Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finish before resin casting

Greg, the mold material will pick up the surface finish of your master, and the resin cast parts will look exactly like the master.  It will even pick up fingerprints.  If you want your cast parts to have primer-like  finish, then yes, it is good enough.  If you want your cast part to have gloss finish, then make the master glossy.

What is the master made of?  If it is porous, make sure the use enough coats of primer or other sealer to prevent the mold material from soaking into the master.

37 minutes ago, peteski said:

What is the master made of?  If it is porous, make sure the use enough coats of primer or other sealer to prevent the mold material from soaking into the master.

It is a die cast that I have modified with Milliput, Tamiya basic putty and styrene pieces glued on. The Milliput I have sanded with #3000 and it is very smooth. I am wondering if a barrier of some sort is necessary to protect it from the silicone or the mould release?

Assuming that you use RTV silicone for the mould material, read its specs sheets and instructions on its use. The cure of some RTV silicones (there are platinum-cure or tin-cure materials) can be inhibited by some materials. Make sure that all the materials in the master are compatible with the RTV rubber.

Hopefully the entire master is covered with primer. Otherwise, the areas of milliput might have slightly different texture from the primed metal.  If the master has a coat of primer and you are also using mould release agent (which often is not needed with silicone RTV), then I believe you should be all set.  Again, read all the documentation provided with the RTV silicone.

9 hours ago, peteski said:

Hopefully the entire master is covered with primer. Otherwise, the areas of milliput might have slightly different texture from the primed metal.  If the master has a coat of primer and you are also using mould release agent (which often is not needed with silicone RTV), then I believe you should be all set.  Again, read all the documentation provided with the RTV silicone.

Agreed, cover your master with one final layer to achieve a uniform texture, otherwise there's the risk of imperfections showing up after mold-making. Here's a bomb that I did, as an example. I used Mr Surfacer from a spray can, but basically any paint / primer will do. Peteski is right that platinum-cure silicone rubber is sensitive to some materials and then will not cure. But I never had that happen with cured (!!) paint.

f84f-45.jpg

f84f-47.jpg

f84f-54.jpg

f84f-57.jpg

Rob