Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holmes 750 twin-boom wrecker

15 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Where can I find these Phil Jensen articles?

I think I found one on the internet but it was quite blurry. I got another one from a member. An original would be much better . It was called:" A Tidewater Trucker Project" by Phil Jensen. Building yhr Holmes 750 Twin boom 25 ton wrecker and it was in two parts. At the bottom of the page it says March 1973 car model. Could that be Car Modeler?

Hi Pat,

The two-part article was indeed printed in the 1973 March and April issues.

CM197303.jpg.e31b00fa68e1549452299f925f8e4ee2.jpg

I know that Phil Jensen wrote a book called 'Building Model Trucks. It was published in 1973 by the Auto World Library.

961220676_PhilJensenBuildingModelTrucks.thumb.jpg.8ab7164a6d003451c9f56c88db0fff9f.jpg

I don't know whether you can still buy it.

Take care, Juergen

4 minutes ago, HJK said:

Hi Pat,

The two-part article was indeed printed in the 1973 March and April issues.

I know that Phil Jensen wrote a book called 'Building Model Trucks. It was published in 1973 by the Auto World Library.

I don't know whether you can still buy it.

Take care, Juergen

Thanks Juergen. I am sure an issue exists somewhere that someone would be willing to scan for the forum. As for the book, There has to be one somewhere. Happy searching guys.

One suggestion is to substitute Evergreen styrene parts for the Plastistruct  butyl plastic parts as Evergreen was not around when Phil wrote the article. Plastistruct plastic is very susceptible to environmental influences and mating up to styrene is like steel and aluminum as you can notice on my model stabilizer body doors which are Plastistruct and not that 'lousy' AMT kit plastic

greg

44 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

One suggestion is to substitute Evergreen styrene parts for the Plastistruct  butyl plastic parts as Evergreen was not around when Phil wrote the article. Plastistruct plastic is very susceptible to environmental influences and mating up to styrene is like steel and aluminum as you can notice on my model stabilizer body doors which are Plastistruct and not that 'lousy' AMT kit plastic

greg

Thanks Greg. However, I am in a "use what you got" mode. I try to use the same stuff whenever it is available.