Model Cars Magazine Forum

models destroyed

This happened a couple of months ago and I am just now getting my feet back under me!

at one time I had about 150 builds stored on shelving for display in my hobby shop "LARRY'S RACING MUSEUM"

most of the builds were early model super mods "Skeeters' the rest were scratch built LM sportsmen dirt racer, most replicas of cars that ran here on the Newberry Speedway Racecourse,

During the latter part of June I had to be admittet into the hospital with a hole in my colon and while in ICU I coughed and blew my colon out

I spent two months in ICU another 4 weeks in a hall room then another 4 weeks in a nursing home1

when I got home my family took me out to my shop and let me see the damage

the cars had all been swept off the shelves and destroyed I was devastated but made up my mind (aftr crying my eyes out) to rebuild and rebuild I did and am still doing!

what I am saying is this

dont let things get you down if they do get back up and fight

If I had given up I think that by just sitting around I would not be here today

By the grace of GOD am still alive and kicking when all the doctors at the hospital had given me up for a dead man God kept me on earth !!!!!!!!

KEEP YOUR SHOPS, SHEDS, HOMES, GARAGES, LOCKED!!!!!!

lILSQUIRT

Edited by lilsquirt

What an incredible bummer, I feel the pain myself.

In 1991, my model collection dating back to 1964 or so was thrown out by my step mother. Everything was stored at my Dad's house in the basement since I was doing a big renovation project at my newly acquired house.

They announced that they were selling the house and could I please get my model stuff packed up and moved out. I went over on a Monday night, looked over how much was there and said I'd be back Wednesday night with enough boxes to accomplish the task. Wednesday comes around, I'm there with the boxes and everything is GONE.

My brother took a bigger loss with a complete pickup truck and his prized 327 Chevy engine in the bed which also vanished. She couldn't (or wouldn't) tell us who took the goods away. Needless to say, this and an array of other unpleasantries over the years has put a serious damper on our relationship and also unfortunately with my Dad.

I could go on, but it wouldn't be in the best interest of modeling. My take on step mothers since then is, avoid them at all costs! I've recently told my kids that is anything ever happened to their Mom, I'd never hang the step mother albatross around their necks. I'd rather opt for high priced hookers if I wanted any close female companionship from that point on.

Messing with anyone's models or anything that they care about is a total affront to who they are. I am the models, the models are me.

Bob

lilsquirt,

First, congratulations and you have my well wishes to you for taking the loss so well, and taking constructive measures to restore your collection. Shows maturity and humane-ness.

I am by far farthest from the top echelon of builders here, despite my experience and years of modelbuilding, but one thing after all these years, is I have confidence in plastic. Unless a body or part is completely destroyed, I feel I have the ability to restore just about anything, except major burnt models or if th body is completely warped. The other consolation is that many models are available to provide the parts needed for restoration, either at the hobby shop or on one of the websites handling no longer in production cars or on Ebay. The good part is that your skills may have developed since the event, and with your new attitude after hospitalization, the models you restore just may turn out better.

Right now, I am in the process of restoring about 10 models some in progress and some almost done. The biggest challenge right now is a 1/16 Scale 55 Chev Nomad in which the very large body has warped and a A pillar broken. But that is the challenge, and when other projects are drying, I go to this one and try to accomplish something every day.

Also, I have had my devastating losses which I wrote about, like theft of my best 3 cars, and my current exwife inadvertently threw out about 12 projects in their boxes from my garage/workshop while I was at the rest home recoveirng from a hip operation. I was devastated, but I am just one model shy of complete replacement and restoration - a 61 Ford Galaxie Styline, which I still haven't located, and a couple of years ago, I had the chance and literally blew it. My fault this time.

So, good luck, and may the wind be in your sails and hope you have a complete pain free recovery.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

Guest 66dragfreak

Ex-wives seem to have the knack for hitting us where it hurts. When my ex and I were going through a rough patch, she held a yard sale one Saturday while I was working. When i came home later that evening and went downstairs to my model room, the shelves were empty except for a few kits that she didn't feel were "worth much", according to her own words. I lost so many vontage kits that day it still makes me sick.

