Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Ford LN8000 Racecar Hauler (extended version)

My entry in this years BRBO is a Ford Race Car Hauler. It is something I have really wanted to do for a long time. I have leftover cab parts from my two Freightliner COEs. I will repurpose them into a sleeper for this build. I have an unbuilt Coke truck that I have been robbing parts from. It will provide the frame rails and other parts needed to extend the wheelbase. Time to stop dreaming about it and get to it.

Ford Race car hauler kit.JPG

Ford race car hauler unstarted.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
Fixed topic

15 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Following this one Bill.  Anything in particular planned for the race car, or one you already have?

As far as a race car, I have a 67 Mustang GT that I am stuffing a 427 SOHC motor into. Unfortunately it has stalled due to inability to paint due to winter weather. (Body is painted teardrop hood is not). I am going to combine this rig with a trailer and Chevelle I did years ago.

Chevelle on trailer.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Timeless classic truck  !!! Ford really hit the mark with this style truck, they've been used on everything  .

Looks like a fun build , now your dreams can come true ! 

6 hours ago, Pete68 said:

Bill I’m in always like this kit 

Thank you for the encouragement. I have been in a building slump. My Mustangs have been disappointing and I have a bunch of other projects taking up my time.

12 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Thank you for the encouragement. I have been in a building slump. My Mustangs have been disappointing and I have a bunch of other projects taking up my time.

Just clean the slate and start this one and don’t look back till it’s done lol ? 

After studying my leftover Freightliner pieces, I have decided that they might be too much of a hassle to make a sleeper from them. However, this build will have a sleeper. Sam just came through for me and has put a parts box 36" sleeper in the mail. So looking forward to making this happen. I need to study if I can use the Freightliner pieces to maybe round off the leading edge of the ramp bed. We shall see. Off to the bench I go!

On 1/5/2021 at 5:54 AM, gotnitro? said:

The plastics flying now  ! Fun taking spare parts and repurposing them into something completely different 

2 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

I’m looking forward to seeing what you are able to do here. Your ideas are very interesting. 

Just got done deflashing the ramp/box. Now that I have a 36" sleeper I am toying with the idea of using the Freightliner pieces to round off the front corners of the box. May be more work than it is worth. We shall see. Here is the pic of the sleeper Sam sent. The pic did not stick to the intended post.

36inch sleeper.JPG

I checked on how the giant ramp notches would work with a lowered car. Not so good. Even backed in didn't work because the rear bumper hits the front wall. So I just cut off the forward portion of the ramp and replaced it with scale diamond plate sheet that was reinforced. Much better now. Most cars will work except the REALLY low ones. Now onto dealing with the awkward tire rack.

Ramp notch too deep 2.JPG

Ramp notch backed in not good.JPG

Ramp replaced with diamond plate.JPG

Deck much better.JPG