Model Cars Magazine Forum

my year in review

pack rat

Not a bad year overall.

Completed three display kits; a Grumpy's Toy Vega,  '70 Z/28  and a Nova wagon.  Unfortunately I don't get to keep them.

Assembled a few quickie test shots.  These can be fun; just cut the parts of the sprue and glue 'em all together right away....just like some of us did when we were kids (c'mon..admit it!).

Fortunately I had time to complete a few of my own projects, 8 kits and one distressed promo ('69 Impala) restored.

I also managed to build a cool little 1/24/1/25 (?) scale MPC Amphicat.

As the year comes to a close I have an MPC '74 Super Charger gluebomb rebuild in progress; a wagon conversion using pieces from an original MPC annual, and waiting in the wings is a Johan '60 Olds restoration.

Lets hope we all have a safe and happy 2021.

z323.JPG

z0401.JPG

z418.JPG

z419.JPG

z510.JPG

z621.JPG

z712.JPG

z721.JPG

z904.JPG

z905.JPG

z1003.JPG

z1004.JPG

z1025.JPG

z1108.JPG

z1206.JPG

z1209.JPG

z1222b.JPG

z1224.JPG

z1226.JPG

1 hour ago, Bullybeef said:

Are those the new releases of the Vega, grumpy toy? If so how are they compared to the original kits, I had read that they were retooled.

and awesome work btw, love the racers wedge

Thanks

The unpainted Vega is a Twister Vega/Grumpys Toy test shot mutt; the painted/detailed one is a production Round2 kit.  I never built the original Grumpy's Toy. so I don't know how they compare.  I'm sure someone will compare the new kit with the original (if they haven't already) in the review section.

What an incredible array of subject matter, all done so well and within a year.  I aspire to have a decade like that.

Would you mind telling me what exact paint (Ex: Testors #1619) you used on that '64 GTO?  Love that shade.  

7 minutes ago, Monty said:

What an incredible array of subject matter, all done so well and within a year.  I aspire to have a decade like that.

Would you mind telling me what exact paint (Ex: Testors #1619) you used on that '64 GTO?  Love that shade.  

Thanks, Monty.

The GTO is Tamiya lacquer; TS-74 clear red over TS-38 gunmetal.

That pic is a little dark; here's a better one to show the color. 

DSCN1476.JPG

Great collection for the year Mike. The Squarebird is gorgeous! Also neat to see your test shots, you’re right as it brought back  memories of my teen years. Most of my collection back then was white with the occasional coloured plastic from Monogram kits. I began to paint the interiors, chassis and engine yet the bodies remained in the original plastic as I was intimidated by the rattle cans. Occasionally I want to do a build like that, just for the quick satisfaction of completing a model in a day.

Best wishes for 2021 and model on! Cheers Misha

Edited by Misha
Spellin’

• 3 months later...