Everything from AMT big rigs to Jo-Han drag cars and old Monogram, MPC, AMT, and Revell kits from the 60-s through the 80's. Over 300 kits in all went away that day for a measley $1.00 per kit. I never was able to recover the majority of those kits either and I never found out who bought all of mine. Needless to say, the fight we had that night could probably be heard for 10 square miles. We never recouped over the "rough patch" either and divorced a year or so later.

The only other really devestating loss I experienced happened this past year when my oldest son decided to go to the hobbyshop where I have several of my models on display. He stole some of my best builds to pawn for money. I lost a car I spent a year working on that had been detailed extensively as well as several others that turned out very well. I did manage to get a couple of my builds back from the local pawn shop, but I am still missing my super build and a couple others. I also lost thousands of dollars in Snap-On tools that he took from my parents' house as well as my sport bike which I only rode twice after purchasing it this past spring. In this instance, it's not about losing the models as much as it is about failing in the rearing of my son and losing him all for the sake of a few dollars and dishonesty. Be thankful that all you lost was some models and not a son or daughter due to the poor choices the made. ;)

I'm glad to see you have the drive to rebuild your collection and I hope you decide to share the progress you make with us here. I know I would love to see they work you do to bring your collection back to life!!

I will tell yall that the police wouldn't touch the case! Why? because it wasn't a felony.

I have worked all my life and am now retired from the newspaper businessand a part time rent a cop at Newberry College! Then I was well respected as a card carring police officer

But now since my retirement no one notices me

Everyone knows who broke into my shop but we cannot prove it!

DAG BURN IT!

Anyway I will post some of my rebuilds when I can get ahold of my daughter in law camera! hehehehehehehehehe :P

see yall all later

lilsquirt

66dragfreak

I am sorry to hear what your son did. Maybe he should have gotten a part time job to get the money he needed, because he would have known he was going to get caught. He left too many tracks. My daughter went through a tough time a couple of years ago, but she left my stuff alone.

I've had two wives and 2 children, and both of them knew how much I valued my cars and trains, and when they had a little emotional hurt, they each inflicted damage on me which left a permanent scar. When my first wife and I separated, I left with as much as I could put in my car and on my boat to my new place. We made bitter attempts to reconcile but the general word to both of us was that we needed to change our behavior, habits and attitude before any reconciliation. I tried my best, but it seemed to me, she was unbending, and even said, I should have known better when I married her. When it became evident that the separation was permanent, she called me in my office one day and said, "Come and get your stuff" and out in the front yard, was my entire collection of trains and cars subject to weather and bypassing traffic and school kids. Somehow I managed to hear something in what she said, so I booked it over there pronto. I piled everything in my car, found a shady spot at work and took everything home.

I was incredibly embittered, more than even I could believe.

It turned out that she had a hard time reconciling herself with divorce, and tried to commit suicide several times. Every time she called me, and finally I told her I just didn't care anymore. That stopped her, but whenever I think of her even 20 years later, I remember those boxes of trains and cars parked on my front yard. I have forgiven her, but will never be friendly old Ken to her.......ever.

Ken "FloridaBoy" Willaman

I think it's pathetic that some one would destroy something so personal.sounds like a lot of scratch-building was involved . I hope it wasn't a complete loss and you are able to salvage most of them. on a lighter note it sounds like the way to go is to avoid getting married to that first wife and just marry the second one unless you're storing models for your kids. I've been fortunate I haven't had many model losses but it's funny my mom cleaned my room and threw away one tire and I discovered it within 15 minutes and she hasn't lived it down since.I wish everyone well that has suffered these major set backs.

Lilsquirt, sorry to here about your break in. I hope you are paying attention to getting well, though. Perhaps there are ways to deal with those malcontents in a...er...private manner. Not suggesting anything bad, just sayin'.

66dragfreak, when family do that to family, you no longer have a family. I got some of those in mine. They know they will be greeted with a very bad dog and a weapon if they come around here.

What an incredible bummer, I feel the pain myself.

In 1991, my model collection dating back to 1964 or so was thrown out by my step mother. Everything was stored at my Dad's house in the basement since I was doing a big renovation project at my newly acquired house.

They announced that they were selling the house and could I please get my model stuff packed up and moved out. I went over on a Monday night, looked over how much was there and said I'd be back Wednesday night with enough boxes to accomplish the task. Wednesday comes around, I'm there with the boxes and everything is GONE.

