Model Cars Magazine Forum

13 in Minilites For Lotus Super 7

14 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Fireball Modelworks also does a 13" four lug set with tires, separate lug nuts and center caps.

I bought a set of those from Chief not too long ago. They are REALLY nice!! But then again, all of Chiefs stuff is top notch, IMPO. ?

Might not be too easy to get for you, but the Hasegawa Nissan Sunny Truck has a nice set of 13" Minilites which aren't too wide, probably about 5" scale width. If I can get hold of another 7, or decide to rebuild mine from years ago, that's what I was thinking of using.

[Close]  Nissan Sunny Truck (GB121) Long Body Deluxe (Model Car) Contents2

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10289551

Looks like they come in at least one of the other issues of this kit.

Just remembered their Bluebird rally car also has some:

Nissan Bluebird 1600 SSS 1970 East African Safari Rally Winner (Model Car) Item picture2

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10010777

I've got examples of both of the above, I'll go and have a look and see what they're like. I'm not exactly local to you, but I could potentially spare a set.

Yeah, from looking at the set I had, the ones from Fireball are going to be a bit wider than that. I think your Idea would probably be a better fit for what your looking for.  But the Fireball items are still little gems to behold in person. 

Edited by bismarck

13 hours ago, Ralph Henderson said:

I have the recent re-issue of the full fendered "Super 7 Series II" with the narrow steel wheels..

I think these from motobitz is what I want..

mba24031_orig.jpg

They look good.

I spent a bit of time last night looking at what's left of my 7 and offering up various wheel/tyre combinations. The original tyres are narrow but quite tall in profile, somewhat old-fashioned looking and they do give the 7 quite a dated appearance.

A 13" wheel with a typical tyre like 175/70 or 185/70 will probably have a smaller overall diameter, that's what I found anyway. However, I believe 185/70s are used on the less insane Caterhams, so they'd look 'right'.

The best combination I found from my inventory was an obscure combination of the Sunny Truck wheel with a 175 wide tyre from a Tamiya kit, which give a similar look to what's in that photo.

As a result of having a look at it last night the rebuild of my 7 has moved up the list a bit......

Thanks for all the recommendations and comments.  I went ahead and got a set of the motobitz and a set of the fireballs on the way.  can't have too many wheels and tires..

of course right after I placed my orders it dawned on me the AMT Sunbeam has a set as well....now to find a Sunbeam at a decent price...