Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 AMT Impala Coupe with LT5

Spottedlaurel

I love the look of these big old things, especially that long rear end. I only got this kit in the summer but it's jumped the queue somewhat as I quickly got an idea of how I'd like to see it.

50744992857_c221957b6b_b.jpg

1:25 AMT 1967 Chevrolet Impala kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I want to keep the outside plain and simple and maintain a period look with the Keystone Klassics, but give it some modern horsepower with an LT5 from the AMT ZR-1. That recipe worked well on the Monogram '65 Corvette I finished earlier in the year.

50744151158_5edc51563b_b.jpg

For the paint I want it looking like a grocery-getter that was kept in good shape so I'm going for this Sandalwood Beige, which I think was used by Austin-Rover in the early '80s. I'm hoping it will be fairly close to Capri Cream. It'll have a brown interior, need to do a quick trial of something before I commit to that.

In an ideal world I'd have a flat hood without a bulge, but as an easy alternative I've filled the vents - they'd be redundant with the LT5 in any case. The badges have been shaved and I'll probably lose the wheelarch mouldings too, jut to clean up the looks and give it the appearance of a mid-range car that's been given a bit of sympathetic TLC. What I'm creating is probably something of a phantom (or a mongrel!), I just want to build something subtle I'd be happy to see as a 1:1 at a show.

50744151248_186a89988f_b.jpg

50744151423_802835cba2_b.jpg

50744884021_6708caf1bf_b.jpg

Basic trial fit of a few things shows that it should go together nicely, I just need to clamp the chassis and floorpan at the back end.

50744992392_c89dbfe9e3_b.jpg

I don't like the Wide Ovals that came with the MRC wheels, so I'm experimenting with others from the parts box. Some big and littles from a 1980s Fujimi or Aoshima kit will probably do the job.

50744884126_8936c23649_b.jpg

New can of primer was put to good use.

50744150953_68f33390c9_b.jpg

Majority of the LT5 is plated. For now I'm just going to assemble it and give it some flat clear, then I'll see what needs detailing. Interesting to see it compared to the Monogram version I built in the summer.

50744150763_44ddab0193_b.jpg

50744883736_37dc21250c_b.jpg

Looks like it'll fit in here quite happily.

Hoping to make some decent progress on it over the Christmas holiday.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

4 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing this build. I really like those wheels, where did you find them? Accessories for kits seem to be non existent here.

The wheels came from "kits" made by Model Rectifier Corporation somewhere around 15 years ago.  You could choose from various tires including Goodyear Polyglas , Firestone Wide Ovals or Mickey Thompson Indy Profile tires with either Cragar SS or Keystone Klassic wheels.  The kits also features numerous fittings and adapters that would allow you to put the wheels on most other 1/24 and 1/25 kits.

IMNSHO, the wheels were very well done, while the tires were iffy at best with square shoulders and, in the case of the Mickey Thompsons, the words on the sidewall seem to have been placed there randomly.  

The kits originally retailed for around $13.00 (IIRC), but are now hard to find and complete sets usually go for over $50.00.

10 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I like where you're taking this, especially the wheels.  For some reason, many modelers leave these undetailed but they look so much more realistic with the addition of some black paint on the hubs and sides of the spokes.

mcm3.jpg.755678e647a39175c4c3d5c845e95c90.jpg

I used Humbrol#85 0n my last set, but you have several choices of paint to pull this off.

9 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Great stuff, looking forward to seeing this build. I really like those wheels, where did you find them? Accessories for kits seem to be non existent here.

A chance buy off eBay. The same seller had another set I think the Cragar SS that Monty mentions) but I got outbid on them.

For American stuff I tend to rely on swapping around between kits, and the spare sets that come with some of them. For Japanese I have a reasonable stock of Fujimi and Aoshima accessory sets.

5 hours ago, espo said:

I like the engine choice , better than the Big Block that comes in the kit. The one problem you may run into with your wheel choice is the rims diameter and finding tires from other kits that will fit those rims. 

