Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interesting Comparisons

19 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

The above is the reason I'm not a big fan modern cars. They are greatest cars ever, in terms functionality. They run better. Last longer. Are much more economical and reliable. But they all, to my eyes anyway, look too much a like. 

This last summer I bought a fairly new 2017 Chevy Cruze, with only 14,000 miles on it. Metallic Black. It's a very nice car. I love the way it does what does. It even looks pretty good to me. I like the car a lot. But... I see there is a Chevy in that group of cars above. I can't tell what kind of Chevy that is. Is it a Cruze or a Malibu? And I drive a Cruze! I should be able to tell. Sad. 

Yes, I am not a fan either of daily drivers. Unfortunately the wind tunnel has a big say in the design of the newer cars.

4 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The above is the reason I'm not a big fan modern cars. They are greatest cars ever, in terms functionality. They run better. Last longer. Are much more economical and reliable. But they all, to my eyes anyway, look too much a like. 

This last summer I bought a fairly new 2017 Chevy Cruze, with only 14,000 miles on it. Metallic Black. It's a very nice car. I love the way it does what does. It even looks pretty good to me. I like the car a lot. But... I see there is a Chevy in that group of cars above. I can't tell what kind of Chevy that is. Is it a Cruze or a Malibu? And I drive a Cruze! I should be able to tell. Sad. 

Yes, contemporary cars seem to generally look more alike than cars back in the mid 20th Century.  But there are exceptions.

My current ride:

2019-Kia-Soul-Coupe-Hatchback-Base-4dr-Hatchback-Photo-14.png

My previous ride:

2006_scion_xb-pic-20220.jpeg

Neither is the typical looking sedan or SUV.  I like to be different.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

*opens can o' worms*

Yeah, but manufacturers building cars that all look the same is nothing new.

I agree, it happens throughout the decades. Here's a kit comparison, Camaro and Cuda. They are very similar apart from grilles, bumpers and some swage lines - a bit like the white cars above.

1450237076_download(1).jpg.6d192f49d709383317cc8c8abc9c2f95.jpgimages.jpg.d167d1aa0744e9d137d8dc5faa0b0ab2.jpg

Edited by maltsr

These comparisons can go on forever and the point has already been made. Car designers all follow general trends, and the human eye can find commonalities, even if they seem a bit far fetched.   Even in the days of horse and buggy, most of those vehicles looked very similar.

10 hours ago, peteski said:

These comparisons can go on forever and the point has already been made. Car designers all follow general trends, and the human eye can find commonalities, even if they seem a bit far fetched.   Even in the days of horse and buggy, most of those vehicles looked very similar.

Yep

510t2-b-b5L._AC_.jpg

4 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Foton Big General or: how to say "Raptor" in Chinese.  Actually "Raptor Lite"-its about the size of a Ranger but go with me on this.

https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/chinas-big-general-on-the-offensive-with-raptor-copy/

looking at the pics of the foton it appears to have chevy/gmc copy front fender shape

2 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Peter W. is correct in his observation, but hardly reason to lock the thread.

Scott F. Hess has brought up a great idea for a game here. Post an unusual car and see if anyone can come up with an interesting comparison.

I wasn't implying to lock the thread, but I do find it pointless to endlessly compare appearance of cars from the same time period (because large percentage will look similar).   But I do like what Scott did: vintage Edsel nose compared to modern Alfa.  Cute!  Your game proposal sounds interesting too.

On 12/28/2020 at 2:59 PM, unclescott58 said:

I can't resist? Here are few more. I'd especially be interested in hearing your thoughts on last two. The first two are too easy. 

IMG_4329.JPG

I had the Buick Skyhawk but still just like a Monza and with a 3.8 V6 automatic and it was very fast...

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I had the Buick Skyhawk but still just like a Monza and with a 3.8 V6 automatic and it was very fast...

I heard from a couple of people over the years, that the GM H-body Skyhawks and Starfires with the 3.8 were really quick. Better than the Monzas with 4-cylinder. Or even the V-8. The V-6 making for a better handling car, over the heavier Monza V-8. 

I'm really liking this info.  Before this thread, I had never realized how much the older cars had visual elements of each other.  The newer cars(see Lunajammer's 12 car post pic), also including the SUVs and now the square front end trucks, can't be separated except by the badging.  I saw this when we bought a Chevy Equinox a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

I heard from a couple of people over the years, that the GM H-body Skyhawks and Starfires with the 3.8 were really quick. Better than the Monzas with 4-cylinder. Or even the V-8. The V-6 making for a better handling car, over the heavier Monza V-8. 

Imagine a "hair dried" Buick V-6 out of a grand national in one of those Skyhawks......??