Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Rod Lincoln

foghorn62

44 minutes ago, mrm said:

This is definitely an exceptional build, but I don't understand the Lincoln connection. This is like no Lincoln I have ever seen. 

Thank you Michael!  The background on this build is that I was looking to build something around a 3D printed Lincoln Zephyr V12 Flathead with Ardun heads, that I got from Ron Olsen through Shapeways.  I had this engine, and I wanted to build a period inspired hot rod around it.  The engine is a fantasy, since Ardun never made heads for the V12, so I thought I’d build a fantasy hot rod around it, starting with a boat tail, and seeing where it would go from there.  I’ve been working on it off and on for about two years now, and what you see is where it has come to now.

Edited by foghorn62

9 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Thank you so much Claude!  What is it about you folks from north of the border that makes you so gracious?  Your own talent speaks for itself, yet you always freely share your encouragement with those among us that dream to rise to your level.  Once again, thank you!

TS

ps.  Here is another shot, after a little more work on the front fender.

47181F35-EB10-44E9-AAEA-BA76A9B3DE53.jpeg

Hi Tim!

It is now certain: you WERE a master coachbuilder in a previous life. Case in point? The lower sweep of your front fender is a PERFECT MATCH for the sweep of the exhaust pipes! (see pic above). It doesn't come any more perfect than that! 

Regards,

CT 

12 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

It is now certain: you WERE a master coachbuilder in a previous life. Case in point? The lower sweep of your front fender is a PERFECT MATCH for the sweep of the exhaust pipes! (see pic above). It doesn't come any more perfect than that! 

Regards,

CT 

Well, perfection is always worth striving for, but I am far from there yet!  You eastern Canadians set a very high bar indeed!.  One that I can only dream of reaching some day.  I once told a mutual friend of ours, that I am proud to be able to join in your parade, even if I am only the clown on the tricycle handing out candy to the kids, while you guys lead the band!

TCOTT

13 hours ago, David G. said:

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I continue to enjoy the amazing work you're doing Tim. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

David G.

Thanks for stopping in David, and your kind words!  I am happy to share my work with anyone that would like to see it.

1 minute ago, foghorn62 said:

Well, perfection is always worth striving for, but I am far from there yet!  You eastern Canadians set a very high bar indeed!.  One that I can only dream of reaching some day.  I once told a mutual friend of ours, that I am proud to be able to join in your parade, even if I am only the clown on the tricycle handing out candy to the kids, while you guys lead the band!

TCOTT

Hi Tim!

Well, I will gladly direct your compliments to my friend Francis Laflamme, whose Dodge pickup build-up we have all watched in awe. Now, THIS is perfection.

Me, I'm just your average styrene junkie, wit too much time on my hands. Same hobby, different levels. And don't get me started on brass: I would not know where to begin! 

Truth be told, this is indeed the vast variety of interests and techniques displayed on this forum that make it so interesting. 

Hours of fun with styrene... and brass!

CT 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

Well, I will gladly direct your compliments to my friend Francis Laflamme, whose Dodge pickup build-up we have all watched in awe. Now, THIS is perfection.

Me, I'm just your average styrene junkie, wit too much time on my hands. Same hobby, different levels. And don't get me started on brass: I would not know where to begin! 

Truth be told, this is indeed the vast variety of interests and techniques displayed on this forum that make it so interesting. 

CT 

Don’t sell yourself CT.  Your own creativity and attention to detail speaks volumes, regardless of choice of material!  I do agree though, that this forum is a great place to showcase the many phenomenally talented people and skills that combine to make this hobby so interesting.

As you said, “Hours of fun with styrene... and brass!”.

TCOTT

On 12/13/2021 at 8:47 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Tim!

CT 

On 12/14/2021 at 6:54 AM, foghorn62 said:

Don’t sell yourself CT.  Your own creativity and attention to detail speaks volumes, regardless of choice of material!  I do agree though, that this forum is a great place to showcase the many phenomenally talented people and skills that combine to make this hobby so interesting.

As you said, “Hours of fun with styrene... and brass!”.

TCOTT

Sorry to intrude on the discussion, but perfection is not of this world but I would like to add that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I would also like to add: ... Hours of fun with styrene... and brass AND good mates!!!

This community would have no reason to exist without the contribution of passionate people like you and all those who support their colleagues and take the time to bring their knowledge on the countless topics discussed on this forum! 😍

Thanks for that, Francis

• Like 1

Just now, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Sorry to intrude on the discussion, but perfection is not of this world but I would like to add that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I would also like to add: ... Hours of fun with styrene... and brass AND good mates!!!

