Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1926 Mack

I got the radiator and hood painted and mounted. I cut up some dollhouse strap hinges to replace the cheesy molded-on hinge setup. I mounted them using model RR rivets. They're not prototypical, but they're closer to it. The Motometer in this kit is really pretty! As always, questions comments suggestions, etc., are welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

3 hours ago, doorsovdoon said:

What a stunning looking build, outstanding work!

Thank you, Gareth. With any luck, I should have the assembly done, by morning (my bedtime, being a night worker), and be down to touch up, and final, overall and spot weathering. It's really getting there!

7 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Great work Daniel, I love the working hood and hinges!  These are the kinds of features that make a model stand out and always astonish those who look at it.

Thanks, my friend! I always appreciate those little things, on models: those little things that just keep catching your eye as you look! A flashy paint job? Cool! For a minute. Neat little details? Hours of enjoyment! 😃

I have the windshield finished and installed. I made  new glass from some .010" K&S clear sheet. I did some preliminary work on the headlights, as well. Assembly really should be finished in the next day or so! Then, it's on to finishing up weathering. Then, into the display case, she goes!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

It is, as Ricky from  Trailer Park Boys would say, "For all intensive purposes", done! I will still add the tool box to the step, but, that isn't critical. I was/am debating adding the "high bumper". I forgot to open the holes for it, but, that should still be a doable proposition. I need to either decant some of the Krylon spray I used to paint it, or mix some oils, to do some drybrushing, and to touch up some spots. Still final/overall weathering to do, as well. I haven't pastelled the roof, yet, because I like the idea of the canvas overlay, but haven't found photos to be sure it's done as I theorize. I am still finalizing the livery. So far, I'm pretty happy with it! Next photos will be "Under Glass". Comments, critiques and questions are always welcome. Thanks for looking!...Dan

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

8 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

This is really a great job Daniel!

I was just wondering if this truck model had front lights and I have my answer!  It is now about to be completed and amazing build quality!  We always want more so I can't wait to see your next project.  For now, let's let this one get its well deserved praise! 😊

Thank you, Francis. I'm pretty happy with it, so far. I might have even decided on the lettering!😁 I managed to get the high bumper installed. Now, I'm working on  the tool box that mounts to the step. I really hope to get it completely finished, before bedtime, in the morning!

2 hours ago, gatorincebu said:

Wow ! Fantastic work on this one. lots of nice detailing . I like it !

Be Well

Gator

Thanks so much, Gator! I thought my next photo post would be in "Under Glass", but, I like the  bumper enough to post that, and the toolbox, which is about to be weathered, prior to installation. These literally are the final parts that are going on the model. Next, I will layout and print the decals, and apply them. After that, only final touchup, weathering and stray detail paint is all that will be left! Thanks for looking!

2_5cr.jpg

2_7cr.jpg

2_11cr.jpg

2_13cr.jpg

2_17cr.jpg

2_20cr.jpg

On 4/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, Straightliner59 said:

It is, as Ricky from  Trailer Park Boys would say, "For all intensive purposes", done! I will still add the tool box to the step, but, that isn't critical. I was/am debating adding the "high bumper". I forgot to open the holes for it, but, that should still be a doable proposition. I need to either decant some of the Krylon spray I used to paint it, or mix some oils, to do some drybrushing, and to touch up some spots. Still final/overall weathering to do, as well. I haven't pastelled the roof, yet, because I like the idea of the canvas overlay, but haven't found photos to be sure it's done as I theorize. I am still finalizing the livery. So far, I'm pretty happy with it! Next photos will be "Under Glass". Comments, critiques and questions are always welcome. Thanks for looking!...Dan

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0017cr.jpg

DSC_0025cr.jpg

DSC_0031cr.jpg

For your canvas roof overlay you might want to check those done by Bill Borgen. I have seen some he has used very thin black paper as a top layer on. It looks very accurate when done correctly. I would practice on another piece first but that might be an solution for you.

On 4/23/2021 at 9:57 AM, misterNNL said:

For your canvas roof overlay you might want to check those done by Bill Borgen. I have seen some he has used very thin black paper as a top layer on. It looks very accurate when done correctly. I would practice on another piece first but that might be an solution for you.

Thank you, Tom. I will give that a look, next time I need to do one. I am finished with this  one! I guess I'd better say that--It won best 20s-40s Vehicle, at a contest, Saturday!

3 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Believe it or not, masking tape works for a canvas roof.  I have some wide painters tape that I used on a couple of projects.  After painting it with some flat black and doing a bit of weathering, the texture looks just right.  At least it does to me.

I'll keep that in mind, as well, Charles. Thank you, sir!

5 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Thank you, Tom. I will give that a look, next time I need to do one. I am finished with this  one! I guess I'd better say that--It won best 20s-40s Vehicle, at a contest, Saturday!

I'll keep that in mind, as well, Charles. Thank you, sir!

Congratulations on the contest win. Nothing like a little gold from your peers to validate your building skills are appreciated by others.

1 hour ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Congratulations Daniel!  It is certainly well deserved my friend, this truck is simply fantastic!  You are very lucky to still have contests in your area... was it virtual or in person?

This was actually in person. They're opening things back up, more and more. It was enjoyable to visit with other modelers! I think there were about 185 model entries. Thank you for you kind words, my friend! I also won best engine for my old Chevy II AWB car.