Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Roy Gay B stock Pontiac GTO

MarkJ

Just finished this one. Roy and Don Gay were teenage brothers who ran at the local drag strip in Dickinson Texas back in the sixtys. Their father owned Gay Pontiac also located in Dickinson Texas. Dickinson is located in south east Texas, just about half way from Houston to Galveston on what was then called the Gulf Freeway. Its now more known as 45 North or South. In the summer of 64, Roy drove a 64 B stock GTO and Don drove a 62  A stock Catalina 2 door sedan . They always seemed to end up racing each other  at the end of the afternoon or evening for the stock eliminator trophy. I built Don's Catalina back in 2018 and now I finally got around to building Roy's GTO. I only had one small black and white picture of Roy's car for reference so I had to guess on a lot of stuff. I really enjoyed watching them race back in the summer of 1964.

fin64roy7.jpg

fin64roy1a.jpg

fin64roy9.jpg

fin64roy4.jpg

fin64roy11a.jpg

fin64roy6.jpg

fin64roy12.jpg

fin64roy14.jpg

fin64roy15.jpg

fin64roy8a.jpg

18 minutes ago, larman said:

Super build, love it! And the fact that you "made" half the engine for this makes it even more outstanding!  BTW, what tires did you use? 

Larry, I have no idea where the tires came from. They were in my spare parts box. The wheels as well.

2 hours ago, Old Coyote said:

Another absolutely stunning build Mark. I remember Roy and this car very well and you have done a great job replicating it.

Now you need to do the A/MP wagon.

Don Gay.jpg

Thanks again, John. But I'm afraid that one might be hard to get done. I bet nobody ever even did a resin of that one.

I remember some write ups on their racing in Hot Rod years ago. Your build seems to really capture the look and is cleanly done. Makes me whish my father had chosen a different carrier path, but he wouldn't have let me go racing anyway.