Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Ford LN8000 Racecar Hauler (extended version)

52 minutes ago, kilrathy10 said:

I love projects like this... Very nice work... I like the solution you came up with to address the giant recesses in the ramp... Exactly what I would have done... Never liked those... Like I said, I really like this project, and I'll be following with much interest...

Thanks JT. I am reworking with the tire rack. I like the concept of a tire rack but not how it was done.

Made some more changes today. I was not liking the rain gutter tire rack and the little wings on the side. I separated the top plate from the gutter and rotated the gutter concave side rearward instead of up. The original top diamond plate is now vertical in front of the parking spot. A new larger diamond plate deck covers the top. I needed a ladder so I visited my friend Tim. He gave me an absolutely PERFECTLY sized ladder. The length, width and thickness were spot on. He thinks it came from a 1/32 fire truck. It worked out great.

Tire rack mod.JPG

Tire rack mod 2.JPG

Ladder from Tim.JPG

39 minutes ago, kilrathy10 said:

Looking good... I am curious how the tires will be secured... That rack has always baffled me with it being right in the hatchway... Seemed like a big waste of cargo space, but that's where they put it.... It does look better the way you have it, though...

Thanks. I plan on putting a rod about 3/8" away to kind of cradle the tires. I am not fond of it being in the hatchway either. In reality there is no reason to have the door opening so high. I had contemplated moving the tire rack in front of the box but the sleeper will actually occupy part of where it would go. (The mock up earlier in the thread shows the cab and sleeper much lower than it will actually be). I also thought of leaving it off altogether but I found a way to use it.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:32 PM, Sam I Am said:

Great ideas Bill. 

12 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Nice change really cool trick using the tube w pin to hold the tires in rack

1 hour ago, kilrathy10 said:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! I like it.... Excellent idea for the tire rack... That is very cool... Very good idea...

21 minutes ago, Bronzekeg said:

great start on this build

Thanks guys. I like solving problems. Execution is usually the biggest challenge.

I never really liked the bed in these kits, but you have found a way to fix that. I like your modifications to this bed!! I like the sleeper idea too. I have an old truck magazine with a long hood Louisville with a Mercury style sleeper on it that I thought looked cool. Looking forward to seeing more of this one!