Model Cars Magazine Forum
landman

Holmes 750 twin-boom wrecker

On 12/20/2020 at 9:21 PM, GLMFAA1 said:

Phil Jenson did a fine job on "how to". Here is my version of his build.

Another source might be the First Gear wreckers

P1000309.JPG.e591384f059a22531f36405e595ad692.JPG

greg

Greg and A.J., how did you make this piece? It is the catch that keeps the booms together.

On 12/21/2020 at 7:32 PM, maxwell48098 said:

Here's my version following Phil's plans, but using the optional Holmes square tube booms:

707782185_1967MackB75Holmes850Wrecker(6).JPG.8085e4fce0d2d0fea5968724295252d0.JPG

tide012-vi (1).jpg

take two longer pieces of stock and cut the zig zag by files and then cut to size and glue on the booms.

greg

6 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

take two longer pieces of stock and cut the zig zag by files and then cut to size and glue on the booms.

greg

OK. Thanks Greg. I'll try that.

11 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Pat your booms look good all your scratch building parts on this are coming together nicely. 

Except I just discovered the pulleys should have two grooves.

IMG_0431.JPG

2 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Hey, Pat.  What kind of aluminum rod are you using?  I know there are different kinds; some good for turning and some not so good.

It's actually a fairly soft tubing. Grooves well.

3 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice pulleys Pat!  Maybe I missed the info but what will be the type of truck that will receive this beautiful equipment?

That major executive decision hasn't been made yet. Something like one of these.

41 Chevy.jpg

30725340_1670968512989994_8611441937087463424_n.jpg

Guay's Garage.jpg

Latour tow truck.jpg

s-l1600.jpgOr maybe an Autocar.

Edited by landman

43 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

WOW, a lot of good choices, I have a weakness or a fondness for the FORD N-Series but they are all good choices!

I already have a Ford N600, however since I know one of the owners of Guay's Garage it might be an idea.

DSC_0144.JPG

Edited by landman

32 minutes ago, landman said:

I already have a Ford N600, however since I know one of the owners of Guay's Garage it might be an idea.

Super cool Pat!!!  Is it a resin kit?  I'm obviously not an expert in this category but I never seen one as styrene kit, I really love these old FORDs!

An old Autocar would be nice, AITM has the 50's hood conversion for the A64B kit.  AITM has an old International that might go well, so many choices! 

Yesterday it was the stiff leg brace and this morning the outriggers.

IMG_0444.JPG

It looks like Jensen used the towbar from the AMT kit. I wonder if someone here could sketch me one with measurements. Pretty Please...

1 hour ago, landman said:

It looks like Jensen used the towbar from the AMT kit. I wonder if someone here could sketch me one with measurements. Pretty Please...

Actually, just the neasurements would do, I found the instructions for the Peterbilt wrecker, I can copy it there.

Great job Pat, everything looks very accurate and well made so far.  Jamie Davis from Highway thru Hell is definitely going to want to add your tow truck to his collection, he can't resist those old "big iron". 👍

I’ve been wanting to build one of these for years! I will be watching your build closely and taking notes. Looks great so far! 

18 hours ago, landman said:

Actually, just the neasurements would do, I found the instructions for the Peterbilt wrecker, I can copy it there.

Hey Pat I can take some off my autocar wrecker this afternoon and close ups if that would help