Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some crack head took advantage of a broken lock on my garage last night

Can-Con

decided it was a good place to hide from the cops.

They did get her sometime after she left my garage but she tossed the place looking for god knows what. A druggie that lives with her mother, as the cops told me.

Didn't take the change from the cars or almost anything else but what she did take is just puzzeling.

I had an old walmart bag in the trunk of the Saturn that I kept my brushes, putty knives, spackle and other painting stuff for work in. She dumped that on the floor of the trunk and took it. Took a bunch of paint rags I had in a strainer and took a small drop sheet. ,, and 2 pair of old cheap sunglasses.

But she dumped out and went through every box that was in the garage quite a mess. Never took any tools or anything else that would have been easy pickings.

What cheezed me off the most is in the process of going through my T/A she broke the drivers seat back. Dosen't lock in position now, just flops around and lays on the rear seat.

I know, it could have been a lot worse but I've lived here for almost 14 years now and this is the first time it's happened here. I moved out of the other side of town to get away from this fecies.

Edited by Can-Con

It reminds me a little of the crack heads that went through my 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix when they broke into the shed that it was stored in some years ago.

They damaged a few things, like the rear seat back when they tried to get into the trunk from the back seat and broke the radiator shroud for some reason, but the list of stolen parts were what baffled me.

I get the fact that they stole the tachometer and tried and failed to swipe the radio, but they stole parts that only an idiot would take off of a car with 140,000 miles on it.

They took the alternator and starter as well as the air cleaner, but the one that really confounded me was that they cut off a section of the passenger side exhaust from above the rear axle to the rear bumper!? :blink:

Must have been something that they needed to make their meth!

Steve

You wonder why...

A friend of ours came to visit and parked her oldish and fairly uncommon Ford Puma out on the street opposite. One of the guys across the street, a bit of a smackhead, also owned a Puma, which is a coincidence. When Anita came to leave she noticed the little cover over the towhook at the rear of her car was missing. We had a chat with the other Puma owner who rather shamefacedly returned the little cover as soon as he realised Anita was a friend of hours - he seems to like us for some reason!

But why bother stealing something that costs a couple of quid? Although apparently the guy likes it in prison, he gets a rest from his partner and child (!) and free food. Like a holiday camp...

13 hours ago, slusher said:

Steve will insurance cover your car seat?  Sorry to hear that happened but who knows what gets in the head of people on drugs..

I already fixed it Carl. The little arm got bent and jammed so it was stuck open. A couple minuets  with a well placed pry bar and it's working again. 

Many years ago when I still lived in New Jersey,  I came in on the tail end of this incident, noticing cop cars in front of my house.

My neighbor John, a young guy maybe 20 was leaning up against his car smoking a cigarette. I guy comes out of the woods at the end of the block and runs up the street.. he sees John and says something like, “Dude, the cops are chasing me, hide me!”

John tells him to hide in his shed. Then he puts a lock on the shed door!  Cops come prowling the street, John flags them down.  This is where I came in.. as they were putting the guy in the cruiser!

Turns out this jerk broke into a car dealer up on the highway. He had stacked up their computer equipment, and then found that all the keys to cars were in a locked cabinet. He set off the alarm trying to bust open the cabinet! 
He had run quite a distance through the woods.. no trails and wetlands in the dark to get to my street!

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Haha 1

We have crackheads and drugies here, not many, there are only about 5,000 residents in the county. 

But EVERYONE has a gun, lots of dogs too. 

So the crackheads tend to go after businesses and commercial property knowing no one is there after hours.  Two idiots broke into a quarry a few miles from my house. They stole stupid stuff like a conveyor belt motor.  Then they went after copper wire......copper wire that was HOT with 220 volts. One got fried.....the other left and a few days later tried to sell the motor they stole......he must have been very sad.....NOT!

Need to bring back town strip and whip for these drug heads! (then rehab)

and death penalty for drug dealers! I know I know that wont happen. Too many scumbag lawyers in this country.

Their the worst they cause more innocent deaths in this country then anyone!! ?

• 4 months later...

In order to break into my garage you'd have to pretty much destroy the door & the racket from that will alert my dog which will alert me & there's a possibility that somebody might end up having a really bad day, it would probably really suck to be held at gunpoint waiting for the cops...

• 4 weeks later...

A very long time ago , I caught a guy trying to steal my car stereo. My friend installed the car stereo and welded a metal bar on the back of it with fish hooks on the back. About 1 month later I heard a yell at 1 in the morning . The car was in the driveway and his legs were out the car door and he was in pain. But the funny this was , the cops were wondering how come his face was so beat up. The paramedics came and removed the stereo and the thief. I did not get the stereo back but it was worth it. 

I went to a business meeting in downtown Philly. I parked my Geo Tracker in a parking  garage. There is no real way to lock it as the soft top rear window is zipped in. 

I come back to find rear window open and passenger side door unlocked. The stereo was missing.. the funny part?  It was broken! Hadn’t worked in years!  I just laughed!

I imagine that the guy might have gotten shot by whomever he sold it to!