Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Ford T8000 Dump

I never have two projects going at the same time, so I will be starting this one after I finish the T800 Dump.

I will be using the cab conversion from Dan’s Models. This is the stock photo because I didn’t want to dig mine out of the closet just yet. The 800 series were gas the 8000 series were diesel. There was also the 950D and the 1000D that were diesel too, but I’m going to call this one a T8000 unless someone corrects me. The F series were single axle and the T series were  tandem. This one will be a T8000. The 1100 Cat and the 6v-53 Detroit were both available in the later versions of this body style. My goal is to make a 6v-53,  but I may just wind up using the Louisville 1100 Cat. Time will tell. The dump bed will be from the Louisville kit. Chassis will either be from the Louisville or the Diamond Reo kit.

BAAA1186-717B-4B32-82D6-67807149F367.jpeg.6f8172073c3f55b7c70fb70a6f2f993b.jpeg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Great to see you tackle this excellent resin offering from Dan Models. This was a very popular dump truck in its day.  I'll be watching this one closely. There were 2 more diesels available, the  Cummins straight 6  C160 or C180  and the Cummins V6E 195. This particular cab ( raised roof ) ran from mid '65 to '69,  was replaced by the Louisville in '70.

IMG_1066.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

2 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Great to see you tackle this excellent resin offering from Dan Models. This was a very popular dump truck in its day.  I'll be watching this one closely. There were 2 more diesels available, the  Cummins straight 6  C160 or C180  and the Cummins V6E 195. This particular cab ( raised roof ) ran from mid '65 to '69,  was replaced by the Louisville in '70.

IMG_1066.JPG

Thanks. I knew about the Cummins offerings too. I believe that they were the only diesels offered in the early versions. I think that the Cat and Detroit were only available the last couple years of production. I have been wanting to put a 6v-53 in something for a while. I made a crude version for my curbside 7500 GMC. Now I hope to make a presentable one. If it doesn’t work out the Cat is my backup plan.
I’ve got to get back to work on my T800 quad or I’ll never get started again this one.?

6 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Does anybody know why the center of the grill tilts back on these trucks?

This might help explain. The radiator grill also had shutters for cold weather operation. Ok, I'll throw in a photo of a Custom Cab with  extra heavy 6 spokes and a full build sheet for the real  deal..

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

7 hours ago, leafsprings said:

This might help explain. The radiator grill also had shutters for cold weather operation. Ok, I'll throw in a photo of a Custom Cab with  extra heavy 6 spokes and a full build sheet for the real  deal..

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

Wow! Thanks! Do you happen to have any 6v-53 under hood pictures? I’m mainly wanting to see how the air filter was done. I think that there is a video of a right hand drive on YouTube that I may go by if I don’t find anymore references.

28 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Can't find a photo of a Detroit installation, but I suppose, knowing Ford, they would have used the same air cleaners and brackets that the V6 Cummins used,  to  the same dual hood scoops. There both very tight fits.

IMG_1087.JPG

Thanks for the great picture! This will be very helpful! The one on YouTube has a single breather on the drivers side. Now I’ll have to decide on one or two breathers. Let’s just hope that I can fabricate something that looks close to a 6v-71.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting started on this one and already pretty disappointed. I hadn’t really looked closely at this one until now. Compare the stock photo of my original post with what I actually got. As you can see the top of the cab was done poorly. In the stock photo it has nice round lines, but this looks like a block was glued on top.

Here is what I got:

A822793B-D50C-4377-9C9E-871B07AE429E.jpeg.6f4e20afd07dc58c43f5625b4a9a5cc6.jpeg

Notice the top of the cab:

F24C5DA8-9B8F-4E79-BF96-2BBEA8B14D82.jpeg.cd0fde8defc3e927d5f725786086f89d.jpeg

This is how it should look and how the stock photo looks:

CFC1425A-C22A-4941-BB47-E01A99EB94BA.jpeg.3a13f47d48796040a8302957399d11ef.jpeg

On to sanding, but first I will get the running gear in order.

That is interesting. Thank you for posting those pictures. Everything was wrapped when I got it and I didn’t look at the cab very closely. I remember thinking that the top looked different than I thought that it would, but I was in the middle of something and put it away until now. Your pictures make a good reference though.