Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DB4 (circa) 1960

James2

If I could have a sports car, this would be it, the Gentleman's Racecar as known in certain circles. I purchased, even though it was missing a few pieces, an older Aurora kit several year ago and began to research for the build. I ended up finding another later Revell kit to complete the parts list. The body was the first to be worked on. I braced the rocker panels with some square tubing and CA to help keep things straight and hopefully together during this stage. I decided to go no bumpers, so I molded the lower body panels in place and started smoothing out the body. This created an assembly problem though! I discovered by building the chassis as two separate units I could install easily. I also molded the tail lights in for a more accurate look which will get some Molotow chrome and clear colors for the lights. The wheels are Tamiya light gun metal and black wash but the tires are from my parts box. They are a little smaller yet much better looking than the kit tires. The engine is box stock and shot with more gun metal then serval other shades of color and Molotow, brushed on and weather slightly. Having started last winter must everything else is brush painted in various colors and sheen just trying to build cleanly as possible without getting all detail happy with after market parts.  I'm leaning towards the factory lighter green metallic body color with a tan interior. This color is hard to find in a spray bomb so it may need to be custom mixed and wait for warmer weather to apply. It may be slow going while I wait for better weather to airbrush, but it will be an enjoyment to complete this model in the new year. I am by far no foreign car expert and my attempt to duplicate a fantastic sports car is really just my way of building a fun, simple classic. 

I found this just yesterday, It's a Bond DB5, but very interesting video...

IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3602.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3599.jpg

This Aurora kit along with the Maserati and at least two others, all in 1/25 scale were some of the best and most accurate kits Aurora ever did. They were considered good enough to be saved when Monogram bought the Aurora molds in '78 and were reissued a couple of times. Lets hope they still exist either with Atlantis or the German Revell. If they do still exist I'm sure we will see them again but they are worth hunting for. I built the Maserati in the late '60s and other then being repainted 30 years ago it still sits proudly in my display case and I'm hoping to build the Aston Martin in the next year or two.

I hate to dispute the Maserati, but its inaccuracies have really perplexed me on how to fix them. The leading edge of the roof line at the windshield curves upward when it should be pretty straight across, and the nose shape at the grille is way off – needs to be brought forward. Engine detail isn't much better, but it's easily fixable (if you don't do wiring – It has 2 plugs per cylinder.) Interior detail needs to be made more accurate. It can look great if these issues are conquered.

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Good subject and the build so far is looking very well done.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks Gary, I hope to...

2 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

I hate to dispute the Maserati, but its inaccuracies have really perplexed me on how to fix them. The leading edge of the roof line at the windshield curves upward when it should be pretty straight across, and the nose shape at the grille is way off – needs to be brought forward. Engine detail isn't much better, but it's easily fixable (if you don't do wiring – It has 2 plugs per cylinder.) Interior detail needs to be made more accurate. It can look great if these issues are conquered.

Skip could you post the car your working on!

This is mine, for which @sjordan2 was combined cheerleader and reference library:

The biggest and hardest to fix problem is the windshield. Not only is the top line wrong, but the cut out in the scuttle is the wrong shape... much too square. The only way to really get it right is to carve a master with the correct elliptical bottom edge and square cornered horizontal top line and plunge mould a vac replacement (or 3D print a clear part). Then you “just” have to part fill the scuttle cut out on the body and blend it all in, and fit the new windscreen between the two. That Maserati is frustrating: it’s a 50 year old example of what Bill @Ace-Garageguyoften says: it’s no harder to measure it and tool it right than wrong. I can only assume that Monogram had longer access to a real DB4 than a Maserati. Mind you, I’ll give them a pass on a 250GTO tooled only from pictures, but E-Type coupes must have been easily accessible. Revell UK got the convertible pretty bang on...

best,

M.

20 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

This is mine, for which @sjordan2 was combined cheerleader and reference library:

The biggest and hardest to fix problem is the windshield. Not only is the top line wrong, but the cut out in the scuttle is the wrong shape... much too square. The only way to really get it right is to carve a master with the correct elliptical bottom edge and square cornered horizontal top line and plunge mould a vac replacement (or 3D print a clear part). Then you “just” have to part fill the scuttle cut out on the body and blend it all in, and fit the new windscreen between the two. That Maserati is frustrating: it’s a 50 year old example of what Bill @Ace-Garageguyoften says: it’s no harder to measure it and tool it right than wrong. I can only assume that Monogram had longer access to a real DB4 than a Maserati. Mind you, I’ll give them a pass on a 250GTO tooled only from pictures, but E-Type coupes must have been easily accessible. Revell UK got the convertible pretty bang on...

best,

M.

Great to see that one again. Best ever of that kit.

On 1/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, Matt Bacon said:

best,

M.

Matt, you did an awesome job on that model - the photos in the Under Glass thread are really nice.  But that thread has no link to the WIP thread.  Could you post a link to that too?  That would be very handy (I also have this kit and will build it someday).

14 hours ago, peteski said:

Matt, you did an awesome job on that model - the photos in the Under Glass thread are really nice.  But that thread has no link to the WIP thread.  Could you post a link to that too?  That would be very handy (I also have this kit and will build it someday).

Thanks, @peteski. It's here:

And the image gallery is here:

https://cmatthewbacon.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Car-Modelling/Models-Gallery-12/

best,

M.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 3:06 PM, Matt Bacon said:

best,

M.

Part of the issue with these kits is that they were not tooled by Monogram, but by Aurora. Aurora's kits were not tooled in-house, but by companies who would not have access to the 1:1 cars (from what I have read, I believe the tools were crafted by HMS Associates in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania. There were some neat features to the kits, but there were details which would have been caught quickly by a look at the 1:1 prototype. Revell, being located in the Los Angeles area, would have had better access to imported cars (both through owners and dealerships), which probably accounts for the greater fidelity on the XK-E roadster. having written that, I still have a Maserati and Ferrari in the build pile, because I remember how exciting it was to build these kits back when they first were reissued by Monogram in the late 1970s. Opening doors, trunks, and the level of engine detail were impressive to see at the time (even if the front of the 250GTO reminded me of a goldfish...).

• 11 months later...

While I wait for the tail lights on the Show Rod I figured this was next in line on “The Finish them all tour.” 
 I finally settled on a suitable color for the interior which I hope represents a nice coco leather as it dries a flat finish. I finished priming the body and am ready to sand and paint it. Almost everything else is ready to assemble. 
FED55969-BDB6-4E13-89AF-CA82DDD1205F.thumb.jpeg.953b64ee0a8fa4508a38c23dfbf9cdac.jpeg