Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jaguar E type coupe

GeeBee

On 1/1/2021 at 10:04 PM, GeeBee said:

hopefully the red won't bleed through 

i had a red car that kept bleeding through until i stripped it with oven cleaner, then the plastic didn't bleed any more. The next red car i paint, i will pre-soak it in brake fluid or oven cleaner to reduce the pigment in the plastic surface.

The 1/8th scale one referred to in an earlier post is probably a re pop of the old Monogram kit from way back in the Sixties. It will probably show its age a bit as kits have come a long way since then, but none the less it is a nice model kit that would provide good fodder for the super detailer.

The newly tooled Revell Germany E Types in 1/24th scale look good and not before time to replace that tired old kit that Revell US made way back in the sixties that I think may have been 1/25th scale.

4 hours ago, Bugatti Fan said:

Not before time to replace that tired old kit that Revell US made way back in the sixties that I think may have been 1/25th scale.

Don’t be too harsh... depends which 1/25 Revell kit you mean... the drop head kit was tooled up by Revell UK when the E-type was launched, and is pretty well shaped and detailed. The coupe is an Aurora—>Monogram heritage kit and looks awful.

I’m all for a new tool kit, but it’ll be interesting to compare the Revell 2021 convertible with the Revell(UK) 1962 version!

best,

M.

By that tired old kit I was referring to the moulds getting more and more worn over the years with the number of re releases. I agree the shape and detailing were not that bad and can remember making one way back.

The old Aurora offering was a kit I just took a look at and sold on, and agree it was dire! It will be interesting to see what you think of the new Revell kit Matt.

Cheers N

One thing I noticed about the bodyshell was the small sink marks on the tailgate, didn't take too long to sort them out, while I was sorting them out I noticed more mould lines on the rear quarters that needed removing, after I'd got the sink holes sorted, I rescribed the panel lines.

20210117_132515.jpg

20210117_121411.jpg

20210117_134415.jpg

20210117_134346.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

Sink marks are also on both sides of the rear bodywork underneath where the bumpers go, didn't take long to sort, but these quality issues really shouldn't be on a brand new moulded kit, I'm not even going to try to sort out the inner roof lining.

20210118_120931.jpg

20210118_121021.jpg

20210118_151018.jpg

20210118_150847.jpg

20210118_123713.jpg

I pre-ordered this kit in 2020. I received it early January and started immediately working on it. While a lot of improvements can be observed, like excellent instructions, correct shape and proportions and clever kit engineering in some parts, other aspects let me wonder if Revell is riding a time machine in the opposite direction. First, the shallow and fragile fixing points is as ever. The chrome parts, especially the bumpers are attached to the spruce in a very inconvenient way.  The front bumper consists of three parts for no clear reason. The central part is so fragile that it will probably break when separated from the spruce (mine broke). I have the crude Monogram/Aurora kit. Even this ancient kit has a single piece bumper. Needless to say that here, too, attachment of the three parts together is a little adventure. I do not know if this my bad luck but the surface is wavy as if the mold was in use for the last thirty years. It took a ton of primer to repair. Hopefully the surface details will still be visible.

16 hours ago, dbostream said:

The more I see of this kit the more disappointed I get. You are doing a great job though.

I'm not sure if it's something to do with the red styrene, as a good friend of mine built this model from one of the pre-production models which was moulded in light grey styrene,  and had non of the faults I'm finding, apart from some very fine mould lines.

I've got 2 more of these kits in the stash, I opened them yesterday, and there both the same as this one. 

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

I'm not sure if it's something to do with the red styrene, as a good friend of mine built this model from one of the pre-production models which was moulded in light grey styrene,  and had non of the faults I'm finding, apart from some very fine mould lines.

I've got 2 more of these kits in the stash, I opened them yesterday, and there both the same as this one. 

While you are doing an excellent job fixing the short comings of this kits body I wonder about the quality issues from Revell. Looking at the headliner it's as if there maybe a temperature problem when the plastic is being molded. This may also include the rear fender and hatch issues you have been working on. 

3 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Knowing myself I will buy one anyway and the upcoming roadster because I love the E-Type, but I hate myself for giving them my money for a half a**ed job.

I wonder if the US boxed version is also molded in red? Otherwise perhaps I should try to get one of those instead.

7 hours ago, espo said:

While you are doing an excellent job fixing the short comings of this kits body I wonder about the quality issues from Revell. Looking at the headliner it's as if there maybe a temperature problem when the plastic is being molded. This may also include the rear fender and hatch issues you have been working on. 

Revell Germany made contact with me this morning, they are taking these problems very seriously,  they want to send me some new parts, but as I explained to them, I have 2 other kits of this kit with the same issues,  I'll update this post when I know what there solution is.

On 1/18/2021 at 12:25 PM, GeeBee said:

Sink marks are also on both sides of the rear bodywork underneath where the bumpers go, didn't take long to sort, but these quality issues really shouldn't be on a brand new moulded kit, I'm not even going to try to sort out the inner roof lining.

20210118_123713.jpg

That is a really weird moulding flaw!

15 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Revell Germany made contact with me this morning, they are taking these problems very seriously,  they want to send me some new parts, but as I explained to them, I have 2 other kits of this kit with the same issues,  I'll update this post when I know what there solution is.

Glad to hear that Revell is acknowledging that there is a problem and they seem to want to fix it. 

On 1/19/2021 at 2:58 PM, GeeBee said:

They should be. You, as a bit of an "influencer" for some of these kits, can sway buying decisions based on what you think and how the company reacts. 

It's a little disappointing to see the quality of this brand new kit compared to "old" models reissued by some of the Japanese companies - I don't know how much more difficult or expensive it is for Revell to get to the same standards as Tamiya, Aoshima, etc, but, looking at this kit (and some other of their new kits - the Porsche Panamerica), they aren't even close.

I look forward to seeing what you can do with what they gave you on this one Geoff, as it is such a beautiful, iconic car.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a little disappointed by the sink marks - but I’m more concerned about some of the soft details - example - the cylinder head and the U joints - I’m not yet convinced that this new kit is much better than the thirty (forty?) year old Heller kits - I think Revell may have missed an opportunity to make an E type that is comparable to the -Tamiya Jag S types - which are killer -  too bad ...   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, absmiami said:

I think Revell may have missed an opportunity to make an E type that is comparable to the -Tamiya Jag S types - which are killer -  too bad ...   

In Revell's defence, this kit retails for over half the price a Tamiya version would cost