My brother took a bigger loss with a complete pickup truck and his prized 327 Chevy engine in the bed which also vanished. She couldn't (or wouldn't) tell us who took the goods away. Needless to say, this and an array of other unpleasantries over the years has put a serious damper on our relationship and also unfortunately with my Dad.

I could go on, but it wouldn't be in the best interest of modeling. My take on step mothers since then is, avoid them at all costs! I've recently told my kids that is anything ever happened to their Mom, I'd never hang the step mother albatross around their necks. I'd rather opt for high priced hookers if I wanted any close female companionship from that point on.

Messing with anyone's models or anything that they care about is a total affront to who they are. I am the models, the models are me.

Bob

two words my friend

KILL HER

if my stepdad did that he would vanish in the middle of the night

no B.S. he would be gone

the models and the truck with a 327 oh my god i would torture her if i was in your's and your bro's shoes

Everyone knows who broke into my shop but we cannot prove it!

lilsquirt

1 st: Prayers and well-wishes for a speedy recovery.

2nd: Go to the local wal-mart, or whatever... go to the magazine section... tear out a subscription card from every magazine they carry... EVERY ONE!!! Then fill in the persons name and address and check the "bill me later" box. Then mail them all in (no postage necessary).

3rd: Sit back and relax, content in the knowledge that all is right with the world. (repeat as often as is necessary to keep this feeling...)

Dave-

;):o;):lol: Dave

Really the models weren't nothing compaired as to what occured in the hospital before my shop was broken into!

When I blew out my colon in ICU for the second time every doctor was called in to review my case and the diagnoises wasn't good at all, there was too much in my stomach cavity that had been Destroyed and They told my family that the odds were 99 to 1 that ai wouldn't pull through!

I had died! Actually died right there in that ICU bed! however after traveling that road from which no traveler returns , I met ST. MICHAEL at the entrance to those golden gates! ST. MICHAEL looked at me and said "Larry, go home! you are not through on earth! We have other plans for you there!"

I then put myself in the hands of the lord!

I have never been much of a church goer but now with the help of my Baptist church and the members thereof I have stsrted a youth group called "Models for Christ"!

the kids in the group each chose a model that they like, some cars, some boats, some planes,whatever they like, then with me and some church volenteers the kids build the models and paint them however they want!

So far we have a dozen kids and most are from broken homes who was just roving the neighborhood, we have brought them back to God and off the streets

Every wed night a new kid will walk in to the church rec hall , we show him (or her) which models we have on hand and the the kids eyes will light up and after a short prayer we Have snagged another one off the streets! ,

Remember that song?

Another one bites the dust!

well change it to

another one for Jesus!!! :D

lilsquirt

When I split with my long time partner I was told by text to get all my stuff out. I'm not going to elaborate on the reasons but I think it was only my sons involvement in making some of my cars that prevented her from destroying them.

I do not think rebuilding the stuff I had made, even a few rare kits would have been a problem as that was in my past life,but destroying something between me and my son would have hurt more. The other stuff is just plastic parts glued together in my spare time.

Don't get me wrong please, to have stuff destroyed by a stranger is like a personal invasion like any break in, but thieves destroy all sorts of things out of frustration sometimes.

If I was in your position and caught whoever destroyed your stuff, forgiveness? I dont know but think I would like to see them pay in some way though, and make sure they remember it.

J

two words my friend

KILL HER

if my stepdad did that he would vanish in the middle of the night

no B.S. he would be gone

the models and the truck with a 327 oh my god i would torture her if i was in your's and your bro's shoes

It did cross my mind, but would open other cans of worms. Plus my bro is a Christian and it would go against his beliefs. It was a defining moment and let everyone know what she was all about. I actually wish her a LONG life since she has so many health problems and is in constant pain.

Bob

It did cross my mind, but would open other cans of worms. Plus my bro is a Christian and it would go against his beliefs. It was a defining moment and let everyone know what she was all about. I actually wish her a LONG life since she has so many health problems and is in constant pain.

