Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Subaru Impreza (not WRC but Cannonball Ruse) with Hobby Design engine

The very fine mesh went into the Auto Union C too. 😁

Used the cordless drill to turn clear sprue into water bottles, polished up with Novus.  Wasn't concerned with exact duplicates, since there are so many brands out there.
IMG_1094.thumb.jpg.c5a3251ec174c214a90a7d1beb85b8f7.jpg

The radiator hose clamp is Detail Master, the one for the intake pipe came with the engine.  There are some super fine clamps that came with the engine, but the instructions don't show them, crazy detail that only secret club members know about.  🙄
IMG_1095.thumb.jpg.5959e89ebc918b584081d204974867c4.jpg

Got the paper details printed.  I made tiny wood blocks to glue the kit boxes onto.  Used the cordless drill, along with the sanding drum attachment on the Dremel to turn a dowel from Maple, for the cans.  The license plate is glued with Testors canopy glue to aluminum plate.  Polished, and painted the Subaru emblem on the Scale Motorsport fret.  The kit logo decal was put on the trunk, the race car doesn't have that.
IMG_1096.thumb.jpg.55ff977dbb4504f5e13ae33ede35f78b.jpg
IMG_1097.thumb.jpg.44d179dbc7b5fc6a889952317750363a.jpg

Going to make more Monster cans, and throw in the back.

16 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Great job on the harness's, cooler, cup holder, water bottles, monster cans and how cool you scaled down the kit box and aftermarket engine box.

Amazing how much detail and work you have put into this build. Well done Kurt.

Well thank you!

14 hours ago, Pete75 said:

LOL! Love the bottles & cans - ingenuious. And the 1/24 1/24 kit boxes! Safe to say you've travelled the extra mile😄. Is it a particular kind of paper you print onto, or just regular?

Thanks!  The paper is a glossy but thin paper, there is a cover paper that has the same fine gloss.  The shop I get copies at has a good selection.

3 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

Lovin the monster cases Kurt

Great detailing!

Thank you!

These participants are going to be so jacked up! 😳  Made more cans to litter the back with.  Also made a garbage bag.
IMG_1102.thumb.jpg.73cb75b9bd00f36de54749081e48b053.jpg
IMG_1103.thumb.jpg.85a20aaf3bf140f82a6f416b9a53abb2.jpg
IMG_1104.thumb.jpg.f02bbaa4be90b07a251b1e909b97390e.jpg

With the tinted windows, none of this will be easily seen.
Took the brake disks off, since I kept catching one of them, and they didn't sit down all the way.  Will use the Dremel with diamond bit to open those up a little, and also glue in after the weathering.  Stuck the tiny AP logos on (arrows).  Another thing to eliminate daylight through the interior, black paper panels are added (arrow).
IMG_1105.thumb.jpg.7254dddeb7912e8b645382c29a33835c.jpg

Have one more interior junk detail to add before buttoning up.

16 hours ago, Venom said:

This is awesome Kurt... and a great sense of humor displayed in your work as well. Very entertaining!

Just a thought.... Have you thought about some randomly slapped on stickers for the cooler? 

Glad you see that.   Have not, I didn't "weather" it for a reason.

Blew off work so I could finish this.  Added a roll of paper towels inside, before putting the halves together.  Then I weathered it, like it's been through some rain, using Testors Dullcote mixed with various ratios of Afrika Korps sand and grey.   Then I tried to fix the photo-etch brake disks, and also rubbed in a circular motion on fine sandpaper to get a proper look.

IMG_1106.thumb.jpg.202b00a5911af25d8bc2360588bb5b1f.jpg

Then the wheels were put on.

DONE!

Started on 1/3/21, finished on 2/3/21, 125 hours.  For everyone else doing the Cannonball Ruse who is going to tint the windows so the roll cage doesn't show up, don't bother adding stuff to the interior, it was just dumb to spend so much effort.  Have many left over parts, the rally lights will be cool on something, and have a bunch of decals, and some nice but worthless for other cars photo-etch.  Took a bunch of last day on the bench pictures, glamor shots will be taken for the Under Glass.

