Model Cars Magazine Forum

TS VS PS

I have a couple of spray cans of Tamiya PS paints here and would like to use them up.Is there any reason I cant use them on a

primered styrene body? I know the PS is for rc cars but paint is paint on primer right? Your thoughts......

After a quick search...they may be hot so a primer is definitely needed. The main thing is that they are intended for the interior of a clear polycarbonate or lexan body so they will appear to be a flat finish. Nothing a clear coat couldn’t remedy.

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I would practice them on something less important first.

I know R/C paint is really hot, maybe even hotter than lacquer paint. It's designed to stick to polycarbonate plastic bodies and I'm not too sure if even lacquer paint sticks to that.

How about Future as a barrier coat and then the paint???... Are those RC bodies clear????

• 2 years later...

This is very informative.  I may try the PS paints on a car model, for no other reason than they do have a couple of paints in that line that are not offered in the TS line (specifically, metallic purple, copper, fluorescent pink which is very close to panther pink, cherry red, etc)  

The metallic purple is one that I definately want to try on a cuda, and I think the metallic flake will be more in scale than the Testors purplicious (yes, I know about scalefinishes, etc  but I'm done with airbrushing, much prefer rattlecans now!)

Bluenote

Model master made the mopar colors in a laquer.  I used the panther pink, plum crazy, sublime, and the oranges were excellent. 

Don't know if the testors release to hobby lobby has them or not 

Also not sure what stores you have available but these may be worth looking for for your mopars

On 2/1/2023 at 11:06 AM, Mopar maniac 74 said:

Bluenote

Model master made the mopar colors in a laquer.  I used the panther pink, plum crazy, sublime, and the oranges were excellent. 

Don't know if the testors release to hobby lobby has them or not 

Also not sure what stores you have available but these may be worth looking for for your mopars

These have all been discontinued. You'd be lucky to find them anymore.