Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Are You Planning/Hoping to Build in 2021?

Lets see...

a Chrylser 300 (windsor deluxe ?)

'69 hardtop Plymouth GTX- its been started by my youngest son

'69 Ragtop Plymouth GTX- started by me alongside my youngest

2015 Ford GT- (a personal holy grail car if money ever falls from the sky)- opened but untouched

87 Buick GNX-opened but untouched

'65 Chevy Stepside- opened but untouched

Freightliner Cabover with a Tanker trailer- both at a major painting stage, but no warm area to paint in (west central Ohio)

Mack DM 600 Truck- mostly assembled

Millenium Falcon- the huge '80s AMT/ERTL one.

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Yea, I lasted five days! Now I’m chasing a long wheelbase Jeep down the merry path!

I hear ya. I managed to slide another one--maybe even two--very high up on my list already. ADD is a tragic, debilitating disease. :unsure:

I have just started a Fiat Barchetta build but my goals for 2021 are to complete stalled builds from 2020 (I got distracted with all sorts of non automotive builds last year)...

Goal 1... to finish the Italeri Range Rover Mk.1 in home made Garda Síochána markings.

Goal 2, 3 & 4... to finish building Charlie, Arthur and Camp Freddie's cars... (HMP 729G, GPF 146G & LGW 809G)

...after those who knows, I would like to tackle a Ferrari, probably a Mythos.

I have a dozen or more started I would like to finish maybe one or two of those before starting something else.  But my #1 priority is finding a dependable electrician to wire the two 240 volt heaters I have in my basement so I can work comfortably without having to wear a heavy coat.  

I'm hoping to finish about six of my kits saved from 1959-65, and/or complete rebuilding some of my small but very ancient collection that have been damaged, etc.  I have first release models uncompleted but nearly so of: 1953 Studebaker Starlight converted to convertible, 1960 Chrysler 2-dr HT to CHP-sponsored match racer, 1949 converted to '51 Ford club coupe (one I drove to college), 1956 Chevy 2.dr sedan converted to '55 (one I drove to high school), 1959 Scarab/Chevy (from 'slot car' to near replica; still have original decal sheet!), 1961 Continental convertible modified to 'sports roadster, ala T-Bird Style-line custom, resin 1952 White 3000 tilt-cab set up as ramp-rod on disguised Ford C-series chassis (I owned a real one), and a 1961 Pontiac Bonny converted to Catalina bubble-top using Chevy B-A roof (wished I'd owned one!) -- so far.  Which ones to do?  Well, I'm 75 years o age, so I'd better hurry, huh?  Wick Humble

• 5 weeks later...

Not one to make new year's resolutions, so I'll keep it simple. Keep working on the egg crate grille and the car behind it. Keep working on the big boat ,trailer, and also do some detailing on the power wagon. Keep working on the 62 T-bird, Opel GT, and Lincoln Continental with a cut down 32 Ford grille. Eventually start on the new 29 Ford model A. Maybe start on the AMT 3 in 1 runabout. And can't forget my vision of the ultimate deuce roadster. Oh yeah, the Maisto Bugatti Chiron that needs disc brakes........ Then there's my stash!

Not so much hoping on what to build as much as I am hoping after all my years of model building to slow down and not rush. To think about what I'm doing and not being satisfied with good enough. I will never be nowhere as good as most builders here but I should be able to do better than I do.

planning to make more time for building this year.  I only finished one in 2020, and it had been a long while before that.  I sold off about half my stash, and then bought a few kits I really wanted to build.  The build list, in it's current, subject-to-change, order:

1. '63 Nova wagon

1a. curbside '66 nova using the bits leftover from the wagon build.

2. '60 chevy pickup 

3. AMT '55 corvette - the box art drag racer

4. AMT '59 corvette - "street rods" issue, box stock, maybe even with the two-piece tires

5. a pair of original MPC Dukes Chargers, both red.  One in my dad's style, and one my way.  

If I can get through these this year, I'll be pretty happy.

• 1 month later...

So, with the first quarter of the year gone, how's everyone doing on their plans? 

At the beginning of the year, I listed 18 hopeful projects. By this weekend I should have completed five builds, only two of which were on my list. I claim an infestation of shiny squirrels. :lol:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

So, with the first quarter of the year gone, how's everyone doing on their plans? 

