Model Cars Magazine Forum

WOLOMOPRO - Lamborghini Marzal

caapa

WOLOMOPRO  say  Worlds Longest Modeling Project:

It began in early 1968 as I saw first time pictures of the Lamborghini Marzal in the hungarian Auto-Motor magazine.  I fell in love with  in no time. I was a young draftsman and I made the 4 views based on the photos  and main dimensions. And with my ambition to be ones an auto-body designer.

Naturally my goal was to make a model .

I took a block of polystyrene foam (insulation) and curved the body.  My idea was to laminate some layer of newspaper with epoxi  on the surface and remove the polystyrene foam after .  But  this would  give a very thin lamella so I cut grooves first in the styrene for  drag-wires glued with the same epoxi.

After some sanding the body looked better as I hoped.

877004980_kp.png.afa2c0da0251de73481fc80450101621.png

In the 70`s I started to make dashboard, front and rear panels with rubber  bumper, etc.  I came to realize before long that windows should be made too. But I had no idea what material can I get and with which technology can I make this huge windows.  The initial momentum die down slowly .

At end of the 80`s I made seats with similar method as the body and tried to make wheels but I couldn`t make the fine details.

1666844498_kp.png.a8ee1037231ea1b7906e3bc4fc1a807b.png      822726734_kp.png.1a56fef53c0d10811423183c2d8bb04f.png

During the 90`s could  gear my workshop with more and more tools and my technological knowledge broadened materially. So I could make the wheels higly detailed. I made a negativ  by candel wax from the wheel had been made formerly and scratched the details negativ in wax. After than I dilute the mixed epoxi by nitro thinner and „painted” the form inside. As the nitro evaporated  I molded with normal epoxi much like a pasta. Next I copied a tyre and made „rubber” tyres by black silicon sealing-compound.

707581759_kp.png.cc04327e8e5aee07e4029f2799f84c08.png953375122_kp.png.7983b10a3915292ee02341990f85df41.png 

Since I retired have more time. I made a little vacuum table and made more windows for 1:64 and similar. The only problem of Marzal remained the window furthermore. I coudn`t found any water-clear plastic for vauumforming.

Before 2- 3 years my son asked me why don`t make the Marzal ? I told him the problem.

I visited him January 2020 and FOUND material ! As I finished the Bugatti Royale Berline de Voyage I gone on the Lamborghini Marzal projeckt to finish.

With the help of reference pictures I could make many details.  What I made during the 5 decades was not all of the parts good enough . So I could use only the body, dashboard and the wheels. The other parts must be corrected or made new. Totaly I build the model from  234 pieces -  scratchbuilt, molded, printed, curved, cut, bended or vacuum formed and plus 4 pc pins from 1968. (they are the axles)

341370285_kp.png.ddea4517f6af45e6617310f7c181c3cc.png

The body upper half painted with Strato Silver the under one with Nimrod Grey metalic by Holts Repair Paint. The inside is brush painted with Revell Aquacolors. Chrome made by Molotow pen.

(I apologize for my poor english)

01 IMG_74801.jpg

02 IMG_74791.jpg

03 IMG_74871.jpg

04 IMG_74961.jpg

05 IMG_74931.jpg

06 IMG_74921.jpg

07 IMG_75022.jpg

08 IMG_75091.jpg

09 IMG_75062.jpg

10 IMG_75112.jpg

11 IMG_7510.jpg

12 IMG_7515.JPG

Hi Sonny,

thanks for the nice comment.

The model is 1:24 scale.

The use of wax for molds isn`t my „contrivance”.  I remembered that wax was used during making master pieces for casting bronze statues  in ancient Egypt and in the middle age for bells too.

Hi Sir!

Very impressive work, bravo! Unique subject, exclusive model, and a good lesson in self-reliance. 

I had this car as a small Corgi die-cast when it came out, but it was 1/43, I guess. The front and rear compartments lids were hinged, with minimal details inside. Your model brought back great memories of my youth, only much more detailed! Thank you!

Respectfully, 

CT 

Hi,

thank you guys for the comments.

Hi Claude,

happy you have nice memories with Lamborghini Marzal. I know a similar one as yours was manufactured by Dinky Toys 1:43 with hinged front and rear. This is probably the best toy Marzal !

Edited by caapa

Janos, this is an amazing tribute to your decades of commitment to achieve your goal. Rather than saying "I can't make that", you used your hands, your brain and what you had available to manufacture the car of your dreams. I think most of us on this forum would be looking at your finished model with all the amazing details and thinking, "Wow, how did he do that?"  Your description hides the amount of difficulty you must have experienced.  Congratulations on an amazing effort!

And yes, I too had ( and still have!) the metallic red Matchbox Lamborghini Marzal toy - it was a favourite toy of mine and is still in fairly good condition for being over fifty years old.

Cheers

Alan

5 hours ago, caapa said:

Hi,

Hi Claude,

happy you have nice memories with Lamborghini Marzal. I know a similar one as yours was manufactured by Dinky Toys 1:43 with hinged front and rear. This is probably the best toy Marzal !

HI!

I guess your description is more acurate than mine. It must have been Dinky, not Corgi. It was more than 55 years ago, so... I tend to forget!

CT 

Hi Alan,

thank you for your nice appreciative words. I built some plastic kits during my decades. But I can imagine how hard could be the work of the engineers who are plan and do the kits with that accuracy  really only now.

It seemed who commented and probably the most of the visitors have the Matchbox Lamborghini Marzal - I have the metalic red too !

Best regards: János

Very cool model of the Marzal, one of the best looking show cars of the era. I am very impressed with your methods, and that you stuck with it for decades. It must feel good to have finally finished it. I always liked the Marzal since I was a kid (like others above, it seems), and in my adult years I have always wanted to build an Espada (basically the road car evolution of the Marzal). Well done, thanks for posting.

Hi Martin,

thank you very much the nice comment. Yes I`m a little bit proud but mostly happy to completed the model. It was on my workbanch aside the field of action and looked  with blame me for waiting so long. Now it can not blame anymore ! ?

Best regards: János

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, caapa said:

Hi,

Hi Claude,

And here is a photo:

lamborghini marzal 1-43 Dinky.jpg

• 5 months later...

I searched the drawing of Marzal made by me in 1968 for a long time but didn`t find it. Hopless  I passed up the searching  soon. But now I happen on the original drawing on tracing paper !

3 x Hip Hip Hooray !!!

This was the very first step in my long project. And now the begining and the end are together.

1403343934_kp.png.a836e4d8f45b8c57a386a995555274e4.png