Model Cars Magazine Forum

how to redo the Grille of the Revell 06 Mustang GT

Ok So you have the Revell 06 Mustang GT but you want to do something a bit different to it. One simple idea is to redo the grille. All ove these forums we see GTs sporting the stock grille.

S7301737.jpg

Ok not bad, but we can make this better. We can do a Base style grill or even go as far as making a V6 Pony Package grille for our cars. Lets get started

First you want to remove the entire molded mesh area, foglights and the Running Pony leaving only the surround using the method you prefer to remove items

S7301739.jpg

Depending on the style your going for you may want to keep the pony emblem.

S7301740.jpg

Ok we have the grille out and we are left with a rough but intact Grille surround

S7301741.jpg

Now you want to CAREFULLY clean up the surround to remove any remaining junk left over from cutting out the grill

S7301742.jpg

Now that we have the surround cleaned up we have to modify it a bit so it will still fit properly in the opening on the front bumper. We need to remove some of the backside of the surround so when we attach the mesh it all still fits the car.

S7301743.jpg

I cut mine down enough to remove all the area where the old grille was. Now be careful you have a very fragile piece in your hands now and one slip and you'll be hunting a new grille.

S7301744.jpg

Now for the new grille I used leftover grille mesh from a tamiya kit, but you can use material of your choice here to achieve the desired look

S7301745.jpg

Lay the surround out on your mesh so you can get a general idea of the size piece you will need to cut. Here's where I changed a bit. To get a Correct stock look you need to lay the mesh at an angle to achieve a diamond pattern. I forgot this on my first one but ended up pleased with it anyway and due to lack of material I am showing it done laid straight.

S7301746.jpg

Using the glue of your choice apply glue to the back of the surround and attach the mesh. I used Gel Superglue because it sets fast and is my standard glue.

S7301747.jpg

Now we need to trim the edges of the mesh down to size.

S7301748.jpg

I have found that after all the mods the surround seems not to want to fit and the mesh wants to get wavy. To solve this simply Sand the outer edges of the grille surround until it fits the car again.

S7301750.jpg

Once you have it fitting all that's needed is a light coat of flat black paint to cover the marks of reworking it.

S7301749.jpg

After paint you now have a new grille for your car. At this point it is up to you what to do. Leave it blank for the Bullitt look ?? Maybe add a lone pony in the center ?? Or do as I have done and use an AMT 67 Grille bar to create the Pony Package grille.

S7301751.jpg

S7301738.jpg

See how much a difference this makes to the cars look?? We can change the cars whole attitude in just a few hours time.

Stay tuned here I'll be using a few more tricks I've been told of or come up with to help you improve the current run of Revell Mustangs.

I understand, what you are trying to do here. And your finished product looks great.

But why destroy the kit piece, to make it?

If all you really need is the surround, can't that be made easyier,

from strip styrene that has been bent and shaped?

Just a thought.

I understand, what you are trying to do here. And your finished product looks great.

But why destroy the kit piece, to make it?

If all you really need is the surround, can't that be made easyier,

from strip styrene that has been bent and shaped?

Just a thought.

I totally understand your thought there and making a new surround would work But I'm all for using what I have And to be honest I never planned on using the stock grille to begin with cause I actually hate how it looks lol. so destroying it really didn't matter to me, and it's not like I'll plan to return the car to stock ever

Great tip! The same basic trick can work on other models as well.

Another tip to improve the front of these Mustangs is to take a black Sharpie and carefully go around the edges of the headlight covers; when you attach them to the model the halo from the thick (much thicker than 1:1 in scale) clear plastic pretty much disappears. The blacked edges also help hide the glue joint.

My 2 cents: I'd also replace the mesh in the lower valence to match whatever mesh you use in the grille opening. :rolleyes:

Good point Harry tho I may point out if you do go through replacing the Grilles in the lower bumper to match the upper be sure to place them over a piece of flat sheet to keep them closed up. The lower grilles are actually molded closed on the real ones so "Opening" them for realism actually would take away a bit. As I said I'd attach the matching mesh to a flat piece cut to fit then sray it all to match the upper

• 4 years later...