Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/72 Scale Trans Global Airlines 707

This is a Pro Scale Boeing 707 done in the Trans Global Airlines livery from the 1970 movie Airport. I began this kit in the mid 90s, but got stalled when I couldn't replicate the airline font that runs down the fuselage, so it sat collecting dust. Finally, I found a company that produced a complete set of decals, earlier this fall I did a complete 'restoration' of my original build. And I'm pretty happy with the results!????IMG_20201022_155254_536.jpg.006ec32b9078bcb4807164b8bcae145f.jpg

DSC07854.jpg

DSC07856.jpg

20201009_182946.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

COOL!!! I love movie vehicles! Is that a vac form kit or injection??? 

Thanks! It's an injection kit. I think it's a Heller kit, but for a while it was sold under the name Pro Scale, with Canadian Forces markings.????

On 12/21/2020 at 6:18 PM, Craig said:

Thank you! Yes, it's pretty big, fortunately I have a spot for it!????

Looks great. Love the night time pics.

Good thing it's relatively small for an airliner. 

I have a Rodan 1/144 720 which is basically the same plane but slightly shorter and it's dwarfed by some of the more modern 1/144 airliners , not to mention a 747. ?

7 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Looks great. Love the night time pics.

Good thing it's relatively small for an airliner. 

I have a Rodan 1/144 720 which is basically the same plane but slightly shorter and it's dwarfed by some of the more modern 1/144 airliners , not to mention a 747. ?

I'd never have space for more modern airliners! I do have a 1/144 707 and it is significantly smaller next to this jet.????

Nice job Craig!

I built my Heller (I think that was the make)  1:72 B707 probably 25 years ago. I used the stock BOAC decal on it, but I also installed lighting. I used red and green LEDs with fiber optics transmitting light to the wingtips.  This was before white LEDs were available, so I used real Xenon strobe (from a disposable 35mm camera) with a custom built flashing circuit with more fiber optics for the fuselage and wingtips beacons.  I also used small incandescent lights for the landing lights in the wings, but those got so hot that they melted small depressions in the wings.

I had the model displayed in a hobby shop, but got it back when the shop closed. I have no space to display it at home, so it is packed in a box in the basement.

Edited by peteski

On 12/28/2020 at 10:31 PM, peteski said:

Nice job Craig!

I built my Heller (I think that was the make)  1:72 B707 probably 25 years ago. I used the stock BOAC decal on it, but I also installed lighting. I used red and green LEDs with fiber optics transmitting light to the wingtips.  This was before white LEDs were available, so I used real Xenon strobe (from a disposable 35mm camera) with a custom built flashing circuit with more fiber optics for the fuselage and wingtips beacons.  I also used small incandescent lights for the landing lights in the wings, but those got so hot that they melted small depressions in the wings.

I had the model displayed in a hobby shop, but got it back when the shop closed. I have no space to display it at home, so it is packed in a box in the basement.

Hey! Thanks! Love to see photos of your 707! Thanks for sharing your story!????