and the paint that they did manage to get onto the aircraft was applied in super thin coats which didn't stand up to weather very well. You'll see some birds that have a noticeable shine and those seem to be the ones that hadn't had paint on 'em very long and others that look like hammered doggy doo because of the accelerated weathering. Another thing to consider was that late war camo was often applied in the field because they went from a lighter camo (for camo while in the air) to darker camo colors because of aircraft grounding due to lack of fuel. Basically they went from air concealment to ground concealment and those paint jobs were hastily applied rough due to the constant unit relocations. On those birds you'll see bad and splotchy color coverage. Factory paint jobs included color on top and lots of times no color bottom side so instead you'll see bare aluminum there.

Interesting stuff! You've got me thinking about a bare metal 262 now. That would give the futuristic jet an even more futuristic appearance that had to send chills down the spines of allied airmen who encountered her in the air. Your build is looking sweeeeet, keep it coming!

2 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Interesting stuff! You've got me thinking about a bare metal 262 now. That would give the futuristic jet an even more futuristic appearance that had to send chills down the spines of allied airmen who encountered her in the air. Your build is looking sweeeeet, keep it coming!

They look rather sinister.

e09be25c25c1b7fd032f21c880d40b9e.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

11 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Oh that is wicked. Some planes look mean; this one and the Heinkel 111 are just menacing sitting still!

Right??!! I love the He-111 as well. I've got a 1/48 scale Ju-88/ Fw190 Mistel in the stash. I've been contemplating building that.

Ya know Rusty, the more research I do on late war German camo and paint the more I realize that arguments could be made on both sides for the flat and satin finishes.

Check it out:

Flat finish

Satin/ semi gloss finish:

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

the more research I do on late war German camo and paint the more I realize that arguments could be made on both sides

I know, it can be tough to decide. I personally would err on the side of more satin than flat, just my choice. Given the age, or lack of, I just don't see them getting too dull under normal conditions, HOWEVER, you raise a good point about field applied finishes and less than ideal conditions and/or supplies available. The photos above BOTH seem to show a satin-ish finish; the first photo less so, but if you notice, it is taken with overcast skies (there are no clear shadows on the ground beneath the plane) and the tail panel still reflects pretty well the available light. Second picture is in full sun, with clear, dark shadows falling.  Still fun to ponder!

On 5/8/2021 at 11:20 AM, TransAmMike said:

Looking at images on google those ME 262's sure had a lot of different paint schemes and colors!

That's for DANG sure!! Glad to have you along Mike! 

On 5/8/2021 at 2:30 PM, bisc63 said:

I know, it can be tough to decide. I personally would err on the side of more satin than flat, just my choice. Given the age, or lack of, I just don't see them getting too dull under normal conditions, HOWEVER, you raise a good point about field applied finishes and less than ideal conditions and/or supplies available. The photos above BOTH seem to show a satin-ish finish; the first photo less so, but if you notice, it is taken with overcast skies (there are no clear shadows on the ground beneath the plane) and the tail panel still reflects pretty well the available light. Second picture is in full sun, with clear, dark shadows falling.  Still fun to ponder!

Luftwaffe colors and camo schemes are hard enough to research and to get right and then we throw in the sheen that they may or may not have. It's enough to drive a builder crazy. spacer.png  But you are right....it's fun to ponder all this stuff Rusty. 

I applied a glosscoat to the top side yesterday using Vallejo's acrylic gloss. Dunno what it is about acrylic glosses but it was fairly difficult for me to apply (probably because I thinned it down too much ) and it puddled in a few areas on the starboard wing. Gimme some lacquer based clear and I can work wonders with it. This stuff is like me trying to speak a foreign language.  Anyhow.... I sanded the irregularities out of the gloss, touched up some paint where I burned through in the sanding process and re-applied the gloss this morning. Cals are upcoming next....

Now she's starting to get some personality. Been goin' on with the cals for the last few days. Those #3's were giving me a little static but other than that everything else worked out. NOTE....Do NOT EVER buy decals from Peddinghaus. OMG they're bad. I only used the big 3's and the tail numbers out of the whole set. Just terrible in terms of out of scale lettering and walkway red dash sizes. It was like there was little to no research on them. For the rest of the stenciling decals I used the EagleCals set that I started out with on this one before I decided to build White 3.

Edited by mustang1989