Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge L700 rebuild

Built this old IMC kit box stock way back when they first came out, whenever that was....

About 25 years ago I started a rebuild that included stretching the frame and adding a tag axle stolen from the IMC trailer kit.

It was originally light/dark blue 2-tone, but was repainted to match my Dodge A100 monster truck (photo included for reference). Then in got stashed away in a box along with the custom drop-deck trailer I had started to go with it.

Finally...it is out of the box and back on the bench. Time to get 'er done! And the trailer as well.

1231201104.jpg.7174715debc2fce09ec4314141cca1a8.jpg

1231201105_HDR.jpg.f6c7b80194adfe2b1f27aead70cac313.jpg

0128191213.jpg.a477ae8c8a393aaa6e9f1829b84bb947.jpg

Making a little progress. The drop-deck trailer was originally the IMC Big Rig semi trailer. The deck was cut into three pieces with the rear section being mated to suspension, wheels and tires from an old AMT 1/32 scale reefer trailer. I still have to figure out how to attach the deck sections together.

0105211623.jpg.d0dfe3bc1f1e0a4bb0d39b9b8a354c12.jpg

This is what the truck looked like when is was originally built years ago. Sorry for the poor photo...it is a pic of an old fuzzy color print.

0105211152.jpg.d9791c38029748bac4e4ade38fef983d.jpg

Nice to see a restoration of an old kit and it’s looking good!  

Looks like you were able to get the cab to sit level. Typically on these kits the cab tilts down at the front.  

what did you do to get the correct angle of the cab?  I have the repop of this kit with the tanker trailer on my bench and want to get the correct look. 

13 hours ago, steveracer said:

Nice to see a restoration of an old kit and it’s looking good!  

Looks like you were able to get the cab to sit level. Typically on these kits the cab tilts down at the front.  

what did you do to get the correct angle of the cab?  I have the repop of this kit with the tanker trailer on my bench and want to get the correct look. 

I added a spacer between the front axle and the springs.

When I built the A100 years ago, I left the MT wheels removeable so I can convert it to transport mode. Today I ordered a set of semi truck wheels/tires to serve as the transfer set. Guess I need to get some tie down chains too!

0107211750.jpg.7987c77d98bc3e0e7c1e2c20b144dc6f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...