Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting Comparisons

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

So, Ford - If the Granada was so great compared to the Seville, why'd you need to build the Versailles? tango_face_grin.png.a63f487353f981de7d1be67afce199d7.png

Exactly. They say the 1st generations Seville was based off of the GM X-body platform (Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo). But, not enough to tell in the end. Where with Versailles, you could tell it was directly related to the Granada/Monarch. I quite figured out how Ford thought they could get away with that one? Especially with the car sitting on there Lincoln-Mercury show floors with the Monarch. As close as the Monarch and Versailles were. And how nice one could option out a Monarch or Granada, how did they think they could pull that one off? Yet they did. 

My folks bought a stripped Mercury Monarch in 1975 to replace their '67 Mercury Comet 202. When I say stripped, the only option was an AM radio. It was a 2-door with a three on the tree and the 200 cu.in straight six. The base '75 Monarchs did come with bucket seats. No basic bench until the '76 models. The particular car they decided to buy had one minor defect. If you did not get the optional digital clock, it was replaced with a Monarch nameplate on the dash. In the case of the car they were buying, it had a Granada nameplate in its place, instead. The dealer, good old Northside Lincoln-Mercury in north Minneapolis, did change it out soon after my parents bought the car. A Monarch or Granada? They were so close, that guys on the assembly line either couldn't tell or care, what name was on the dashboard.  

IMG_4358.JPG

IMG_4359.PNG

IMG_4360.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Exactly. They say the 1st generations Seville was based off of the GM X-body platform (Nova, Omega, Ventura, Apollo). But, not enough to tell in the end. Where with Versailles, you could tell it was directly related to the Granada/Monarch. I quite figured out how Ford thought they could get away with that one? Especially with the car sitting on there Lincoln-Mercury show floors with the Monarch. As close as the Monarch and Versailles were. And how nice one could option out a Monarch or Granada, how did they think they could pull that one off? Yet they did. 

I remember some dealerships were putting Versailles front clips, taillights etc on Granadas and Monarchs and selling them for a good profit for a while.

A couple of days ago, I finished building Revell's 1/32 scale Corvette C3 (1969) kit. A couple of years back, I built their 1/32 scale Opel GT. So it is natural to post pictures of the two together. Either the Corvette is too small. Or the Opel too big. Because from looking at the photo of two real one together, the model are just a little too close in size. 

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

IMG_4364.JPG