Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa 1/48 Arado 234 "Blitz"

Ya know.......I had finished this last year and totally forgot that there's a separate forum for Finished "All The Rest" Builds. In any case.....here she is.

I started this kit over three years ago and ran into a lot of problematic areas with this kit. To say that this kit has now moved into #1 on my most difficult/ frustrating and sometimes angering build would simply be an understatement. It was so bad that I stepped away from aircraft building altogether for those 3 years. Some of it I brought on myself by making things more difficult than they needed to be and other areas were just plain ridiculous the way Hasegawa put this thing together. This kit is touted to be one of the best scale model representations of this iconic plane and on that point I'll agree once it's built. Getting there was the difficult part for me. Enough of that banter though. After 3 long years my Arado is finally completed:

Finished cockpit photo

In progress cockpit photo:

aaaaaaaaand engine shots:

Edited by mustang1989

Nice build! The cockpit area looks especially convincing. Sticking with it paid off!! I've got one or two of these in the stash, as well as a Hobby Craft version, but have yet to work them in to the rotation. I hope I can achieve your level of finish.

11 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Extremely nice, wonderful detail!

Thanks Larry! 

4 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Nice build! The cockpit area looks especially convincing. Sticking with it paid off!! I've got one or two of these in the stash, as well as a Hobby Craft version, but have yet to work them in to the rotation. I hope I can achieve your level of finish.

'Preciate it Rusty. I haven't heard all that much good about the Hobby Craft kits. Funny thing is that the Hasegawa version is touted to be the best offering out there .....BUT ....trying to get that whole nose section/ cockpit area mated to the fuselage cleanly proved to be a nightmare for me. It was the biggest obstacle I had with this build but with patience and perseverance it can be done. Watch for that area when you tackle yours. Test fit...test fit and some MORE test fit.

On 1/5/2021 at 7:22 AM, Dragline said:

Wow, I defer to you on aircraft my brother. That thing is beautiful. It took long enough but it was worth it.

Thanks Bob!! There were times that a last flight into the trash can was a definite option. lol 

Edited by mustang1989

• 4 months later...

Great job, especially the engine and that cockpit with the cable bundles and other details.  And with that plane, at least all your hard work is (very) visible.  Nothing like spending hours on the cockpit, to find that those details virtually disappear when you glue the fuselage together and add the canopy!

Recently in a thrift store, I found the book "Spyplane" by David Donald.  It's an illustrated history of spy and recon aircraft from WWI on.  It mentions the photo-recon version of the Arado Ar-234 and says it was a great success in that job.  Simply because it could out-climb and out-run any Allied piston-engined fighter.   

Edited by Mike999
goof

On 5/17/2021 at 8:30 AM, Mike999 said:

Great job, especially the engine and that cockpit with the cable bundles and other details.  And with that plane, at least all your hard work is (very) visible.  Nothing like spending hours on the cockpit, to find that those details virtually disappear when you glue the fuselage together and add the canopy!

Recently in a thrift store, I found the book "Spyplane" by David Donald.  It's an illustrated history of spy and recon aircraft from WWI on.  It mentions the photo-recon version of the Arado Ar-234 and says it was a great success in that job.  Simply because it could out-climb and out-run any Allied piston-engined fighter.   

Thanks Mike!! I hear ya on the cockpit or even engine details for that matter. lol. Been there and done that too many times. Builds like this or a He-111 or Ju-88 pay off in dividends in regards to cockpit/ interior detailing.

The 234 was indeed a highly successful aircraft for the time that it was employed (which wasn't all that long). 

Nicely done Joe.  Saw a real one at the Air & Space Museum just outside of Dulles Airport.  It's smaller in real life than what it appears to be in pics.  If you haven't that particular museum try to get there some day.  You won't be disappointed.   cheers, tim

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, plasticprime said:

The skill, craftsmanship, and patience required during the build are duly displayed in the finished model! Excellent job! What did you use for the rigging?

I really appreciate that very generous comment Benton! I used stretched sprue for the aerial antennas.

On 6/2/2021 at 4:58 PM, Codi said:

Nicely done Joe.  Saw a real one at the Air & Space Museum just outside of Dulles Airport.  It's smaller in real life than what it appears to be in pics.  If you haven't that particular museum try to get there some day.  You won't be disappointed.   cheers, tim

Thanks Tim! I've been wanting to go to that place. Get to see all the really cool stuff there.