Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Are You Planning/Hoping to Build in 2021?

I usually don't find the time to build more than one kit a year (maybe two when the kits are simple and I build them box stock), so it's always a tough choice.

But I think I'll do the Revell '32 5 window coupe with some modifications (top chop, kitbash engine and wheels).

Edited by mattg

10 hours ago, Venom said:

Snake, I noticed at the top of your list was a 70 Superbird... I always thought it would be a fun challenge to try and replicate the smoke blowin’ Superbird/Daytona, whatever it was, that Joe Dirt drove and picked up his girlfriend/sister in, whichever she was. I know I won’t be getting to that anytime in the near future, but would love to see someone’s attempt at it.?

My Cannonball Superbird will be a little "dirty," but not Joe Dirty. B):lol:

4 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Finish something. Anything. '65 Nova is still closest.

Would love to see you finish that. It's inspiring my '62 Nova build. Model on, old friend! B)

Hard to say what's in store to build in 2021. It all depends on my mood. I've got a few kits shelved I want to finish and a few auto kits planned. I also have a few Group Builds I'm participating in over at SPAM, including two I'm hosting (first one in January 4th, the other in Summer 2021). My only real goal is to beat my own record of 7 builds of 2020.

3 hours ago, Deuces ll said:

Looks like 15 or so in that picture.... What a shame! ?

When I was there last yr they were talking about clearing them out . Thankfully Brockway owners were successful in gaining access to parts before they will eventually hauled away. One truck was purchased,  and 2 others kept to restore . It was very humbling walking around looking at them, after hearing stories of their lifetime 

I'm hoping to get working on some kits in my stash and some of the ones I got that need restored.

Been hoping to build a General Lee as well, might be easier said then done not willing to pay the amount people are wanting on Ebay for a Charger kit plus aftermarket decals. Don't really see it a $100 plus kit myself.

I have a few that I want to build and actually keep for myself this year. 

1) Finish my 62 F100 with lightning running gear                 

2) 66 Ford wrecker

3) New General Lee (my way)

4) 4x4 VW Bug with toy hauler camper trailer built from a VW bus

5) anything else I have time for & make some money on.

9 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I plan on following every squirrel that crosses my path. 

I should adopt this.  ?

I made my 2021 Resolution, but nothing says I have to stick to it.  I have about 20 other future projects not listed.  Then the random 'I have to do this one just because' which will not be announced.

IMG_0811.jpg

First thing would be to finish the 3 I have on my bench right now ,, '72 Chevy stepside, custom '65 Impala and the '77 Pinto.  ,, plus the Rodan Boeing 720. 

After that ,,, who knows? Wherever that darn squirrel leads me. ?

Possibly a custom 1st gen Eldorado on a Riviera chassis? 

Maybe another hotrod. I was thinking last night of a "King T" but with a center door sedan body.

Possibly build/restore my Astro 1 Corvair concept car.

Got a few kits for Christmas to go along with my dozen or so unbuilt stash. For Christmas I got the Split Window '63 Vette, Mustang GT350H, Porsche 959 and my wife and daughter also found a '66 SS Chevelle being auctioned on Ebay to go along with the one I already had to do a dual build as I bought it new and the other as I did the mods I did to it. 

Soooo, what to do next (after finishing the 2 WIP's)?Hmmmmm.

My stash is unremarkable apart from it is supposed to compromise of no more than one kit... Thing is, how do you know you'll ever get the same opportunity to buy it for the right price in future? ? Hope to get some of these done unless urgent newcomers leapfrog them!

IMG_20210102_205419088.thumb.jpg.52b020a4e25215457288702158e6e1cd.jpg

Great topic! I was gazing upon my stash yesterday pondering this very question. In 2021 I plan to sink my teeth into a Fujimi Dino and Fujimi Porsche 356. I would also like to build a fat daddy Caddy and of the small handful of Cadillac kits in my stash I still haven’t settled which will be the first victim. Outside of that; we’ll see where the muses take me.

My more concrete plans are very immediate. First and foremost, I will slowly, patiently, carefully put the finishing touches on the ‘59 Skyliner on the bench. Next, I will perform a minor spiritual cleansing ritual- burn some sage, say a few blessings- on and around the bench to purge any curses or dark entities that may been conjured by the endless string of profanities uttered over said Skyliner. After that.... It will be interesting to revisit this topic in 364 days to see how the wants and plans held up.

Either way, I hope everyone here on the forum has a happy, healthy and prosperous (and styrene-filled) new year! 

Meanwhile, my projects aren’t as cool as Bill’s, but I got inspired by this thread to think through what I really want to build this year - although my mental to-do list changes pretty frequently.  SQUIRREL!

42F8A525-1151-449E-8F9C-EDBCAC0E9E28.jpeg.de31dc05d169298a12e58ac76435e4ab.jpeg

Just started messing with number one on the list today, in fact!

5713CEE7-54A8-4A4A-8E34-C6EA5A720EE0.thumb.jpeg.706b14260e92789f91af3b87e32bbc63.jpeg