Model Cars Magazine Forum

New magazine from Kalmbach

Wonder if it features a Kalmbach car model standard:  "The Nation's Top Modelers Disclose Their Expert Tips and Techniques for Building Snap-Kits." 

It may contain some 'paid-but-yet-unpublished-when-we-pulled-the-plug' material, but if it is true to form with most Kalmbach special booklets, it will be packed with reprinted articles we've already seen in the past couple of years in SA(no E) RIP.

Hard pass. 

??

Edited by Danno

35 minutes ago, Danno said:

It may contain some 'paid-but-yet-unpublished-when-we-pulled-the-plug' material, but if it is true to form with most Kalmbach special booklets, it will be packed with reprinted articles we've already seen in the past couple of years in SA(no E) RIP.

My understanding is that it is all-new, previously unpublished material.  Don't quote me though, we'll have to wait and see the final result....and FWIW, my understanding is also that this project was well underway before Kalmbach stopped SA, so presumably much, if not all the content, was planned specifically for this pub....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

8 hours ago, slusher said:

Just curious why don’t they throw these articles in FSM to get more Scale Auto guys too subscribe to FSM?

Another marketing ploy by Kalmbach to bleed money out of SA guys to gain subscribers to FSM. 

Honestly, FSM don't care about scale auto, only fine scale in aircraft, armor, sci-fi, and miniatures. 

Without even looking at it, I bet it is reprinted articles from already published magazines all compiled into one place. Probably costs less than $20. Most who will buy it, already have the the articles, if they would just look for them.

I personally would not give them another dime, now that they have screwed over our segment of the hobby.

1 hour ago, Ron Warner said:

Everybody saying these are reprinted articles, does anyone know or is it just speculation in the absence of actually knowing anything? I mean, with all the people who are insiders here I'm sure someone actually knows.

Tim Boyd said yesterday that it was his understanding it is comprised of all new material.  I don't doubt Tim Boyd.  But, I'd be surprised if Clambake resists the overwhelming urge and their track-record history of stuffing it with previously published material.  But I'm just a skeptic. I hope Tim Boyd is right. It would be a better swan song than to just re-hash the same old same old.

??

3 hours ago, Xingu said:

Without even looking at it, I bet it is reprinted articles from already published magazines all compiled into one place. Probably costs less than $20. Most who will buy it, already have the the articles, if they would just look for them.

I personally would not give them another dime, now that they have screwed over our segment of the hobby.

Kinda like other magazines do from time to time, right? I mean I have seen the same M.O. from many other publications without as much complaining.

The fact that Tim Boyd is contributing to the special issue and has stated that it is (to his knowledge) all new material should tell us something about this magazine, no? 

I ,for one, look forward to this issue as I see it as a means to learn more about the car modeling hobby. 

The way they killed Scale Auto, has left many modelers with hard feelings and they lost trust. I believe Tim Boyd about new material. I do believe there might be some old material with the new. The only way is too take a chance and buy one...

This thread right here be the epitome of this entire forum. If enough people actually...ya know BOUGHT SA...it wouldn't have been dropped. Mighty fine faux outrage in a place it was derided as "the other mag". Besides if SA and FSM individually couldn't float, what were they gonna do, merge the IPMS stuff into SA? Whether you want to admit it or not FSM is a broad enough title to fold cars into as opposed to SA being changed to Scale Auto...and planes, and armor...and SciFi.

As much as it pains me to interject actual information into this weekend retreat of butt hurt...I mean the rampant baseless, fact less speculation is a hoot and all...here's the actual advertising I presume about 3.2 of you saw before losing your minds. Oh and it's $12.99 since looking up the price was too big an ask when you're off on a tangent about how evil the corporate overlords act.

20210101_143805.png.09b386347dc6dcb7df728ee44137c6c1.png

20210101_143824.png.92d7f406fb5ce09832e89a155c563ea2.png

"Screwed over our segment if the hobby." Really?

So I guess Kalmbach had some sort of sacred obligation to continue publishing SA even though it was hemorrhaging subscribers and advertising dollars in an industry fighting just to keep its head above water? Yes, I'm sure the decision to jettison the title had everything to do with "screwing over" car modelers and zero to do with business because, ya know, that's just how those evil corporations like KB roll.

Oh, and I would hasten to add that when I subscribed to SA, I received every single issue that I paid for, aside from the one issue of FSM I received as a make-good after SA folded and before my subscription lapsed. And I received them on schedule every single time. Can't say the same for a certain other publication I could name, but won't. So which one's guilty of screwing folks over, hmmm?

Edited by RickyD

2 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Kinda like other magazines do from time to time, right? I mean I have seen the same M.O. from many other publications without as much complaining.

The fact that Tim Boyd is contributing to the special issue and has stated that it is (to his knowledge) all new material should tell us something about this magazine, no? 

I ,for one, look forward to this issue as I see it as a means to learn more about the car modeling hobby. 

Oh, I know other magazines do it. Most other magazines don't do it right after they canceled your subscription and try to get you hooked on something else. Just rubs me wrong is all.