This community would have no reason to exist without the contribution of passionate people like you and all those who support their colleagues and take the time to bring their knowledge on the countless topics discussed on this forum! 😍

Thanks for that, Francis

Amen!

CT

Well, in spite of all of the high compliments, I have decided to nix the swept back front fenders, in favor of a simple pair of bike fenders.  I didn’t like the way the swept fenders were hiding the engine, and I was afraid the appearance was getting too soft.  From the beginning, this build was meant to be kind of an in your face lightweight speedster, highlighting the Ardun headed Lincoln V-12.  I also added a little windshield for mock up.  Ultimately it would have a small metal frame of some sort.

TSBBFA7D32-C4B1-4811-8B4A-B1A63AD8478B.thumb.jpeg.8a5cd1ae285f1c4945a2d58a9076fb42.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, foghorn62 said:

Well, in spite of all of the high compliments, I have decided to nix the swept back front fenders, in favor of a simple pair of bike fenders.  I didn’t like the way the swept fenders were hiding the engine, and I was afraid the appearance was getting too soft.  From the beginning, this build was meant to be kind of an in your face lightweight speedster, highlighting the Ardun headed Lincoln V-12.  I also added a little windshield for mock up.  Ultimately it would have a small metal frame of some sort.

TSBBFA7D32-C4B1-4811-8B4A-B1A63AD8478B.thumb.jpeg.8a5cd1ae285f1c4945a2d58a9076fb42.jpeg

Hi Tim! 

As much as I adored the loooooooooong fender, you are right that this unit is more in line with racing duties.

What was the famous motto: "weight is the enemy of racers"?

Keep hammering away!

CT 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:50 PM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for that, Francis

You are correct Francis.  Perfection is not achievable, but there are a few who come a whole lot closer than most of us 😉.  I also totally agree, that good friends offering advice, assistance, sharing knowledge, encouragement, and occasional humor make this hobby fun!  Thanks for that yourself!

TCOTT 

Well Tim, I think you are right on target (I'm not sure if it's the right expression but you should see what I mean...)!

These small bike fenders are exactly in line with your goal to show the engine and they are very cool with a more "racing" look.

You have great taste and great skills my friend!!! 😍

5 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

It looks sweet,since I will have a extra Monogram V12 I am going to stuff it in a Monogram 34 coupe.  Mine is going to be a sleeper and will not be able to tell its in there from the outside.

You can’t have too many cylinders!  The guy that I got this engine from does some other interesting things in 3D.  I have three V-12 LS3s that I want to build something around.  He also has a mating plate to mount two LS motors side by side.  Can you say W24?  Here is a pic of the setup using two V-8s, substitute two V-12s, and you can catch my drift.

07D90C1D-AF0C-41DC-A91D-98375D40ABA9.jpeg

Edited by foghorn62

2 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Well Tim, I think you are right on target (I'm not sure if it's the right expression but you should see what I mean...)!

These small bike fenders are exactly in line with your goal to show the engine and they are very cool with a more "racing" look.

You have great taste and great skills my friend!!! 😍

Thank you again Francis!  It would be a real shame to hide those beautiful valve covers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made up some headlight buckets.  These are my attempt at Woodlite style headlights, as suggested by Mike Cassidy.  I still need to make lenses, but I really like the way they look.  Each bucket has four separate parts, not including lenses.  The shells are soldered together, and then filed and sanded to shape.  The fenders are roughed in, and I still need to do mounting brackets for them.  I want to mount the front fenders to the brake backs so they will turn directionally along with the front wheels.  Also up soon will be a frame for the windshield.  The hand strung wire wheel on the left rear is an example of the type of wheel that I intend to use.  I do not intend to use a lot of shiny chrome in this.  It is meant to be a speedster that has a few laps in it.

A92C92F5-BC8A-4306-858B-1D636002DD88.jpeg

62F7BA71-98C9-4177-BA2B-836BE0482262.jpeg

207FD721-AC32-4526-8A17-5EEE9482AEA3.jpeg

7 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

... my attempt at Woodlite style headlights ... I really like the way they look.  ....

Ditto, liked the appearance of 'em ever since I first saw 'em in magazine photos of the very uncommon Ruxton cars - here's my post at a different thread about the 24th scale ones that were in a couple of MPC showrod kits:

32 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

The headlight buckets are superb Tim and are at the same time aerodynamic, which is not a bad thing for a speedster! 😁

Thank you Francis!  Today I added a windshield frame.  Let me know what you think.

TS