Model Cars Magazine Forum

I have a couple of spray cans of Tamiya PS paints here and would like to use them up.Is there any reason I cant use them on a

primered styrene body? I know the PS is for rc cars but paint is paint on primer right? Your thoughts......

I would practice them on something less important first.

I know R/C paint is really hot, maybe even hotter than lacquer paint. It's designed to stick to polycarbonate plastic bodies and I'm not too sure if even lacquer paint sticks to that.

After a quick search...they may be hot so a primer is definitely needed. The main thing is that they are intended for the interior of a clear polycarbonate or lexan body so they will appear to be a flat finish. Nothing a clear coat couldn’t remedy.

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I would practice them on something less important first.

I know R/C paint is really hot, maybe even hotter than lacquer paint. It's designed to stick to polycarbonate plastic bodies and I'm not too sure if even lacquer paint sticks to that.

How about Future as a barrier coat and then the paint???... Are those RC bodies clear????

I have used them over DupliColor primer. They will dry flat and need a clear coat. 

The PS paints are designed to be flexible, which may case issues if you are masking in the form of stringers of paint, edges that distort. Spoon tests over primer = good idea.

Definitely spoon test them!  As has been said, the R/C paints are much more aggressive and flexible than the styrene paints, no matter if it’s Tamiya or Testors and then get a good clear coat on them.

Tamiya PS paints are a lot less volatile than other R/C paints, but a good primer coat is needed. I have sprayed PS paints over Tamiya primers successfully, but test first before committing.YMMV.

Thanks for the information, I knew it was for rc bodys but dident think about it being hot.I just thought flexible.

Looks like I have some spoon painting to do........thanks