Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Fairlane 500

doorsovdoon

At last, I can finally stop and call this one done, I'm absolutely convinced this kit is cursed! It took two weeks or so to finally complete this build, having ill fitting doors, dropping it on the floor and breaking the windscreen pillar, lost the fan belt pulleys (still haven't found them) and completely dissolving the rear lights in brush cleaner, I finally got five seconds of sunshine yesterday to take some pics, then my camera died! and I mean died, no life, nothing, it just stopped working! So, new camera, new day, but one heck of a good looking model car! I'm tempted to never go anywhere near this particular kit ever again, but to be fair the only issue with this kit was the doors, the rest was just bad luck. So yeah, very well detailed kit with tons of extras. Aside from the doors needing careful shaving to fit right, check fitting, more careful shaving and even more check fitting, the rest go's together very nicely... eventually!

20120623_184823.JPG

20120623_184850.JPG

20120623_184911.JPG

20120623_184935.JPG

Thanks, guys. Yeah, sticking with it definitely paid off, I'm very happy with this one, but boy it took some doing, especially the foiling. I had to be very careful when doing the two tone paint, taking into account how thin the chrome trim would be running along the rear panels, the two colours had to be dead parallel right down the line! The rear lights are modified flasher beacons from the "Squad Rod" if I'm remembering rightly. The rear panel script badges were just done with a chrome pen. I have another '57 to do but it's the station wagon, thankfully that one has fixed doors!

Beautiful looking showroom looking build. I know it seemed like it was fighting you but you did win. The colors look period perfect. Many years ago I had a 1:1 convertible with a white exterior and the interior would be a match for your build here. You will like the new Revell '57 Ford wagon even better. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking showroom looking build. I know it seemed like it was fighting you but you did win. The colors look period perfect. Many years ago I had a 1:1 convertible with a white exterior and the interior would be a match for your build here. You will like the new Revell '57 Ford wagon even better. 

Thanks, Dave. After dropping it on the floor breaking the windscreen pillars this one almost became a convertible! Yes, looking forward to doing the Revell wagon.