Model Cars Magazine Forum

My only two for 2020

espo

This has been a goofy year and I have broken my personal rule to only build one at a time. I only these two finished and three WIP that kept me from finishing any of them.   The CHP Olds. is one that has been on my mind since the '50 Oldsmobile kit was first released. The only body changes were to remove the chrome trim from the doors for the CHP decals just as the 1:1 was done. The red & amber lights on the rear package tray was the way it was done at the time and I used the fog lights from the leftovers box. Painted with Tamiya paints and clear also over the decals. The door decals are from Chimneyville Hobbies and the License Plates are of the style used and were done with decals from Shabo Tags all purchased over twenty years ago. 

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

The '48 Chevrolet Styline was inspired by a car featured in a magazine. The body chrome is all added using different sizes of Plastruct. The engine is fully plumbed and wired. The interior has a full tuck & roll treatment along with painted wood trim finish on the dash and window surrounds. The interior paints are Tamiya TS-68 Wood Deck Tan and AS-15 (USAF) Tan. The body is done with Model Master Phoenician Yellow followed by their Clear. 

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

Edited by espo

The Highway Patrol Oldsmobile looks great. I like the fact you deleted the door trim for the decal, something I overlooked on my '70 Galaxie when I did a Yellow cab. I remember the Syline in WIP, very nice work on the dash and the colour looks just right for that style of car, nice work on that.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, shoopdog said:

Wow! Two very impressive builds David!

On 12/28/2020 at 2:16 PM, Beamerman said:

You may say only two but these are absolutly great. Very nice. 

On 12/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

On 12/28/2020 at 4:20 PM, Danno said:

What everybody said above!

Very nice builds, David. Better to complete two like these than to slap together a bunch of lesser works (just described myself) or to not get anything done at all (whoa, described myself again!).

?? 

On 12/28/2020 at 4:24 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I agree! Very nice work!  I have been meaning to build both of those kits for a long while too!

On 12/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, Misha said:

I’ll join in with all the above David. Very impressive craftsmanship with building and painting. 
Best for the New Year, cheers Misha

On 12/28/2020 at 8:33 PM, bbowser said:

Those are cool.  I can imagine the Olds would make a good pursuit car with the rocket 88!

You are correct. This model Oldsmobile was the factory hot rod of the day. 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

It's not the quantity, but the quality, as evidenced here. Fine work, indeed.... -RRR

On 12/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

It's not the quantity, but the quality, as evidenced here. Fine work, indeed.... -RRR

On 12/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, alan barton said:

Such a razor crisp style, Dave,   I wouldn't worry about pumping out more when taking your time gives you results like this.  I thrive on building multiples, you prefer one at a time, it's a case of whatever works best for you!

Cheers

Alan

Thankyou Alan. There are three others that I lost interest in this year and put them back in their boxes. I hope to finish two of them along with some other new subjects this next year. 

On 12/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, Flatout said:

Beautiful work David...the dash on the Chevy is stunning ?

I'm glad you like the dash. This technique is something I have learned from some of the other builders here. I started doing the  wood bed floors in my pickup builds and this is my first dash board. 

On 12/29/2020 at 12:56 AM, slusher said:

May be just 2 but a beautiful 2 my friend!

On 12/29/2020 at 2:07 AM, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

On 12/29/2020 at 1:16 PM, TooOld said:

Beautiful work , especially the engine detailing and the wood dash !

23 hours ago, ATHU said:

They both look fantastic, superb work David!!??

Thankyou one and all for kind words. Your compliments and words of appreciation mean a great deal coming from you all.