Model Cars Magazine Forum

Workbench setup

I will be starting my first model kit very soon, but first I need to clean up a spare room in my basement and make it cosy and suitable for working with model kits.

Maybe anyone wants to share their own workbench setups? And give me some tips and ideas on what to do and what to make?

Welcome Matas. Any flat surface will work. The number one thing for me is LOTS of light! Number two is shelves and drawers to keep paints and supplies in. This is a desk from Ikea that I have modified slightly. I also use magnetic hooks on the refrigerator beside me for hanging items on.

C10D4D66-053C-4017-90CE-9CC112716694.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Welcome Matas. Any flat surface will work. The number one thing for me is LOTS of light! Number two is shelves and drawers to keep paints and supplies in. This is a desk from Ikea that I have modified slightly. I also use magnetic hooks on the refrigerator beside me for hanging items on.

C10D4D66-053C-4017-90CE-9CC112716694.jpeg

There is a pretty big desk in basement with 4 drawers on each side that I am going to use, I was thinking about making shelves, but dont want them to be collecting dust and pouring them on my working area and painted parts

On 1/2/2021 at 6:55 AM, MatasKershys said:

I was thinking about making shelves, but dont want them to be collecting dust and pouring them on my working area and painted parts

The advantages of shelves far outweigh their disadvantages. They create space. You'll soon find you need all of that you can get! ? Here's my setup. It's taken me many years to put my shop together. It's small, but everything is easy to access, based on frequency of use.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

• Like 1

As you build the space you need will never seem big enough, I got back to building about 2 years ago and set this work area up then in my basement I continue to rearrange stuff to improve it, this half of my basement is storage other than my work area. Behind where I sit is my stash and paint booth..

BC540A8D-5818-40EF-AF36-113C38A1B7AC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Our work benches are our come zones where everything is basically at arms length and the music is just loud enough to drown out the constant negative news coming over the TV. 

One year we actually had a full size modeling work bench loaded like those shown here as the object of a contest at one of our Toledo NNL shows. The bench was very carefully curated to be circa 1962. There was one item on that bench that was not correct for that era and the object of this was to correctly identify that item to win a prize. There were hundreds of parts to look through including kit parts, tools,etc. It was a lot of fun and got a lot of attention.

F31F2C36-9ABE-4698-983B-7036D3C7D59C.jpeg.6dc454f439088f6260ff1b12a6f9df24.jpeg

Older photo of my workbench, not much has changed, except it’s messier!  Bench is actually a hollow core door wrapped in brown paper, sitting on top of two old nightstands. 

EECAE997-9B83-48E3-BABB-9F199AF664D6.jpeg.ccc0e0f8bfb3f6682cffcd3a464eebff.jpeg

The actual work area is an old board, partly covered with thick glass. The board is important to protect the bench, as I can drill into it and spill things on it.  I also have a few holes drilled in it to hold pieces for sanding and such.

The glass was originally the lens on a full size Xerox copier. Perfectly flat for precision work, and I clean it with a razor blade occasionally. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

EECAE997-9B83-48E3-BABB-9F199AF664D6.jpeg.ccc0e0f8bfb3f6682cffcd3a464eebff.jpeg

The glass was originally the lens on a full size Xerox copier. Perfectly flat for precision work, and I clean it with a razor blade occasionally. 

The glass is absolutely great for certain tasks. I have four 12”x12” pieces of 3/16 thick glass with polished edges that I use. I can’t recall where I got them? As for my bench...I should have put a piece of plywood down on it. I have drilled through my cutting mat a number of times already.

2 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Great thread. Our work benches are our come zones where everything is basically at arms length and the music is just loud enough to drown out the constant negative news coming over the TV. 

My retirement cave.  Love the comment about drowning out the negative news.....

I have all I need at arms length.  I'd say that lighting is probably my most important concern.  I spend alot of time here so lighting makes a big difference on my 68 year old eyes.  My computer is the second most important tool...  love looking up reference stuff for my builds and listening to music ?

I have three Ikea rolling drawers that I love and have full of my tools, plastic stock, etc.  Matter of fact, the tables are Ikea as well.  I built the wooden shelving that I have my paints on.  I use plastic shoebox sized containers from Target to hold my projects.  Cheap and work great.

This cave didn't happen overnight, but it's been worth it

IMG-8435.JPG

IMG-8433.JPG

IMG-8434.JPG

IMG-8432.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Camaro lover said:

This topic is a big help for me. I’m getting ready to convert my 8 x 10 walk in closet into my new hobby room. 

That's about what my shop is (actually, 7'x9'). I built a bunch of wood shelves that sit on my benches. I have a paint booth, a Dremel workstation, a combo disc/belt sander, and a Sherline 4000 lathe and a 5400 mill. And, my stash, too! It all fits, and I love it, because almost everything's within easy reach. It remains a work in progress, as I keep discovering little refinements in the organization of it. If you have any questions, I might be able to help, as I have some experience with putting 10 pounds of stuff in a five pound bag!

Here’s my workbench and my storage unit. Workbench is 8ft long and 42 inches deep as well as 42 inches high. Storage shelf is from Home Depot and is 4 feet wide and 6 feet tall and 2 feet deep.

IMG_0672.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

• Like 1