Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yet another 1976 Mercury Montego

Repstock

3 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Ok Tom I’m not sure if you are totally aware of the necessity of casting this???. Us NASCAR modelers have wanted this car for 44 years. And yours looks spot on so far. If you feel like doing a 72 Montego GT Fastback I will let you measure my personal car!!!?

I  could not agree more with Tim! That's some wonderful work castings are a must of NASCAR nuts. 

I really hadn't intended to cast it, as some parts would be difficult to cast, but if there's that much interest, I could re-engineer certain things to make it castable. The one thing required of the buyer is to narrow the chassis a bit. While I was modifying the body, I went ahead and kinked the bottom of the body in some more. The Revell Torino doesn't roll under enough at the body bottom. (JoHan's does).

2 hours ago, Repstock said:

I really hadn't intended to cast it, as some parts would be difficult to cast, but if there's that much interest, I could re-engineer certain things to make it castable. The one thing required of the buyer is to narrow the chassis a bit. While I was modifying the body, I went ahead and kinked the bottom of the body in some more. The Revell Torino doesn't roll under enough at the body bottom. (JoHan's does).

I totally agree with you. On the roll under. That and the windshield shape irritates me on the Revell Torino. The Johan is spot on.

That's looking great i would love to have one my self i love that body style back in the day i had the 74 cougar XR-7 with the 460 4V it was black with the blood red half vinel top and in side the way i drove it got about 8 miles to the gallon but gas was .44c a gallon back then i wish some model company would have made them i have looked at the Revelle kit but it's the front end that is the hard part your came out perfect keep this going i will be following it.

12 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Tom, did you use pre molded stock on the grille or do the bars individually?

I made a master for the grille pattern. I couldn't find stock with the right size rectangles. I also made a '73 grille for the new full-bumper Camaro kit. 

32 minutes ago, steveracer said:

What are the details on this?  What did you start with, and what modifications were done to get this look?  The tree know and Mercury were quite different bodies, and yours looks great - I want one too!

I started with the Revell Torino. The idea was, if I made a low-line Montego, the builder could use the interior right out of the Torino kit. I scaled the grille and headlights, and arranged the front end to get them to fit.I cut the front wheel wells out of a second Torino and used them for the rear wheel wells. I made the wheel well flares larger. I still need to do the back end, I'm waiting on some strip styrene to be delivered.

14 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

I totally agree with you. On the roll under. That and the windshield shape irritates me on the Revell Torino. The Johan is spot on.

Yeah, I decided to live with it so builders might use the Revell Torino windshield.

3 hours ago, DoctorLarry said:

Did you cast the grille pattern in resin?

Yes, but I had to assemble the sections. When the holes are that small, I have a real problem with bubbles in the mold forming in the cavities. I don't have a vacuum or pressure pot, so I can only do simple one-piece molds. I did the center eggcrate section for a '73 Chevy pickup grille, but the spaces on that one were larger than the Montego grille. The '73 Camaro grille I was able to do in one piece. All of the grille patterns were created using evergreen/plastruct strips.

So you built it from evergreen, made a mold, and cast it? I have the same problem with small bubbles on dash boards, door locks, and grilles. I need to build a pressure chamber to do these things. I thinl on my 75 Century project the grille had something like 39 pieces. How do you glue them down? I find it hard to be neat and keep the small parts straight.

11 minutes ago, DoctorLarry said:

So you built it from evergreen, made a mold, and cast it? I have the same problem with small bubbles on dash boards, door locks, and grilles. I need to build a pressure chamber to do these things. I thinl on my 75 Century project the grille had something like 39 pieces. How do you glue them down? I find it hard to be neat and keep the small parts straight.

It is hard. That's partly why I cast parts, if I screw it up, I try again. The first pic are parts for the Montego, the other is various other grille masters.

Tronz (1).JPG

Tronz (2).JPG

Edited by Repstock

5 hours ago, Repstock said:

It is hard. That's partly why I cast parts, if I screw it up, I try again. The first pic are parts for the Montego, the other is various other grille masters.

Tronz (1).JPG

Tronz (2).JPG

If you need small parts pressure cast let me know! I'll try to help you out.