Model Cars Magazine Forum

Altered Wheelbase Fun

Altered Ego

I do the same as EngineerBob, I cut the body, but I use a Dremel tool.  The only time I have used two bodies was on the Thunderbolt when I "stretched" the rear openings similar to a modification made back in the day.  I agree with you on the AMT AWB kits being junk.  The Georgia Shaker above was an AMT AWB body mated to a cut down Moebius Comet chassis.  I am setting up to do the same with new Moebius Chevy II Gasser kit.  I am going to mate the AMT AWB body to this chassis, altered of course, to create a Dick Harrell AWB version.

On 12/30/2020 at 6:30 AM, Altered Ego said:

Thanks to mredjr for helping me with the parts needed to finish this one.  This is Don Nicholson's altered wheelbase version of his 1965 Comet Cyclone.  Built with Moebius' Nicholson Comet with the rear axle moved forward 18".

IMG_4833.JPG

Still remember seeing Dyno Don in the 60s....well done!

• 3 months later...

My first attempt at the Moebius Chevy II is a lame attempt at the Steve Bovan 396 supercharged Chevy II.  The only departures from the box kit is the big block Chevy from the Model King Twister kit and the cut down Willys traction bars.

IMG_5922.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:55 PM, Altered Ego said:

My first attempt at the Moebius Chevy II is a lame attempt at the Steve Bovan 396 supercharged Chevy II.  The only departures from the box kit is the big block Chevy from the Model King Twister kit and the cut down Willys traction bars.

IMG_5922.jpg

nice job

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my second build of the Moebius '65 Nova Gasser.  I had this planned from the time I first saw this kit.  Unfortunately, virtually nothing is interchangeable between this kit and the Twister altered wheelbase Nova.  I cut down the chassis from the Moebius kit and mated it with the Twister body.  It required ALOT of surgery.  I used the Twister big block and dash panel to keep it true to the Dick Harrell car.  The wheels and tires are from the Moebius Golden Commandos AWB kit.

IMG_5985.jpg