Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ebay stops using paypal ??

cobraman

Right now I still have Paypal with ebay, although I expect that to change....so it is the same old way for a person like myself with Paypal, it goes immediately into my account.

This may not last long however.  And when they force me to change, I am out, as the fees go from 10% to 12.5 percent....

Edited to understand PP now takes 3% versus the additional 2.5% over the 10 that ebay takes according to anoter poster above.  And I wasted a lot of time last weekend reading this stuff.....I haven't sold much on ebay until just lately and things sure seem to have gotten expensive...Jeez.

Edited by steveracer

Not sure if this has any thing to do with what Ray has mentioned but the other day I got this email , supposed to be from Paypal...but for some reason it didnt look right. The first thing is the font is wrong and after getting Paypal statements for years-it should say 'service @' not-services @ ..Plural . The title of the email said my Paypal account has been locked , then when I opened the email it said my account was 'limited' so I had to go on eBay and buy a model kit just to check....my account is fine and dandy

M1VJlE5.jpg

see what the receipent is

ut3p7q4.jpg

the email looks real and wanted me to 'log in' and enter my info. to====='re secure my account'

I get those "PayPal" emails from time to time.  Actually your screen shot shows another important clue.It shows the cursor hovering over the supposed PayPal email address, and the little popup window shows a bogus email address ending in 2la.com.  That is a clear indication of a Phishing email.  If you were to hover your mouse over the Login button, it would likely also have shown you that the button directs you to a non-PayPal address.  Browsers have features like that built-in to help you in spotting spoofs and scams.

Also, there is no need to actually buy something to verify your PayPal account (although that is a good excuse to do it).  Simply login into your PayPal account by going to paypal.com directly in your browser (not by clicking any email links).  If there was a problem, you would have been notified after you logged in.

Edited by peteski

9 hours ago, peteski said:

So how does this work when the seller still accepts PayPal? Does PayPal sent the payment for an auction to that eBay Managed Payment account, then to seller's bank?  Or when seller still accepts PayPal, the payment is then totally handled by PayPal?

The way I understand it, Instead of the seller directly receiving PayPal payments and using PayPal to print their address/postage label,  the PayPal payment goes to the eBay Managed Payment account then to the sellers bank, and the seller uses the eBay Managed Payment system to print the label/postage... so eBay is more a middle man than before as far as payments.   Using eBay Managed Payments is now mandatory for sellers is my understanding. 

47 minutes ago, Len Woodruff said:

Thanks for the posts guys. I see on eBay regularly. The problem is that I don't see a better place to see models than the 'bay.

Has anyone had success on other places?

I can't think of another service that has the vast reach and # of potential customers as eBay.  I know some sell on Amazon as an Amazon seller...but never bought a used kit on Amazon.  I think of Amazon as a place to source new stuff, not sure how effective it would be for selling kits. 

when buying on ebay, i noticed that when i pay with paypal, it takes a bit and says payment to ebay. after a little bit, it shows as paid. it used to be instant, but now its delayed, sometimes by as much as an hour

Edited by youpey

• 4 weeks later...

eBay is trying to force sellers into using their new "managed payments". eBay is saying that if you do not choose to use MP, that the viewability of items you have for sale will be limited. The buyers may use PayPal to pay, but the payment goes to eBay, where it is then sent to the seller's bank account. Where in the past, I would sell something on eBay, the buyer would use PayPal, and I would have my funds within minutes of the payment being made. Now, the buyer pays, lets say on the 23rd, and eBay finally gets around to sending it to my bank 4 days later. My bank, who also believes in the policy of using the float, finally posts it to my account a days later. And my money is working it's tail off making money for eBay and my bank. All the while, eBay sends me a note, saying the item has been paid for so I should ship it on the 23rd. Seems to me that the item is MINE, but eBay has the funds on the 23rd, not me. So..............I have adjusted all of my auctions to reflect a five day handling period after payment. This allows me to retain possession of MY item until I receive MY funds. What it also does is upset my buyers as to why they have to wait so long to get the item they paid promptly for. I tell them exactly why. Perhaps if the buyers complain to eBay about this, they may fix it. Lord knows eBay does not care about the sellers, or they would not be charging a Final Value Fee on shipping charges AND sales tax collected by......................eBay, and sitting on the funds that belong to the SELLERS for so long to squeeze even more out of the seller's pockets. eBay = greed.