Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help with a Chrysler Paint color

Hey all,

My internet searching has turned up zilch on finding this color.  I'm building the Moebius Chrysler 300 for a friend at work and he sent me this paint chip/code that it is painted in. I can't pull the picture of the chip from my phone, but here is the pertinent information

1955 Heron Blue

60-7119 (Lac.)

90-3110 (Syn.)

on the left of the chip are the following codes

U.303

L.303

INS.304

Any help would be appreciated

From what I'm reading "blue heron" and "green falcon" weren't colors but option packages ,,, can that be right?

"Later in the model year another Newport was offered, with slightly modified trim borrowed from the 1955 New Yorker St. Regis. Depending upon the color ordered, these late versions were named "Green Falcon" or "Blue Heron" and came in 2 and 4-door versions. The 4-door sedans used the same trim package as the 2-door Newport."

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990549376637/1955_Chrysler_Info_1B.pdf

The article dosen't say what exact shade of blue they were but the one pictured above looks like "stardust blue"  and I see another one on the net that looks like either "glacier blue" or "turquoise" and the ones in the ads below look like "Mediterranean blue" and "surf green" poly, which are metallic colors.

1956-chrysler-pg01.jpg?7563

3823674559 b0f0b6634e b

3824471748 5921d72f9b b

Edited by Can-Con

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, it's appreciated very much.

From the pics he sent me, its definitely more of a blue than a turquoise shade. 

I'll do some more digging and see what I can come up with.  I'll look into paints that come close to it and if i can't do that, well then I'm probably going to try and eyeball the mix as best as I can!

Hi Aron!

If you refer to the chips samples above, once you find the colour you want, give the numeric code next to the chip to your automotive paint house.

Back then, enamel was the norm, and lacquer was an option on some upscale models. Therefore, in our  era of base-coat/clear coat paints, your local shop will likely have to call the manufacturer (ex: PPG or Axalta) to CONVERT the code to a recipe that they can mix with their base colours. If they claim at the start "I can't do it", insist for the manager to call. Usually, they get the recipe from the manufacturer within 24 hours.  Most shops can also sell you  your mix in a spray can, made on the premises. 

Good luck!

CT 

2 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Real 300 ?

As far as I know.

They were only avail in 3 colors, Black, red and white

I was curious of that fact as well.

I initially questioned whether this was even a factory '55 color, but then realized that the OP had never stated whether the car, and subsequently the model, was a 300 or another model.

But you are correct Bill.

The 1955 C-300 was supposedly only available in "Black", "Platinum", (white) and "Tango Red".

But, apparently there were a very few limited examples of '55 Chrysler 300s painted in special order colors.

According to the "Chrysler 300 Club International" information that I found, the break down was as follows for '55.

1,177 cars were produced in "Platinum", 289 in "Black" and 247 in "Tango Red".

But, according to the club's information, 2 were produced in "Jade Green Poly" (code 13), 2 in "Desert Sand" (code 21), One in "Embassy Gray Poly", (code 17) and One in "Canyon Tan", (code 20)

There were 4 "mystery" cars of the 1,724 cars produced.

One is listed as an unspecified "special order" Code 99, which apparently was tan in color.

The other 3 were not listed, or lacked a code, so I suppose that there is a very thin possibility that one of them could have been painted in the "Heron Blue" specified by the OP.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

MCW still does special mix colors - if they have the formula. If you call them with the factory paint code they will let you know if they can mix it. Just had a few special colors mixed by them that are not in the catalog list. I've had them do real obscure stuff so they have a very comprehensive reference for formulas. From the material I have the Desoto's used 300 numbers for color codes but there is no 303.

Thanks again for the replies guys, very appreciated.

Steve and GTX, yeah I was curious about it too, as Moebius specifies in the instructions that it was only available in black, red and white. I'm not one to argue, his car is blue and is a dead ringer for the model kit.

I'll just build it and get it as close as possible to what the owner has.

I can't do much more than that!

Edit: Yeah, I was mistaken that he owns a 300, its definitely a 55 Windsor Deluxe. I can't seem to grasp that I can pinch and zoom on those photos to see things that are small. (My fault for that faux pas)

So...yeah. Batting a thousand in this new year ?‍♂️

Edited by lordorion1974

Well, just so you know, while the basic look of the Windsor is very close to the 300, the front end treatment is completely different, as well as the badging.

If your friend is not terribly picky, I suppose it will be close enough.

Windsor.

ia0709-82139_1.jpg?1307547002000

s-l1000.jpg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

HA!

I figured out how to take a screen shot off of my phone!  I do know how to operate some technology...

Here is the paint chip that he sent me, and a good picture of his Windsor.  I asked him where he got the paint chip from, but I haven't heard from him in a week about it so...whatever.

I'll just keep on modeling.

Screenshot_20210111-155451.png

Screenshot_20210111-155516.png

Edited by lordorion1974
Editing of photos

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, lordorion1974 said:

HA!

I figured out how to take a screen shot off of my phone!  I do know how to operate some technology...

Here is the paint chip that he sent me, and a good picture of his Windsor.  I asked him where he got the paint chip from, but I haven't heard from him in a week about it so...whatever.

I'll just keep on modeling.

Screenshot_20210111-155451.png

Screenshot_20210111-155516.png

Ah, I thought you were looking for the Spring Special package.

He didn't happen to tell you what manufacturer (i.e., DuPont, Acme-Rogers, Ditzler-PPG, etc.) those came from?

Charlie Larkin