Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Buick Wildcat, Mild Custom Drag.

doorsovdoon

They wouldn't accept him on the dirt track because of his vinyl roof, "You can't race that thing here, your roof is too fancy" they said, so he took to the drag strip and managed to sneak by the officials who didn't notice his fancy vinyl roof until it was too late, by then he'd earned 152 NHRA Pro Stock national events and made a name for himself, they called him "The Gate Crasher" xD

This is the 1966 Buick Wildcat by AMT. A very basic kit with solid axles and one piece underside, it doesn't even come with mirrors or brake master cylinder, but does come with a lot of custom parts including three different hoods, bucket seats, and front/rear custom panel options. I decided to go the stock body rout using some of the custom parts, side exhausts, slick rear tyres, and out of my spares tin I used some hubcap delete steels. The configuration doesn't make any sense, stock exhausts with side pipes that don't go anywhere and a stock engine with air filter powering a set of drag slicks on the rear! You can't really build an accurate drag or race car with this kit without major modifications so I just had fun with it and slapped on some custom parts and decals. I did modify the firewall with some body filler so it looked part of the floor pans rather than two separate pieces, other than the steels from my spares it's out of the box using what's in there. So there you have it, a basic yet fun build that looks pretty cool whether stock or custom. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be fun and that's what I had:)

20120713_173005.JPG

20120713_173034.JPG

20120713_173050.JPG

20120713_173101.JPG

Call it what you want, my friend. I call it one cool build! Having fun doing it is what it’s all about. I’ll be looking more closely at this one later today. I always find neat aspects of your models when I come back to them a second or third time. Cheers.

Hi Gerath, Another great looking creation. I like the theme as a Drag Racer. That is one form of racing that a car like this would actually fit in perfectly. The Slicks would put you into a lower Stock Class as long as they aren't to wide or Bracket type racing. The basic chassis is well detailed as is the engine. The name on the car fits it perfectly.  

Thanks, guys. I was going to go with the custom front and rear panels and do an out of the box custom, but the custom hoods left huge panel gaps and didn't fit well at all. The stock wheels are no good either cos the wheel backs push the rims out due to how skinny the tyres are. Having no mirrors and being such a basic kit I thought it would look too plain box stock so wasn't sure where to go with it, so I did a mild custom just to jazz it up a bit. It worked out great, I'm glad you like it:)

4 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Nice one Gareth. Just a week into the year and you've already got your first one done!

Cheers, Nigel. I did start it Christmas eve but yeah, my first 2021 completion:)

3 hours ago, ATHU said:

Excellent work Gareth!!??

Thanks, Anders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...