I seem to be getting a few choices with the Japanese tyres. I don't know what the Keystones are meant to be but the Fujimi or Aoshima are probably 14 or 15" at 1:24. Being 'proper' rubber they have a bit of stretch if they're on the small side, and as older style tyres they still have a decent amount of height to the sidewall.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

The wheels came from "kits" made by Model Rectifier Corporation somewhere around 15 years ago.  You could choose from various tires including Goodyear Polyglas , Firestone Wide Ovals or Mickey Thompson Indy Profile tires with either Cragar SS or Keystone Klassic wheels.  The kits also features numerous fittings and adapters that would allow you to put the wheels on most other 1/24 and 1/25 kits.

IMNSHO, the wheels were very well done, while the tires were iffy at best with square shoulders and, in the case of the Mickey Thompsons, the words on the sidewall seem to have been placed there randomly.  

The kits originally retailed for around $13.00 (IIRC), but are now hard to find and complete sets usually go for over $50.00.

Wow! I certainly didn't pay that much for them. Yes, it's that squareness that puts me off using the Wide Ovals they came with.

I remember the dark paint between the spokes being a distinctive part of their look, I plan to get something in there.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:32 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

I love the look of these big old things, especially that long rear end. I only got this kit in the summer but it's jumped the queue somewhat as I quickly got an idea of how I'd like to see it.

50744992857_c221957b6b_b.jpg

I want to keep the outside plain and simple and maintain a period look with the Keystone Klassics, but give it some modern horsepower with an LT5 from the AMT ZR-1. That recipe worked well on the Monogram '65 Corvette I finished earlier in the year.

50744151158_5edc51563b_b.jpg

For the paint I want it looking like a grocery-getter that was kept in good shape so I'm going for this Sandalwood Beige, which I think was used by Austin-Rover in the early '80s. I'm hoping it will be fairly close to Capri Cream. It'll have a brown interior, need to do a quick trial of something before I commit to that.

In an ideal world I'd have a flat hood without a bulge, but as an easy alternative I've filled the vents - they'd be redundant with the LT5 in any case. The badges have been shaved and I'll probably lose the wheelarch mouldings too, jut to clean up the looks and give it the appearance of a mid-range car that's been given a bit of sympathetic TLC. What I'm creating is probably something of a phantom (or a mongrel!), I just want to build something subtle I'd be happy to see as a 1:1 at a show.

50744151248_186a89988f_b.jpg

50744884021_6708caf1bf_b.jpg

Basic trial fit of a few things shows that it should go together nicely, I just need to clamp the chassis and floorpan at the back end.

50744992392_c89dbfe9e3_b.jpg

I don't like the Wide Ovals that came with the MRC wheels, so I'm experimenting with others from the parts box. Some big and littles from a 1980s Fujimi or Aoshima kit will probably do the job.

50744884126_8936c23649_b.jpg

New can of primer was put to good use.

50744150953_68f33390c9_b.jpg

Majority of the LT5 is plated. For now I'm just going to assemble it and give it some flat clear, then I'll see what needs detailing. Interesting to see it compared to the Monogram version I built in the summer.

50744150763_44ddab0193_b.jpg

50744883736_37dc21250c_b.jpg

Looks like it'll fit in here quite happily.

You have mentioned your search for a better tire for these rims. My question is are you wanting a lower profile tire or a smoother sidewall or different tread pattern ? I have a couple of these wheel & tire sets in my stash and I have used them in the past. Should the sidewall be your objection consider sanding the "words" off the side wall and then polish the sidewall to restore the smooth finish. I even did one set where I spry painted the sidewall with a finish coat of flat black for a more natural looking finish. You will need to be very carful putting the tires into the rims so that you don't crack the paint sprayed on the sidewalls. 

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Gonna be a cool looking Impala Nigel.  I'll be watching.

Thanks Mike, I'll do my best. It won't be a faithful replica, but just something I'd be pleased to see.

