Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette Indy Concept by Revell

VanSpence

I don't know why I thought my first attempt at cutting out doors would be a good idea with this kit. It is a super complicated door and the body ends up in all kinds of parts and piece but hey, I did it and I actually finished it as well. I do love this kit and this car and likely I will do another one in the future with likely without the complicated doors but we will see... 

For the most part this is a great and simple kit and actually ends up as a lovely piece for the shelf. 

Full build on my YouTube channel. 

Thanks for looking. 

IMG_20201224_080335_1.jpg.ba076f12a2cdd502be4e5d8c54779a18.jpg

IMG_20201224_080145_1.jpg.f12787735bfb2208d0c48bc2fcdd0855.jpg

IMG_20201224_080114_1.jpg.63a7b4196f6c50d5ff8b46153fdafd50.jpg

IMG_20201224_080049_1.jpg.b61616c05977d16704aff502a6a3eefa.jpg

IMG_20201224_080035_1.jpg.39642a7bed9c5cc9305e3a25559f48de.jpg

IMG_20201224_080003_1.jpg.8c8ee3d79cab72ae27bbdbfff15fa978.jpg

IMG_20201224_075945_1.jpg.5c540798ce3887e689830278aa07c827.jpg

IMG_20201224_075334_1.thumb.jpg.7cd75d4eac8798a3ae209f23b301163a.jpg

IMG_20201224_075312_1.jpg.bb60a01875deb61f9a7f3f164e1db1e8.jpg

IMG_20201224_075252_1.jpg.1d3bfac2823aa6265af4b0a8ca095e1d.jpg

IMG_20201224_075924_1.jpg.38856a30870aac82d121f0938983126d.jpg

On 12/27/2020 at 2:41 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

Thank you

On 12/27/2020 at 2:45 AM, Spottedlaurel said:

Well done for persevering with the doors, looks good.

It was worth the effort I think! Thanks! 

On 12/27/2020 at 5:22 AM, Intmd8r said:

Looks great!

Thank you. 

On 12/27/2020 at 5:24 AM, Len Woodruff said:

Nice

Thanks. 

On 12/27/2020 at 6:12 AM, TooOld said:

That's super nice !  Don't think I've ever seen one of these built before , it really does build up nice .  And you opened the doors ! :D

I have seen a few in the last year on some of the Facebook groups I am in but only 2 that I can recall. It is actually a really nice kit and I have another that I am thinking of a few things I can do with it to build it again. Not sure I would do the doors again...maybe. 

On 12/27/2020 at 9:01 AM, slusher said:

Sharp and clean model!!

Thanks! 

On 12/27/2020 at 5:14 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Well done! Great job on the doors!

Thank you. The doors were a challenge but worth the experience. 

I enjoyed the pictures. Great job with the kit and what is more to open the doors.

I was "infected" with the idea to open doors (or anything else what to open on a car) by a friend of mine before many years. I`m glad to see that you got this "infection" too ! IMO the openeable doors, etc. are an important part of our endevour to make a model lifelike as far we are able to do.

Spence, awesome work on the open doors and the engine compartment detail as well. 

That kit does not have an opening rear hatch, and your work looks like it was designed that way!  You have a lot of extra detailing in the rear.

I built this kit, and yes, it builds up very nice.  Good to see someone else accomplish the task, with beautiful added detail to boot. 

Nicely done. If you want to build another there was also a non running silver Indy built. The only photos I've seen of it also had the center roof panels removed. I wish we could have more kits of Corvette concepts to build,  but then being a long time Vette fan I'm a little prejudiced. I saw the car sometime back and it is a beautiful car, just not that practical but then who says concepts should be practical. Revell also brought out a kit of the Pontiac Banshee around the same time which would make a great companion model to yours.

Robert, the CERVIII was a prototype, more of a production intent Corvette Indy.  The design was similar however it was way less attractive and sophisticated in reality, as engineering got involved to make things work....very common for GM back then.

However, notice this thing could be road ready pretty easily, and is taller, longer and more slab sided, but packed with real cool technology.  And in technology, I am not talking about today's BS technology like big distraction screens and beeping seats and water coolers...

page58_2.jpg

The rounded Camaro followed the Corvette Indy design theme pretty much.

Very nice model, Spence.  Good job.

I believe the Olds Aerotech was a contemporary concept project also;  Corvette Indy, Pontiac Banshee, and Olds Aerotech were sorta cousins. Although GM kept its divisions separate, there is a lot of cross-pollination and shared/blended influences among the three.

The Corvette Indy was developed first as a (non-functional) design concept in 1985 and converted to a fully functional, operational concept car in 1986.

The Oldsmobile Aerotech was developed in 1987.

The Pontiac Banshee was developed in 1988.

All three underwent continuing refinement during their "lifetimes" before being retired to GM museums.

??

On 12/29/2020 at 3:59 AM, Modlbldr said:

Beautiful job on your build. It looks perfect and the extra work on opening the doors just adds to the overall high quality. I don't recall ever seeing one of these built but it does look like a well detailed kit.

