Model Cars Magazine Forum

94 Winn Dixie T-Bird

Kmidd65

After sitting in the box about 7 years, I decided to get this out a month or so back and try to complete it.  Viewing some of the Nascar builds posted on this site, I was inspired to get back at it.  The back story on this one was that I started it about 8 years back and had a major paint problem while painting the body with Tamiya spray cans.  At the time, I pulled out another body from a donor kit and gave it another go with some Valspar spray cans as an alternative.  That also proved a total disaster...  During that time, I had removed the paint from the original body (purple pond) and was filling in the nose, etc.  Unfortunately, I got real busy with work and my Son's pastimes so it sat unfinished until this year. 

This time around, I used Apple Barrel acrylic craft paints as an alternative.  I have been intrigued by others using this paint so I pulled out my air brush and practiced with some plastic spoons.  After a few practice runs to improve the results, I decided why not!?  I used Apple Barrel Gloss Black and Bright Yellow for my base coats.  Finish coats are Rustoleum 2x Clear which were sanded out with 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 and then polished with 3M rubbing compound.  While not perfect, I was thrilled with the results after not building for so many years.  Appreciate the inspiration, everybody, and hope you all have a Happy New Year!

IMG_1052_reduced.JPG

IMG_1057_reduced.JPG

IMG_1067_reduced.JPG

IMG_1069_reduced.JPG

2 hours ago, CRANMAN1 said:

Your black race cars

Never really thought much about it.  I do tend to gravitate towards black!  No wonder I never get anything accomplished...LOL!  Appreciate it, Neil.  Good to be back at the bench accomplishing something. 

Appreciate it, John.  Just so you know, your T-Bird was the inspiration for this particular build.  Always enjoyed seeing yours when you posted it up back in the day!  I have this one and my Fina Lance models due to your inspiration.  Thanks for sharing with us over the years!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting this. I just finished my first body using craft paint and airbrush for the first time, because of seeing this post. Huge MM fan and always liked this car even if it does turn into the pits one lap early...for some crazy reason.

9 hours ago, ABNSPR said:

Thank you for posting this. I just finished my first body using craft paint and airbrush for the first time, because of seeing this post. Huge MM fan and always liked this car even if it does turn into the pits one lap early...for some crazy reason.

Appreciate it, J.D.  I have been intrigued with the whole acrylic craft paint alternative.  They really do work great as a base coat if you take your time and build them up slowly.  I still use cheap Walmart primer or flat black/white paints to give them something to bite into.  The key is sealing them in with something more durable.  I have tried Acrylic Lacquers, Pledge (Future), and the Rustoleum 2x Clears.  The Rustoleum has been my personal favorite, so far.  Anxious to see what you painted?  Great (cheap) alternatives and the ability to mix colors and clean the airbrush are great! 

On 1/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, Kmidd65 said:

Appreciate it, J.D.  I have been intrigued with the whole acrylic craft paint alternative.  They really do work great as a base coat if you take your time and build them up slowly.  I still use cheap Walmart primer or flat black/white paints to give them something to bite into.  The key is sealing them in with something more durable.  I have tried Acrylic Lacquers, Pledge (Future), and the Rustoleum 2x Clears.  The Rustoleum has been my personal favorite, so far.  Anxious to see what you painted?  Great (cheap) alternatives and the ability to mix colors and clean the airbrush are great! 

Thanks Kirk, I will give the 2x a go. I used the Krylon Acrylic UV protectant covering and have never been able to get that to lay down smooth. I knew I did not want to try Future/Pledge, whatever as it is so thin I was worried it would carry the paint away. I can not agree more about the ease of every aspect of the craft paint. It only took about 30 seconds to flash it and clean up was hot water and Dawn without getting in trouble with the girlfriend over all those chemicals I normally put down the sink?.

Mine is the AMT Gotham Police/Joker car as I bought two in an effort to get my girlfriend's son to do anything other than sit in front of the computer for hours on end. Unfortunately it has not inspired him and hopefully will be done within a week or two.