22 minutes ago, espo said:

You have mentioned your search for a better tire for these rims. My question is are you wanting a lower profile tire or a smoother sidewall or different tread pattern ? I have a couple of these wheel & tire sets in my stash and I have used them in the past. Should the sidewall be your objection consider sanding the "words" off the side wall and then polish the sidewall to restore the smooth finish. I even did one set where I spry painted the sidewall with a finish coat of flat black for a more natural looking finish. You will need to be very carful putting the tires into the rims so that you don't crack the paint sprayed on the sidewalls. 

There's something a bit too square about the MRC Wide Ovals. I'm not so worried about the the sidewall height, I think a car like this needs it. Would also be good to have something a little wider, at the back at least.

I'm hoping the colour will be something like this:

Beige1.JPG.efe3c6c494f705bce1292ce187afc5ef.JPG

Beige2.JPG.7db78e2e3d27eab35c73d56f4fba9034.JPG

I won't be going for the vinyl top however.

I'll follow along, this looks fun. I'm not a fan of beige, but it's your model. I really the like the engine choice as unlike a lot of modern engines, the LT5 is still visually interesting. Yeah an LS is a great engine but it's just so "meh" to look at. Keep it going.

2 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Thanks Mike, I'll do my best. It won't be a faithful replica, but just something I'd be pleased to see.

There's something a bit too square about the MRC Wide Ovals. I'm not so worried about the the sidewall height, I think a car like this needs it. Would also be good to have something a little wider, at the back at least.

I'm hoping the colour will be something like this:

Beige1.JPG.efe3c6c494f705bce1292ce187afc5ef.JPG

Beige2.JPG.7db78e2e3d27eab35c73d56f4fba9034.JPG

I won't be going for the vinyl top however.

I like that you're forgoing the Vinyl Roof as I think it disrupts the flow of the Roof Line into the rear Quarters, Wings maybe? I think your Wheel & Tire set has the Micky Thompson Tires. They did has a wide shoulder on the treat and a 90 degree edge between the tread and the sidewall. You could try a little sanding in that area to soften the edge. The OEM colors for the '67 Impala had both a light beige color, like your photo, and a very light yellow color that was very popular here. 

On 12/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, Jantrix said:

I'll follow along, this looks fun. I'm not a fan of beige, but it's your model. I really the like the engine choice as unlike a lot of modern engines, the LT5 is still visually interesting. Yeah an LS is a great engine but it's just so "meh" to look at. Keep it going.

On 12/24/2020 at 4:01 AM, Rbray47 said:

I'm digging it so far. Like the engine choice. I picked up a handful of those Corvettes cheap for the same purpose. 

Thanks Randy and Rob. I keep a lookout for any cheap 1990s Corvettes, Mustangs and Vipers for these engine swaps. They aren't cars I'm particularly interested in building, so I don't feel bad about using them for parts.

That being said, this AMT Corvette looks like it would be a quick, simple curbside build so I might try to do something with it.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:11 PM, espo said:

I like that you're forgoing the Vinyl Roof as I think it disrupts the flow of the Roof Line into the rear Quarters, Wings maybe? I think your Wheel & Tire set has the Micky Thompson Tires. They did has a wide shoulder on the treat and a 90 degree edge between the tread and the sidewall. You could try a little sanding in that area to soften the edge. The OEM colors for the '67 Impala had both a light beige color, like your photo, and a very light yellow color that was very popular here. 

They're definitely the Firestone Wide Ovals. I think they'd be OK for a truck or a van, just not a car. I'm sure I'll find something else, there's plenty of room in the arches.

Haven't spent a lot of time on it, but the odd half hour here and there has got it moving forward nicely.....

50767168408_29af68d1b8_b.jpg

1:25 1967 Chevrolet Impala kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

50767906016_55874ce2a6_b.jpg

I was pleased with how the flat clear knocked back the shine of the plated engine and gearbox. That was a tip I picked up on here.