At the beginning of the year, I listed 18 hopeful projects. By this weekend I should have completed five builds, only two of which were on my list. I claim an infestation of shiny squirrels. :lol:

We’re a quarter through already?! 😩😂  I finished the first on my list, which was “a Model A Highboy with a ridiculous paintjob”.  I think I achieved that, mostly

D8375569-C4A8-4684-B3EA-442B1D45DE02.thumb.jpeg.8d418c27b63208c014e3b5840b2c8e6d.jpeg

Next on my list was a trike, which I’ve started (but it’s taking me a while...gonna take YEARS to do all six...

This WASN’T on the list but FSM sent me it to review so that was a fun quickie box-stock build:

30E17B8D-5ABD-4937-86BE-AEA28AB1EC29.thumb.jpeg.b458cd5d70310561f9103425c26a276b.jpeg

I’d better speed up a little here if I’m gonna finish the rest of what I had planned!

2AF44D0C-268A-4347-8FB6-DF5003D30C6C.jpeg.a9c219b6eac8d1253de4d144962cb37b.jpeg

A funny thing.. the other day I was thinking about a first quarter progress report....

26D22566-D50E-4AAB-B0E2-2A7EA79C1D12.jpeg.d54db424c74536caa58e2a6b27f8606d.jpeg

Per my original post, I did put the final details on the Jeepster, and the trailer with Junker Jeep. 

5C910933-326D-4C5B-8187-A5C51DC84056.jpeg.6c8f8692fc4de3485c6d1642fb6a8d6f.jpeg

I did get the Red Chariot done per my post.  That’s where we saw the squirrels 🐿 

C09CA242-0B7E-4625-A6FC-50A61286B363.jpeg.7190fa935b4c38644edc361fd1803fb2.jpeg

Squirrel One is the long wheelbase Jeep. It is still on the bench but I haven’t concentrated on it.

9922E57D-9F52-47CD-A06B-A0EB40AD0024.jpeg.61f793920948a723473ac00e814217cf.jpeg

And once I sawed the back off the Jeep, I got sidetracked and built this little trailer!

96A4A50B-3314-4CF8-A102-E043E32B9CEA.jpeg.ba7b0b4e965230574cb2a41196934609.jpeg

Then for Bring Out Your Dead I chose the Studebaker Gullwing over the other worthy subjects I had mentioned in my post. I am making progress, but missed the Q1 deadline, so I soldier on for Q2 completion.

7202D4AE-A892-472F-BABA-D3234C193E75.jpeg.c8159895ca222cee3ef67bafc375b7a7.jpeg

Somehow this one snuck into the queue.. all built from junker parts.. and finished!

F50A5DDD-8983-4FD8-8E14-A4A122A995E0.jpeg.dae9db4904e305fc69ef35ad69d54424.jpeg

And I played with a sorta rescue for The Olde Kustom Kollection, ElCamino and trailer duo.  
A5D2CDD2-4667-41E5-831E-31E494FB5C3F.jpeg.fc786586bea6050dda8d72f1d98b0ae9.jpeg

Ah! Forgot the Valiant Speedster that’s on the bench! Another squirrel 🐿 

2275573C-3A11-4FC4-93B9-5E49E95C379A.jpeg.338cd73ffdd1ed5d74acfae9f712b6a2.jpeg

And I will claim extra credit for reworking and adding shelves into my two display cases!

Guess I did get some stuff done! 

Edited by Tom Geiger

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I missed the initial post for this thread, but so far, I've finished a Fujimi Ferrari 330 P4 and Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3 as part of a Daytona 24 and a Sebring group build from a 1/1 car forum I frequent. I'm in the middle of building Ben Keating's 2019 Ford GT Le Mans car. For the rest of the year, I'm hoping to build a Nunu Audi R8 GT3, another Nunu BMW M6 GT3, their M8 GTE (if they ever release it!), and hopefully start on my Lotus Esprit X180R conversion (using the Monogram kit) and/or McLaren 570S GT4 conversion (Revell kit).

