Model Cars Magazine Forum

75 Gremlin pro touring

Steve H

Hi all, 

This was a “quick build” between full detail projects. It wasn’t particularly quick on the calendar, but as far as desk time it was fairly quick. I like doing these as exercises in trying new things. This was my second build with working lights, I plan on doing a full detail build in the future with working lights, so a little more practice doesn’t hurt. 
Gremlins, in my opinion are not an attractive car, they are somewhat awkward looking. However, they are one of those cars that are so “ugly”, they are kinda cool. So the goal was to aim for making it “cool”. I have to be honest though, as the project progressed, I came to like the lines of the car more....

The rear of the car got a face lift, I filled the rear tail lights and added new vertical lights. Both bumpers were removed, and I added the front “bumper” from a J2000. The wheels, tires, and brakes are from Pegasus, I wanted to try a deep smoke chrome look on the wheels. I sprayed about 5-6 coats of Tamiya smoke. I often do one or two coats of smoke on chrome parts, but for this build I wanted dark. I’m quite pleased with the result, and will likely do this again on a future project. There is no interior, and only the bottom half of the engine. The hood scoop is actually one of the kits seat backs cut to fit. The lights are from Evan Designs, and are very easy to install. There is a thread in the WIP section if you are interested. 
As always, thanks for looking, and all comments welcome. 

Cheers, Steve

22FE8F4D-A147-4407-B08D-21DF30095409.thumb.jpeg.2e8521d0946a4a4c59858bf900cd6f58.jpeg

4443AD37-9288-4DBA-B8E0-1F780EE1FBAA.thumb.jpeg.f50696611df513aa89707c33fdd87ce8.jpeg

953376A6-D711-491A-AF13-4CF4E2AFFED7.thumb.jpeg.4c00eea1a578ef1dbb695cc41314ee5a.jpeg

1C8950CD-EA49-40E5-AD7E-90B346B015E7.thumb.jpeg.87002bb4ee8f4b9bc02b66cc8d3af151.jpeg

34B4CF6B-4F2F-488A-A104-5A25BABEB33A.thumb.jpeg.3b50e4926c910c9d045430be0a60e085.jpeg

5ABC6F61-699D-4749-9767-1B054B7FF122.thumb.jpeg.c6dfb2e139af5dac2957e6b829969e17.jpeg

37FABCD2-90C2-434E-BB02-702091009A8E.thumb.jpeg.94b0cd7b2639d4cc9db9be4595eb3294.jpeg

Hi Steve!

This thing is ready to compete in any GoodGuys event... and win! Slick, and I like the even keel stance, akin to an air-ride suspended car when dropped looooooow. great!

The idea to use the extremely narrow (almost a caricature) seat back section for a scoop is clever. I have the kit, and I will emulate your idea on a future build!

Bravo!

CT 

11 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Steve!

This thing is ready to compete in any GoodGuys event... and win! Slick, and I like the even keel stance, akin to an air-ride suspended car when dropped looooooow. great!

The idea to use the extremely narrow (almost a caricature) seat back section for a scoop is clever. I have the kit, and I will emulate your idea on a future build!

Bravo!

CT 

Hello Claude!, Thanks for the compliment and for checking in sir. 
The evening I was sorting thru my array of hood scoops, I didn’t have one that really jumped out at me. Right there on the desk was the spru with the seats, the seat backs actually looked like hood scoops. Hmmmmm, a quick test fit and voila! The other seat back is going to go in with my hood scoop collection. 

Thank you, and have a wonderful holiday season! Stay safe.

Cheers, Steve

6 hours ago, espo said:

I like how all the body lines just flow together including the chopped off rear look. The color and its finish look great. The lights really standout, what sort of battery life does it have ? 

Hello David, thanks for the comments. I believe that with 4-6 lights, a 9V battery gets about 40 hrs. There are many options, and Evans website has a lot of info. They also will answer any questions you have. 

2 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Great model. I really like the back end treatment and the tucked in front bumpers. I am going to have to google to see if any one has tried something remotely similar in 1 to 1.

2 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

Great model. I really like the back end treatment and the tucked in front bumpers. I am going to have to google to see if any one has tried something remotely similar in 1 to 1.

Hi Phil! Thanks for having a look. If you look at the WIP thread you will see my inspiration. There is a 1/1 that is similar, and the tail light idea is from a sketch pad drawing. The J2000 front fascia was a near perfect fit.

Hope you and yours a wonderful, safe holiday season. Look forward to seeing you in the new year.

Cheers, Steve

20 hours ago, m3fan said:

Well done Steve! Look forward to seeing it in person hopefully someday soon.

Russ

Hello Russ! Nice to hear from you sir. Yes, hopefully things return to “normal” soon, it would be good to see everyone again. Have a great Christmas, and Happy New Year. 
Cheers, Steve