Bob

ah i get you smart my friend very smart

my ex was arrested for Grand Larceny after she ran off with some built models cars and a lowrider bicycle when we broke up, i never got the cars back, her brother paid me what i thought they were worth and now that i look back at it i feel like i ripped him off. her new BF had my bike which i got back in a good ol fashioned bike jacking. i saw her last year she apologized about thw whole incident and i was surprised she was much more mature at 26 than when we were 17.

just cought this one . i my self feel your pain, not as many luckly but had my house broke into and vandalised . i only lost about 13 models have relaced about 8 to many other started prodjects to start rebuilding the damaged ones still having hard time working on models in my hobby space but been trying to keep going so between two differnt club meetings a month im getting alittle done . hang in there the person or persons will get theirs some day .

Very sorry to hear of your health issues, but glad to hear you made it through! Hang in there man, it cant get any worse, it can only get better. You have seen rock bottom. As have I. I was paralyzed in a motorclycle accident 5 1/2 years ago by a hit and run driver. Everybody gets theirs. I am a firm believer in Karma. You reep what you sow. My dad always said do onto others and you would want them to do onto you. It sucks that your models got destroyed but it gives you something to do while you recover! Right after my 3 month stay at the University of Michigan hospital, I built 7 cars in a row after about a 10 year hiatus. I do most of my buiding in the wintertime, or when it is too hot to be outside. Other than that, I am outside or playing with the 1:1 at the dragstrip. I wish you a full recovery! As far as the perpetrator goes, remember, 3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead! A friend will help you move, but a GOOD friend will help you move a body! Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!

Rudy

Edited by Rudy

I'm so sorry to hear this......though, you have turned adversity into something very positive. I was in ICU for 10 days after a car accident a couple of years ago, and that isnt anyone's idea of fun. I cant imagine how tough that must have been to be in the hospital for so long and then come home to your models having been destroyed. It makes my story seem inconsequential. I had filed for divorce and the soon to be ex-wife was really p*$$#@. I changed the locks, but she got in anyhow. I came home to find that she had carefully laid out all my finished models, about 40 of them, and had jumped up and down on them smashing them to pieces. Some were in so many pieces that they couldnt be fixed. Others, like a 55 Chevy that had won a contest, was only smashed enough to need a new body and windows. I kept most of them, and theyre still in my closet, but it turned me off modeling for 20 years. You should be proud of what you have accomplished, and for not giving up. Good job!

And why is it that certain women don't like our hobbies?

I'm so sorry to hear this......though, you have turned adversity into something very positive. I was in ICU for 10 days after a car accident a couple of years ago, and that isnt anyone's idea of fun. I cant imagine how tough that must have been to be in the hospital for so long and then come home to your models having been destroyed. It makes my story seem inconsequential. I had filed for divorce and the soon to be ex-wife was really p*$$#@. I changed the locks, but she got in anyhow. I came home to find that she had carefully laid out all my finished models, about 40 of them, and had jumped up and down on them smashing them to pieces. Some were in so many pieces that they couldnt be fixed. Others, like a 55 Chevy that had won a contest, was only smashed enough to need a new body and windows. I kept most of them, and theyre still in my closet, but it turned me off modeling for 20 years. You should be proud of what you have accomplished, and for not giving up. Good job!

And why is it that certain women don't like our hobbies?

When my brother was going through a divorce w/ his ex wife about 25 years ago, she took his record collection--probably 200 LPs--and smashed them all to bits. He then ripped out the support posts under the back deck of the house, causing the deck to collapse. She then torched his '74 Trans Am in the driveway. Luckily, none of his model cars or Aurora Thunderjets slot car set were harmed, as he had given those to me a few years before.

Where in the world do you guys find these evil wimmin? My GF of nine years would never do that and she even buys me stuff she finds at swap meets. I am a firm believer that one has to be friends first with the ones you love. I know people who are in love with people they don't even like. Stop thinking with the "little" brain.

NAAAAAAA! I have been married for 45 years and happy years

My lady (not my old lady) has stuck beside me through thick and thin!

when ever I had to be hospitalized~heart, Colon whatever Carleen sat beside me through it all, everytime I would wake up she would be there for me!!

All women aint bad ~~~~ I got a KEEPER!

She might not be the prettest woman in the world but to me she is a doll,she weiighs about 200 lbs and has a front tooth missing but who cares! at least zi don't have to worryy about her running off with another guy ha ha ha ha ha he he he heeeeeeeeeeeee!

she was as hurt and as mad as I was when we discovered the break in~~she knew how many hours I had spent on my builds!!

lilsquirt