Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1926 Mack

I just started work on this, on Christmas day. Since I finished my "Indy-ish" project on Christmas Eve, and I got the original, stake bed issue on Christmas morning in 1973, I thought it would be a perfect time for a little nostalgia. Well, without the finished in a day part! ? My focus on this project will be on  paint--on duplicating colors and  textures to create a realistic finish for a truck that sees daily use, is fairly well maintained, but has been around the block, a few times. I'm no going for crazy patina. The only modifications I'm allowing myself (cough, cough) are plug wires and a poseable steer axle. Not too far along, yet. I have the chassis and rear suspension put together. I am in the process of paint detailing. I really like the effect I was able to get on the hubs(?). Anyway, here is my start. Questions, critiques and comments are always welcome! Thanks for looking.

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

5 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

I think the chains need to be a bit darker to reflect the oil that gets dripped on them every day.  There are little canisters above the drive sprockets that drip oil onto the chain as it rotates.  I do like the worn but serviceable look everywhere else.  Looks great.

You are correct, Charles. The "slurry" I mixed for the chains looked much darker, when I applied it. When it dried, it was the same shade as the Testors "Steel" I used on the inside surface. I shall get that fixed!

On 1/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, Chariots of Fire said:

I think the chains need to be a bit darker to reflect the oil that gets dripped on them every day.

First, thank you for your comments, Charles. I appreciate them, especially coming from a builder of your ability.

Second, the first mixture of oils I used to paint the chain with was a mixture of permasol black and raw umber oil paints,and (obviously too much!) Testors steel. Today, I finally got around to  mixing a new finish for the chain. This time, simply the permasol black and the raw umber. I think it looks better. I got the steering built, as well. I can set it on the wheels!

2DSC_0002CR.jpg

2DSC_0006cr.jpg

2DSC_0007cr.jpg

2DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

18 hours ago, landman said:

Beautiful work.

Thank you, Pat.

15 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Looks to me like you hit paydirt!  Nice work!

Excellent! Thank you, Charles.

4 hours ago, Bainford said:

Looking great. Your textures and weathering is spot on. Nice work. 

Thank you, Trevor. I hope to succeed at the endeavor I set out on. That's my focus, on this project--that, and shading and highlighting.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got enough guts to really get into the finish on this engine. After applying the basecoat of Krylon Chalky Finish grey (reminds me of Hot Rod Primer), I began applying ground pastels and Dullcote in different areas, until I achieved a finish I liked. I used a mixture of Permasol Black and Raw Umber with some linseed oil, to apply "oil" to areas indicated by reference photos. I used heavy thread for the plug wires. I wanted to mimic cloth insulated wires. Given a mulligan, I would simply use small diameter wire. There's still a bit of paint work to be done, and some touch-up to do. I'll take it, for a first effort. As always; questions comments and critiques are welcome! Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

15 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Throw a little "oil" around the pan as if it dripped down and around the cover.  Great weathering job! it looks old and just as if you did a power wash on it!

Thank you, Charles. I'll get some oil dripping from the pan rail. I debated doing that, and just kind of said, "Nah!", but, I think I knew I should. Based on your input, I will do that!

13 hours ago, Warren D said:

You have a great talent for weathering, looks very realistic!

Thanks, Warren! I've done small bits of weathering, before, but, this is my first try at an entire model. Feedback looks to be pretty positive, so far. 🙂

11 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

Fantastic looking work so far.

Thank you all, Brian, Brian and Eric. It's much appreciated!

11 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Looking very realistic. This could pass for the real thing. Just for fun try using your computers color adjustment settings and change everything to black and white.

Thanks, Tom. I'll have to try that, once I get it finished! That should be fun.

Thanks to all for looking, and for commenting. It is greatly appreciated.

22 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Throw a little "oil" around the pan as if it dripped down and around the cover.  Great weathering job! it looks old and just as if you did a power wash on it!

Charles, here's the added oil. I hope it's not overdone. It sure looks like oil!

DSC_0012cr.jpg.c8f7da3f873fbda3972f22cb63b8a64d.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg.49591b509c32b993d2cea55ade37c8af.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg.b42a5b1e15bc4eb351ef1bfd179fc527.jpg

As you have likely noticed, the engine is installed in the chassis, now, as well.

DSC_0003cr.jpg.9332cd4f22ff548ba7d7ff5f619768c1.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg.9dcf51a2fa988ceca1e018d76444125f.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg.bc41c256aa933690518bb9446c1dec13.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg.7b3900540e8a8b4eb1ae479352af765d.jpg

DSC_0030cr.jpg.4029bd2d8f32fd91c9f7f2c6575c1cbd.jpg

DSC_0032cr.jpg.6e1ae96725dd1727304e23280dc43e85.jpg

As always, critiques, comments and questions are welcome! Thanks for looking!