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ben

I have the GMC Crackerbox truck and car hauler trailer (two separate kits), 1961 Ranchero, and 1961 Falcon sedan delivery (Courier).  Nearing completion is a 1960 Falcon sedan.  Well along are a 59 Elcamino,  and 46 Chevy panel. Started a 1960 Chevy sedan delivery. 

The four I have completed is double the output from last year.

I want to complete the long wheelbase Rolls Royce from the Hubley/MiniCraft 62 Rolls kit to replicate a car my boss owns, Start work on the Howmet from the two glue bomb cars and the CanAm roadster kits. Continue trying to make Canadian versions of the Ford Trucks and Chevelles and Novas. I really like the Beaumonts and the Acadians. I may attempt to make a stab at Meteors and Canadian Ford cars too. I have a 1/12 scale Cord I want to start this year as well....and so much more!

• 2 weeks later...

At age 75 (spelled seventy-five... alas!) I'm still moving on old, very old projects which I still have from 'the day', which for me was about 1959-1965:  

* A'53 Stude ragtop, with stock frame X-member added based on my old Avanti kit, just need to find colors wild enough, but period corerect.

*A 'saved' '60 JoHan Chrysler HT with G-2 Hemi power, done as a CHP cruiser converted to pro-street, on a Duke's charger frame.

*A 'rescued' '50 Ford converted to ragtop/kustom; sectioned, molded pans, the works with Cad power; full t 'n r, bubble skirts, and all.

*A 'Miller' street roadster, based on a ruined Cad V-16, now V-12 DOCH (based on Hawk M-B '39 GP car engine) with transaxle, Bugatti GP spokers (Harry had them first on the TNT car proto), exposed fuel tank ala MGTC, DuVall Winshield, bobbed Model A top, etc.

*'61 T-Bird roadster, based on Styleline kit I began in '61; huge marine V-16, individual cockpits with driver's headrest, giant wire wheels, in red of course.  

*A '58 Cad die-cast (Maisto, I think) done in a ratty style, homage a Stray Cats band; flat black DP3770, with red interior, w/w's and graphics, to match my 1:16 die cast "59 ragtop done in Larry Watson style and colors.  Ned to find some 1:16 guitars for versimiltude.

My first attempt at a diorama: the scene from Leave It To Beaver where Eddie Haskell and Wally Cleaver jerk the rear-end out of Lumpy Rutherford's pretty '40 Ford ragtop (car is done, converted from broken AMT '40 coupe), with the brush-flamed A-bone touring car of Bud Anderson broken-down across the street.  Billy Gray told me he thought it was painted gray by the studio!  Wish me luck, folks!

*Resurrecting more damaged in storage rods and kustoms; I put my cars in a big box in 1969 when the Army grabbed me!

*More replicas of 'MY" rides: '55 Chevy DelRay post (61), 'and 51 Ford Club Coupe ('63) to go with my '65 Tempest Custom 2-dr HT 326/stick; all of which are conversions (maybe never again!)

I rotate jobs; seems to keep my efforts from getting blunt, but doesn't make for instant progress.  I joined IPMS and after C-19 gets less, will be attending meetings of the Dragonlady chapter in Yuba Ciaty, CA -- I hope!  

Stay healthy; Wick Humble Chico CA

This one will be done............soon.

P1016913-vi.jpg

Then these two will be on my table simultaneously.......

Shelby Green Hornet....

photo3-vi.jpg

And the 1/8th Agora Shelby Cobra when the last of the parts will come in October.

P1017025-vi.jpg

My ultimate project I want to get started on before the year is out??

This car... ;)

10868_4.jpg.e18230de5ee1ebf572f8633dd32dfe16.jpg

I've got everything I need now to get started including the hood I FINALLY found on eBay from a junker Salvinos Olds body. I'll be using a '75 Johan Olds as a start with the rear roof section from a junk Monte Carlo body (modified slightly).

I might throw a oddball model in between all of this. I've got a certain Dune Buggy that's been on my mind for the longest time. It'll be one of those models I've not done before so it'll be something new as far as building.

Ambitious list for sure with working every day and all, but certainly enough to keep busy for the long foreseeable future. The Olds is especially important for me as it's the car I'd like to take to GSL if I can get there in '23 with no hangups I hope.