Model Cars Magazine Forum

No idea what I am doing

ABNSPR

So I am new to the whole forum thing. I don't have any social media pages and pretty much avoid online interaction. My question (a rather dumb one) is how do I respond directly to others in posts? I reply, but all of my replies get jumbled up at the bottom of the page and I don't want to offend anybody who might think that I am not responding to them. Please help a newbie out.

1 hour ago, ABNSPR said:

So I am new to the whole forum thing. I don't have any social media pages and pretty much avoid online interaction. My question (a rather dumb one) is how do I respond directly to others in posts? I reply, but all of my replies get jumbled up at the bottom of the page and I don't want to offend anybody who might think that I am not responding to them. Please help a newbie out.

I'm not sure, but I think you are asking how  to reply to a specific post in a thread, rather than just adding your reply at the end of the thread.

Simplest way is to just click on the "Quote" link on the bottom left of the post you are replying to.  That will quote the text of the post you are replying and place it in the window on the bottom where you are typing in your reply. 

That is how I replied to your post: I clicked on the "Quote" link on the lower left of your post and as you see above, it quoted what you wrote.

28 minutes ago, peteski said:

I'm not sure, but I think you are asking how  to reply to a specific post in a thread, rather than just adding your reply at the end of the thread.

Simplest way is to just click on the "Quote" link on the bottom left of the post you are replying to.  That will quote the text of the post you are replying and place it in the window on the bottom where you are typing in your reply. 

That is how I replied to your post: I clicked on the "Quote" link on the lower left of your post and as you see above, it quoted what you wrote.

Thank you. That is what I was asking and have been doing, but all my replies just bunch up at the bottom of the post.

10 hours ago, ABNSPR said:

Thank you. That is what I was asking and have been doing, but all my replies just bunch up at the bottom of the post.

J.D. Your reply to mine looks normal (as I woudl expect any reply to look like).  I'm not sure what you are asking for then.

Or you are asking how to spread your reply within the post you quoted?  I don't think that is possible unless you quote the original post in chunks.  That would be a bit of a pain to do, and not many people do that.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:14 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Are you typing your response as a new line below the quote box?

Yes Sir. I guess I just had an unrealistic expectation due to seeing other posts where it appeared that peoples responses were directly beneath the person they were responding to.

16 hours ago, peteski said:

J.D. Your reply to mine looks normal (as I woudl expect any reply to look like).  I'm not sure what you are asking for then.

Or you are asking how to spread your reply within the post you quoted?  I don't think that is possible unless you quote the original post in chunks.  That would be a bit of a pain to do, and not many people do that.

Yes sir. I had viewed a few posts that this was the case and I guess those folks were responding as people were posting to them. Thank you for squaring me away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 2:37 AM, ABNSPR said:

Thank you Sir.

On 1/5/2021 at 5:33 PM, Xingu said:

Posts are shown in the order they are received. You can also click the + sign to multi quote, which can be used to respond to several different posts in a single post.

Cool, I just did the + sign thing for the first time, but I think it came out reversed in sequence.

*One question I have is, if you quote a text and then change your mind, what is the best/fastest way to get back to where you were before?

In the edit pane you can click just above the quoted text window to delete it completely. You can use your mouse and position the cursor just about anywhere in the edit pane.

58 minutes ago, Venom said:

Cool, I just did the + sign thing for the first time, but I think it came out reversed in sequence.

*One question I have is, if you quote a text and then change your mind, what is the best/fastest way to get back to where you were before?

You can also click inside the quoted text window and type your response, but we would rather folks did NOT do that.

You can also click inside the quoted text window and delete photos that are not needed for your reply. We DO recommend folks to do that.Then we do not see the same 10 photos over and over in everyone's reply.

You can also click just below the quoted text window and type your response there. (See the end of the quoted text above, in case you missed it)