Also, the way the engine fits is remarkably close to the original, this is going to be much easier than the LT5 into '65 Corvette swap.

50767168258_72612885c4_b.jpg

The biggest difference is the length of the gearbox and the extra depth at the back end.

50767168073_14bb01d2f7_b.jpg

With that support removed from the crossmember the engine and 'box sit dead level. I'll reattach it to the back of the crossmember instead, and shorten the propshaft slightly.

50767906151_f291195af5_b.jpg

After priming I've given the interior a bit of metallic bronze paint - not sure exactly what colour it is, just a generic automotive colour I picked up recently, although possibly Ford Roman Bronze (popular on late '70s European cars). Without a clearcoat it seems to have a suitable sheen but not too much shine, so I probably won't give it any semi-matt clearcoat which was an option.

50767168013_6f68fea4ae_b.jpg

I'm going to use some white under the Sandalwood Beige, in this case it's Tamiya Racing White. I know that the floorpan probably wouldn't be finished like this from the factory, but let's say this is how it was painted when restored and modified. It also gives me a chance to see the colour before I get the shell painted.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Great work so far. This my favourite type of build - something that represents a modified car as you my see in a 1:1 world. The kind of mods an everyday guy would do in a home workshop. It gives you free license to not worry too much about factory original colours. I guess in the 1:1 world most would use an LS engine, but the ZR1’s engine does looks the business!

looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Looking at your floor pan, you may want to pull back on your spraying technique. I'm seeing a lot of puddling of paint in low areas, and paint drawing away from high points and edges. This is what happens when you spray paint too heavy/wet hoping for quick coverage. Light mist coats first, with ample dry time between will yield a much better finished appearance. Some paints are worse than others exhibiting this effect, but the cure is the same for all. Your build is looking very nice so far, I'd hate to see the paint bring it down! Good luck and keep it coming!

22 hours ago, beeRS said:

Great work so far. This my favourite type of build - something that represents a modified car as you my see in a 1:1 world. The kind of mods an everyday guy would do in a home workshop. It gives you free license to not worry too much about factory original colours. I guess in the 1:1 world most would use an LS engine, but the ZR1’s engine does looks the business!

looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

Thanks Sonny. There are a couple of cars that stick in my mind from recent show visits, both very clean and retaining most of their brightwork. They're clearly in excellent condition and modified, but they don't shout about it and the what has been done looks to be well-engineered, high quality work. By coincidence both are beige, 1960s Fords, but the same principle can be applied to pretty much anything:

image.jpeg.77d1b31984d07f418a1e4d4f3d34bc52.jpeg

This one has what appears to be a Lotus Esprit V8.

50204445263_b26389fa53_b.jpg

1966 Ford Corsair by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

For some years this ran an injected Pinto, after a comprehensive resto it's now back to V4 again but with injection and other mod's.

Much as I like my 1:1 1980 Datsun Laurel in original guise with its old straight-six engine, I can see it being a very pleasant thing if fitted with a later Nissan RB engine and some suspension/brake upgrades. It's very unlikely that will ever happen, but at least I can partly fulfil these daydreams in plastic.....

4 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Looking at your floor pan, you may want to pull back on your spraying technique. I'm seeing a lot of puddling of paint in low areas, and paint drawing away from high points and edges. This is what happens when you spray paint too heavy/wet hoping for quick coverage. Light mist coats first, with ample dry time between will yield a much better finished appearance. Some paints are worse than others exhibiting this effect, but the cure is the same for all. Your build is looking very nice so far, I'd hate to see the paint bring it down! Good luck and keep it coming!

You're spot-on there Rusty, and I probably was guilty of exactly that. Not exactly ideal conditions for spraying here at present, a combination of it being cold, the floorpan having received no prep so it would have had a few high points/sharp edges and the grey primer being fairly dark gave it that look. However, the white was only meant to be a base coat and I took care to get the room and spray can up to a better temperature yesterday when I sprayed it beige:

image.jpeg.2f945b3768dedf9abb1e9c23f457d836.jpeg

For how often I'm ever going to look at the underside I'm happy with that. The fuel tank has since been painted. There's just enough room for the transmission without having to enlarge the tunnel, after a bit of strategic shaving off the top of the gearbox.

