Model Cars Magazine Forum

On-Line How-To Tutorial #25 - Building a Traditional Style Model T Tub Hot Rod

tim boyd

For this project, I built a 1950's/early 1960's style 1927 Model T Touring "Tub". The model is primarily based on the 1967 and later revised tool of the AMT 1927 Model T Touring Trophy Series kit, which is still widely available today due to its frequent reissues over the ensuing decades.

It also uses a few parts from the no longer available, highboy style hot rod tub version that was originally and only available in the AMT XR-6/'27 T Touring double kit. This kit was released just once time, back in 1963.

The chassis, suspension, and drivetrain is largely sourced from Model A kits, reflecting the performance and handling upgrades a typical 1950's hot rodder would have been likely to make, when these parts were widely available and affordable to acquire.

I've included a few "teaser" pix below, but click on the link to see the 15 how-to steps and further finished views of the model with additional kitbashing assistance advice. There are also several images at the end that compare our kitbashed Tub to the version built straight from the box of that very rare AMT Double Kit referenced above.

i recommend that you use the "Roll View" at this link so you can see each individual picture and its associated caption, and learn you how can build a similar project of your own.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for your interest.  Also happy to answer any questions you might have.... TIM

2v2H5pUw3x9hi3o.jpg

2v2H5p9vnx9hi3o.jpg

2v2H5p9DFx9hi3o.jpg

2v2H5puGgx9hi3o.jpg

2v2H5pJ3hx9hi3o.jpg

2v2H5pJQLx9hi3o.jpg

2v2H5pTW8x9hi3o.jpg

Edited by tim boyd

• 3 months later...

Really enjoyed reading this Tim - I like your ‘Fotki-articles’!  

I never knew that the back of the driver’s seat should be metal - storing that away for future reference!

I actually purchased another of these kits to build something inspired by the brown-primered T that you built that was in Scale Auto a few years back - looks like I need another one to build my take on this version too!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 12:15 AM, CabDriver said:

Really enjoyed reading this Tim - I like your ‘Fotki-articles’!  

I never knew that the back of the driver’s seat should be metal - storing that away for future reference!

I actually purchased another of these kits to build something inspired by the brown-primered T that you built that was in Scale Auto a few years back - looks like I need another one to build my take on this version too!

Heh Jim....thanks for the note and glad you like those Fotki how-tos....   As a writer and cheerlead for the model car hobby....I love to hear stories where a project I did inspired others to do their version of the same general theme.   Would love to see yours when you deem appropriate!  

Best regards, and thanks again for the feedback.....TIM 

• Like 1