Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Ford T8000 Dump

16 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Sorry to hear about the quality issues Brian. I purchased 2 F 850 a couple of years  ago when they first came out, and they were excellent, exactly like to the original stock photos. Something  must have happen to the mold?

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

I just noticed that this one is totally different than mine. It is not just the roof. Mine has molded in door handles and a molded in cowl grate. The all around quality on yours looks much better too. That is definitely a different mold with a different master.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

18 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Sorry to hear about the quality issues Brian. I purchased 2 F 850 a couple of years  ago when they first came out, and they were excellent, exactly like to the original stock photos. Something  must have happen to the mold?

Is yours still in the box with the address. I’m curious to see if it is the same.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Working on the power plant. Trying to replicate a 6v-53 Detroit. I have the block done, timing cover and accessory drive pulleys on the front. I  have a valve cover and head done, but I am attempting to make a cast of it. I cut down an 8v block to start with. I cut down the blower. You can see the block and blower compared to the 8v version.

AC896419-05A1-470D-811D-436758AE5869.jpeg.5b79d52e244ed8a87269f23cd1459575.jpeg

16C95108-DB5C-4B78-95C3-495FC50213E9.jpeg.cee6d7054fa7e7d904499e857c62e2c3.jpeg

D0A6A928-EBD1-4B72-AADB-5C80660EAD85.jpeg.3d87931c2dbd65777bbcc73852b1dc45.jpeg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

52 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Holy smokes ...that cab looks like a poor recast from an original master . Warren's right though, its always easier to remove material then add .

You'll have this whipped into shape though

It is supposed to be the real thing and definitely didn’t have a recast price. We will see what happens.

17 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Here it is. I'm thinking they accidently shipped you an old prototype instead of the final product.

IMG_1097.JPG

Thanks! That is the same address. I sent a message to his son who I suppose handles his EBay store. We will see what he says. It is really my fault for not unwrapping it in July and checking it then. The good thing is; it won’t be the last dumb thing that I do.

27 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Brian have you tried to reach the seller to see if they can do anything. Between the roof and the fenders now being squared up is not good. 

He responded and wanted pictures. I sent a picture of the roof but haven’t heard back. I didn’t notice the fenders until today. The good news is that the hood is warped pretty badly too, but matches the fenders pretty decent.😀

16 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

I guess you could always make it a old work truck that has seen better days.  

I’ve figured out that this cab is the same cab as his F700 kit that looks to have had the 850 front fenders and a roof thrown on to it in what appears to be a hurry. Initially he said that he would send another cab, but wanted pictures of the problems. I haven’t heard anything since I sent a picture. He had said that maybe this was one of the last ones out of an old mold, but that is not what this is. This is a totally different casting all together. It is also Very brittle. I hope to make something of it though.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Thanks! I think that you have more reference material than I do.😀 This one will have worn out a few sets of tires already, although I do have some tires similar.

I’ve been working on the roof some. It appears that there is not enough material on this cab to get the curve right. The top is too flat.
So I have 3 choices:

1. Round it off the best that I can and live with it. 
2. Add material and try to get it closer to what it should look like. 
3. Wait on the possibility of another cab.

44 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Brian nice progress on the dump body and frame. I’m hoping that you receive a new cab. 

Thanks Dan! They said that they would send one, but time will tell. In the mean time I like doing things the hard way. I added .040 styrene to the roof. We will see where this goes.

C569CAF5-403B-4113-A293-955853CC07A0.jpeg.161bd65e6039e1d82ab6430b5a8dac3f.jpeg

I'm sure Dan models will make this right and send you a replacement. Many on this site will be potential buyers of his products and will be good P.R. for them. Another possibility with this one maybe set it aside and  graft on a Moebius pickup donor cab? That will  give you the basis for a '64 or '65  Super Duty, before the cab roof lift. Maybe just built it as a gas powered Super Duty tractor for a future build?