The beige went down very nicely, it gave a decent shine straight out of the can on primer and base coat that hadn't been sanded-down between coats, so I can only hope for the same if not better when I do the main bodywork. I'm hoping to avoid using clear, as non-metallic colours look a little more authentic to me that way, and this appears to be feasible. Looks acceptably close to the Capri Cream to my eyes and will contrast nicely with the bronze interior.

I'm in two minds about whether to fit some high-back seats. Given the likely performance of this thing I imagine they'd be desirable, but the original buckets look great with the open, pillarless sides and that goes better with my subtle restomod look. If I was going for full pro-touring then I would swap them.

One mod I'd like to make is to have the grille without the SS emblem. I think I have two options here, the first is to carefully drill/cut it off, and reinstate afterwards with BMF, and the second would be to buy the Supernatural Impala. Given that the latter isn't easily available here, and costs around £40 when any do show up, I'll investigate the removal option.....

Thanks all! Now the long-term, hastily-finished '55 is out of the way I've made more progress with this one:

50800526198_b6b09da6f6_b.jpg

Got the first couple of coats of Sandalwood Beige on it, needs more but I'm happy with how it's starting to look.

50800527828_3c4cfedfd5_b.jpg

50801385442_7f28d1497e_b.jpg

Couldn't resist a quick mock-up on the wheels. Looks like it needs a bit of rake, hopefully I can get it sitting this low. Next job is a trial fit of the suspension to see how it sits out of the box.

I like the positive fit of the body onto the chassis/floorpan assembly. Hopefully that's still the case with the interior and glass installed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 11:44 PM, disconovaman said:

Wow! nice work on this! The Keystones would look good with some redlines...

Thanks Gareth. I'm not sure if I have any redlines, and I think I've now settled on the best tyres (can't remember what they're from, probably Fujimi or Aoshima).

On 1/5/2021 at 1:14 AM, AMT68 said:

Great paint job on a great looking car. The color reminds me of Palomino Ivory a 1968 Chevy color.

Thank you Tom, and I can only take your word for that! Just seen a nice build on here of a 1966 Cadillac in Bahama Sand which also looked similar, so it feels like the right kind of colour for the era.

On 1/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, espo said:

I also like the Beige color on this. The Wheels are what really takes this catch your eye along with the stance. 

Thanks David. I only hope I can achieve that stance in reality. It's difficult to mock-up with the suspension dry-fitted, and I've a feeling it may change slightly when the full interior and glass are installed, so final adjustment may have to take place when it's almost complete.

If I can get close to how this one sits I'll be happy:

For Sale 1967 Chevrolet Impala

This one's good too, although I think the tyres are a little too shallow in the sidewall:

218243_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Just noticed the various grille/light/bumper treatments. Looks like the AMT kit is closest to this one:

image.png.e8d92c0b0d5d3a41f4862af2fd65f6ea.png

At present I've got unpainted vertical pieces, but I like the look of it with them painted as  it gives the front end more horizontal emphasis, making it look wider and cleaner - might give that a try.

50869413987_d2abbae610_b.jpg

50869316331_de4e6dfc5f_b.jpg

I'm not sure if it had been polished when I took these photos, but it has been now and it's got the look I was after.

50868602068_8d628e269f_b.jpg

Still no fitment issues now the engine has most of its ancillaries fitted. I'm hoing to use the Corvette's twin-fan radiator set-up as that also includes the air intake.

At this point I'm debating what to about the underbonnet area. I suspect some of those moulded-in hoses and components wouldn't be necessary with the LT5 installation, should've thought of that before I painted the bodyshell.......

Edited by Spottedlaurel