Model Cars Magazine Forum

7 ....errr...oops...actually 8 completions during 2020...(Update)

tim boyd

On 12/31/2020 at 7:32 AM, tim boyd said:

Bill....as best as I recall (what, it's only been a few months....sigh....) the wheels came from the AMT-Ertl 1934 Ford Five Window Coupe kit.  The rears were amended with an additional outside rim (to match the larger diameter tire opening) that was cut from the sidemount spares container from the MPC 1932 Chrysler Imperial Roadster kit (the one just reissued by Round 2 with all-new box art, that also included a vintage Ace/Henderson motorcycle. l

The tires came from the AMT-Ertl 1934 Ford Five Window kit in front, and from the Galaxie Limited 1990's reissue of the original Monogram "Long John" dragster kit (I think).    

Here's an additional image - shot during final assembly - that shows the wheels and tires a little better. 

DSC 0184

BTW you can get similar (but not exactly the same) wheels (and complimentary big and little whitewalls) from Norm Veber at Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  In fact, the hubcaps on my project were leftovers from that R&M of MD offering (he includes two sets of hubcaps - one with the Ford logo and the other with the Ford "V8" log - in his package.   Here's an image of the R&M wheel and tire kit...

DSC 0792

Thanks for asking, and best regards....TIM   

Thank you for the information, greatly appreciated. ??

On 12/31/2020 at 2:16 PM, tim boyd said:

David...you are correct about Revell's AAR decals.   The kit decals are "soft" and do not conform properly to the proportions of the rear fender.

I used a set from an overseas decal provider -  RAY'S DECALS (domiciled in Belgium, IIRC) - that was recommended by a Forum member over in the aftermarket suppliers section.   They were not cheap (especially given overseas shipping) but they were part of a very complete decal set, executed with precision and accuracy to the 1/1, and the supplier was very good about keeping me informed on the progress of the order.  Highly recommended for someone who is pulling out all the stops on a scale AAR replica...TIM 

Thanks Tim!

On 12/31/2020 at 9:36 AM, tim boyd said:

Some 12 years later, when I was in Ford Division in a Regional Marketing position, I added the factory luggage rack option to a special edition Ford Tempo LX sedan I and the team developed for the NE and Great Lakes Regions.  We ended up selling the heck out of that package, and I still believe to this day that the luggage rack (along with the overall value in the package) had a lot to do with it!  

Best, Tim 

I seem to remember a lot of Tempos around the streets of Massachusetts and New Hampshire with trunk-racks and aluminum wheels when I was around 11 or so (that would've been 1986-'87). Is that the package, as I'm assuming NE means the North East? Tempos, for whatever reason, didn't really catch on here until the redesign in 1988(?), then they were all over the place. They seemed to be a very tough sell against the Grand Am and (especially) Olds (later Cutlass) Calais.

And yes, that Road Runner is gorgeous.

Charlie Larkin

19 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

I seem to remember a lot of Tempos around the streets of Massachusetts and New Hampshire with trunk-racks and aluminum wheels when I was around 11 or so (that would've been 1986-'87). Is that the package, as I'm assuming NE means the North East? Tempos, for whatever reason, didn't really catch on here until the redesign in 1988(?), then they were all over the place. They seemed to be a very tough sell against the Grand Am and (especially) Olds (later Cutlass) Calais.

And yes, that Road Runner is gorgeous.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie...yes...that was the car.

Cheers, tim

• 3 months later...