Later-

Thank you. I have seen a few of these in the last year but not many at all. It is a shame, it is a very cool looking car and actually a pretty good kit considering its age. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:41 AM, caapa said:

I enjoyed the pictures. Great job with the kit and what is more to open the doors.

I was "infected" with the idea to open doors (or anything else what to open on a car) by a friend of mine before many years. I`m glad to see that you got this "infection" too ! IMO the openeable doors, etc. are an important part of our endevour to make a model lifelike as far we are able to do.

I have a few more kits that I now want to open the doors on. Lol. I find the difficulty with opening doors is not the door itself or the hinge but the doorjambs. Sculpting and styrene is not my thing. 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:56 AM, steveracer said:

Spence, awesome work on the open doors and the engine compartment detail as well. 

That kit does not have an opening rear hatch, and your work looks like it was designed that way!  You have a lot of extra detailing in the rear.

I built this kit, and yes, it builds up very nice.  Good to see someone else accomplish the task, with beautiful added detail to boot. 

Thank you so much for the compliments. I have no idea of the rear actually opened that way or not but it was easier then trying to open it the other way! Haha

On 12/29/2020 at 8:02 AM, 89AKurt said:

Cool looking car, why did Chevrolet take so long to go mid engine?  I'm sure those "Lambo" doors were fun to hinge.  Looks good!

The doors did present some challenge, mostly around the front wheel well as there is zero structure there under the body so a bunch of fabrication needed to be done. It is still not quite correct but it is good enough to get by!! Haha 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:21 AM, robertw said:

Nicely done. If you want to build another there was also a non running silver Indy built. The only photos I've seen of it also had the center roof panels removed. I wish we could have more kits of Corvette concepts to build,  but then being a long time Vette fan I'm a little prejudiced. I saw the car sometime back and it is a beautiful car, just not that practical but then who says concepts should be practical. Revell also brought out a kit of the Pontiac Banshee around the same time which would make a great companion model to yours.

I have been happy with the Corvette concepts that Revell has done. I have an aerovette that will be done early 2021 sometime as well. I believe the silver one ended up being painted red with a slightly updated interior from the first concept and then the second one was built which is now at the Corvette museum. There is a great video on YouTube from the museums that really shows the interior. The Revell kit is clearly the second car as the interior is quite different from the first, especially the steering column display and stalks. Either way, I do have another kit on hand that will end up silver. Not sure I will open the doors on it as well but I will cut the roof again for sure. I did also build the Stingray III not that long ago. 

I really enjoyed this one and things it looks really impressive not in purple. I think Revell did 3 different corvette concepts? Pretty good on them to be honest! 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:32 AM, steveracer said:

Robert, the CERVIII was a prototype, more of a production intent Corvette Indy.  The design was similar however it was way less attractive and sophisticated in reality, as engineering got involved to make things work....very common for GM back then.

However, notice this thing could be road ready pretty easily, and is taller, longer and more slab sided, but packed with real cool technology.  And in technology, I am not talking about today's BS technology like big distraction screens and beeping seats and water coolers...

The rounded Camaro followed the Corvette Indy design theme pretty much.

I like the CERV III and wish they did a kit of that as well but alas, nothing. Guess I can understand with the Indy being so close, the need to move on to other kits was needed. 

On 12/29/2020 at 8:35 AM, mr moto said:

That's a superb piece of work! It's hard to believe it's your first time opening doors. Those would be a challenge even for the very best - I think you belong up in that category. Great job!

Thanks for saying. I appreciate it. Not sure why I started with this one but I am pretty happy with the results. 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:36 AM, Jantrix said:

Nice job cutting apart the big glass bubble top. It looks much more realistic like this.

The glass was not bad. I used Tamiya's engraver blade and the glass pretty much came apart on its own! I do like the look without the extra glass a lot more also 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:37 AM, Danno said:

Very nice model, Spence.  Good job.

I believe the Olds Aerotech was a contemporary concept project also;  Corvette Indy, Pontiac Banshee, and Olds Aerotech were sorta cousins. Although GM kept its divisions separate, there is a lot of cross-pollination and shared/blended influences among the three.

The Corvette Indy was developed first as a (non-functional) design concept in 1985 and converted to a fully functional, operational concept car in 1986.

The Oldsmobile Aerotech was developed in 1987.

The Pontiac Banshee was developed in 1988.

All three underwent continuing refinement during their "lifetimes" before being retired to GM museums.

??

I build the aerotech a short while ago and was pretty disappointed it was more of a race car then a street car. I love the design but the inside was not really what I was looking for. I had no idea when I bought the kit online. Still, cool car for sure and I do like the engine set up. I also build the Banshee not long ago. 

The Banshee had a few issues and I do have another in my stash that I will try again for sure, this time with opening doors, to go along with my Indy. 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:44 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

Nicely done.  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for checking it out, and your cements! 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:42 AM, Jonathan said:

Beautiful work!  You so rarely see these built - your build looks awesome!

Thank you. I would love to see more of this one and other cool 90s era Revell kits. They did some pretty interesting stuff in that time. Unlike Revell now. Kinda boring.... IMO or course. 

Edited by VanSpence