IMG_1108.thumb.jpg.b8b1ab602d2b4f11f4460c8bb67767d9.jpg
IMG_1109.thumb.jpg.0b948228a7ad69e7fbe20e8f6a6a0886.jpg
IMG_1110.thumb.jpg.015f0b782651677239d6a8a69e15c542.jpg
IMG_1111.thumb.jpg.e17a41f59177a030ba5ac3cb476accae.jpg
IMG_1112.thumb.jpg.dc3a772020f47dad1aa21bc1824575c3.jpg
IMG_1113.thumb.jpg.cebe169b63f0b30624c84adf5440dddb.jpg
IMG_1114.thumb.jpg.7a5e4aa1dad4b89d30cc5c19e3d7a358.jpg
IMG_1115.thumb.jpg.9b4454c97b1a464b132b6cbeed8f716b.jpg
IMG_1116.thumb.jpg.2770e192fd7184f38021e88429c70f8a.jpg
IMG_1117.thumb.jpg.cf7c1006d8afa7cf3fa2a3ee649b379c.jpg
IMG_1118.thumb.jpg.6fdeca1a5f71a718cd2d118fffd5b32d.jpg

Great work! Bold to make it dirty! Looks cool. To bad about your details not showing since you have the tint. At least we know it’s there 😉 I have a similar issue. I will make the under bed area detailed since it looks really cool with the corvette rear end, but I am not sure how to display it. Folding rear canopy? Fabric folding canopy. Time will tell. 

8 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Great work! Bold to make it dirty! Looks cool. To bad about your details not showing since you have the tint. At least we know it’s there 😉 I have a similar issue. I will make the under bed area detailed since it looks really cool with the corvette rear end, but I am not sure how to display it. Folding rear canopy? Fabric folding canopy. Time will tell. 

Thank you.  I've seen street rod pickups with the bed floor raised, and it lifts up so you can see the goodies (or is it for gas filler access?), thin cigar mahogany would be an idea for the floor.  There are fiberglass bed covers too, but put a kevlar decal on it.  Or have what Farmtruck has, a camper shell.  😳

7 hours ago, Venom said:

Very nice Kurt! Congrats on the finishing your build... Looking forward to those Under Glass picks.

Thank you, and thanks for following too.  I need to figure out a bright light studio, all black sucks up the meager bench lighting.

6 hours ago, Pete75 said:

Congrats Kurt 👏 Don't think anyone will nail the brief with the same kind of creativity - all those add-ons must make her a prime contender!

The fact you are also using a rally car is a great start.  Everyone has 11 months to outdo me.  🤨

Hi Kurt, this was really fun to watch coming together. So many creative ideas, I will be looking back on this one a few times. The Monster cans are over the top!! Very inspiring, thanks for sharing all of the details with us. I started working on my hood prop last night for my Ol Comino project. Not something that would be factory correct on a 60’s muscle car, but I generally display my cars with hood open so I’m going with it. Great stuff!!

Cheers, Steve

4 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Kurt, this was really fun to watch coming together. So many creative ideas, I will be looking back on this one a few times. The Monster cans are over the top!! Very inspiring, thanks for sharing all of the details with us. I started working on my hood prop last night for my Ol Comino project. Not something that would be factory correct on a 60’s muscle car, but I generally display my cars with hood open so I’m going with it. Great stuff!!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for lurking!  It's just a pet peeve of mine, some do awesome details on an engine, and then have the hood without hood pins sitting on the table, or use a ratty broomstick (toothpick) as a prop.  I like your Olds Comino, you could throw a bunch of cans in the bed.  😉
The only Olds I've built:

Lynx Lake photoshop.jpg

Wow!  just read all 4 pages of the WIP thread and I can see now there is way more here than meets eye... this build is really spectacular for one that seemed "at first glance" simple and straightforward!  I'm impressed! Nice details on that interior. I'd drive cross country in that for sure!

6 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Wow!  just read all 4 pages of the WIP thread and I can see now there is way more here than meets eye... this build is really spectacular for one that seemed "at first glance" simple and straightforward!  I'm impressed! Nice details on that interior. I'd drive cross country in that for sure!

Yea, just stick an engine in there, how hard can that be?  😅  Thank you for the comment.

16 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Thank you.  I've seen street rod pickups with the bed floor raised, and it lifts up so you can see the goodies (or is it for gas filler access?), thin cigar mahogany would be an idea for the floor.  There are fiberglass bed covers too, but put a kevlar decal on it.  Or have what Farmtruck has, a camper shell.  😳

I was thinking of a folding one or a hinged one but will need magnets and alot of fabing.. we will se what i come up with ;)