Model Cars Magazine Forum

Indy-ish Monogram Midget

I'm a little disappointed in my decals--more specifically, in myself, for not doing them properly. Live and learn. The next ones will be better! Okay, so, with this project, I learned a way to make louvers. I made a piano hinge, as well, and some pretty small soldered assemblies. I had a lot of fun with it! You can check put the WIP thread, here:

It was about twenty years in the making, and ended up being way more complex than  intended! I like the way it looks, in spite of the things I could have done better. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0029cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

DSC_0033cr.jpg

DSC_0039cr.jpg

DSC_0048cr.jpg

DSC_0049cr.jpg

DSC_0058cr.jpg

DSC_0089cr.jpg

I had done a bit of cutting and stretching on a Monogram Midget decades ago with a similar end goal to what you have achieved here.  Then it went back in the box. I thinkIi now have the ultimate blueprint!

And I love the seat upholstery detail - I hope I am up to the challenge!

Thank you for sharing this magic model with us all.

Cheers

Alan

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

I had done a bit of cutting and stretching on a Monogram Midget decades ago with a similar end goal to what you have achieved here.  Then it went back in the box. I thinkIi now have the ultimate blueprint!

And I love the seat upholstery detail - I hope I am up to the challenge!

Thank you for sharing this magic model with us all.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks, Alan! I am always happy to share my work, and how I accomplished it. I recall earlier in the building process, we discussed that the  car is too tall. If I had it to do over, I would extend the wheelbase, as I did, but, I would also section about 1/8"-3/16" from the length of the body. I think those two things, along with lowering the suspension would get it there! You can do  it, for sure, my friend!

Thank you, Bruce and Chris!

Dear Daniel, this is the catch when someone can end up delivering a model of this caliber, there is always one little detail that can be frustrating and that one constantly focuses on.  This is nothing short of a very high caliber build and you have achieved details that few people can claim to have successfully accomplished!   I'm jealous of your louvers and hope to have the chance to put your technique to work on one of my models one of these days.  Look at it closely... I'm probably repeating myself but your twenty years of good work produced a little MASTERPIECE!!! ?❤️

Thank you, gentlemen! I am humbled by your kind words.

14 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Dear Daniel, this is the catch when someone can end up delivering a model of this caliber, there is always one little detail that can be frustrating and that one constantly focuses on.  This is nothing short of a very high caliber build and you have achieved details that few people can claim to have successfully accomplished!   I'm jealous of your louvers and hope to have the chance to put your technique to work on one of my models one of these days.  Look at it closely... I'm probably repeating myself but your twenty years of good work produced a little MASTERPIECE!!! ?❤️

Francis, that is so true, about the artist, and their creations--every one of them has something that drives the artist nuts! Nobody else ever seems to notice. Thank you for your encouragement, sir! You have everything you need, to do the louvers. It only took a 1/4" long angled slot, with the .032" end mill, and the modified wood chisel. I want to get a small arbor press, so I don't have to take my drill press apart, every time I want to cut louvers! I always appreciate your commentary. It does look pretty!

17 minutes ago, Earl Marischal said:

I have enjoyed this one all along the way and am highly impressed with finished article.

A Gold Star for your work Daniel!

steve

You certainly have been supportive of this effort, Steve! I appreciate it. Thanks for the windshield  template, as well. It made that easier than starting from complete scratch.

Thank you, Gerald. If you're referring to the material between the seat and the  body, that is made from pieces of a black plastic trash bag! It really has a leather-like texture.

Daniel! The finished product is wonderful. I really enjoyed attaching you solve all the challenges with creating the bits and pieces. So much good stuff, cleanly done. I thought the louvers were may favorite, but now I'm really liking the hood straps. But the best part... it was going to be a quickie restart of a dead project that just kept getting better. That's building for yourself!

Excellent work!

Scott

10 minutes ago, Scott Colmer said:

Daniel! The finished product is wonderful. I really enjoyed attaching you solve all the challenges with creating the bits and pieces. So much good stuff, cleanly done. I thought the louvers were may favorite, but now I'm really liking the hood straps. But the best part... it was going to be a quickie restart of a dead project that just kept getting better. That's building for yourself!

Excellent work!

Scott

Thank you, so much, Scott! I'm happy you enjoyed watching it come together. I learned a lot, with this one, for sure. And, it was a lot of fun! It seems  that most of my projects "develop legs", and I just end up chasing after them! I really appreciate your kind words,sir.