Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Ford T8000 Dump

1 hour ago, leafsprings said:

I'm sure Dan models will make this right and send you a replacement. Many on this site will be potential buyers of his products and will be good P.R. for them. Another possibility with this one maybe set it aside and  graft on a Moebius pickup donor cab? That will  give you the basis for a '64 or '65  Super Duty, before the cab roof lift. Maybe just built it as a gas powered Super Duty tractor for a future build?

Dan’s son said that the original cab like those that you have were not 100% accurate. The cab that I received was the replacement.🤔 After he talked with Dan, he said that they decided to go back to the old cab and that if I would bear with him, he would send me another cab. So, I may get another cab, or not, but I’m already knee deep in this one. I don’t like not finishing a project once I am started, and I don’t want two projects going at once, so I am attempting to make this one presentable.

Question, you seem to have a lot of reference material on these. Did the raised roofs have the indentation down the center? 
 In all the pictures that I can find, it seems the the top is pretty rounded and that the center of the cab is the highest point.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress on this and I noticed that not only are the front fenders slightly crooked but they are a little hiked up in the front. I didn’t try to cut the fenders loose as this resin is extremely brittle and very thin in places around the grill area. I didn’t want to make matters worse. The good thing is that Ford advertised these trucks as not having the fenders attached to the cab anywhere. With some age and worn mounts, I’m sure things would be a little crooked in real life.

4F4A7E6A-5EF6-4FEF-AE67-8CEE87D8DEF7.jpeg.aeb8fdc237d7a5d8919e4f96a120764f.jpeg
0EA04ECC-412D-40EF-98B2-6B1EE4F9323C.jpeg.a175949f95986a1a01fbc5f4dba20338.jpeg

195961DC-7172-4EC5-9F4C-E0C184D1558F.jpeg.fd7358370a32cb60515e6a7b41a6ab6a.jpeg

4C2FA07A-1C6F-462A-9BC9-9BF9F6F6AD14.jpeg.a7ff36dbe4b8b64a4da1bb2b9b0485b6.jpeg

I just found your new thread Brian and you did a fantastic job on this cab.  They are very nice trucks and I wanted to buy one of these resin kits because the photos were quite tempting.  I don't know if the problems you have had with your kit (from this company) are usual or if you have been unlucky?  What I do know, however, is that resin models are not for everyone and we can sometimes expect surprises.  By the way, your truck looks real good so far, I love it! 👍

It may not be too late to correct those fenders.  Make a cut with a razor saw behind the fenders aiming it down to just ahead of the door line.  Don't go all the way but enough that you could put in a shim and glue it in position without the rest of the resin binding.  Then use some plastic to fill the gaps.  It will improve the looks immensely.

35 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

It may not be too late to correct those fenders.  Make a cut with a razor saw behind the fenders aiming it down to just ahead of the door line.  Don't go all the way but enough that you could put in a shim and glue it in position without the rest of the resin binding.  Then use some plastic to fill the gaps.  It will improve the looks immensely.

Thanks Charles! I really considered cutting the fenders loose, but I was concerned about making a bad situation worse. The attachment point at the cab is very thick, while all the outer panels are very thin. The grill area is so thin that light shows through before paint. I was concerned that I would shatter the front grill area while sawing the fenders loose. This resin is very brittle. Sometimes I have to know my limitations.  I’m not building it as new. I’m building it as having some wear on it. 
Thanks again! Your advice is always appreciated.

3 hours ago, kilrathy10 said:

Man, this thing is looking killer!! Amazing work... The weathering makes it look all the more awesome.... Great job on this one...

X2 - Brian you have been able to correct the issues with this build to where if you don’t say anything no one will ever know they were there.