Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2021 Crackerbox car hauler

Finally decided to go with this. I received the cab in a trade with Jeff, and he said it was designed for a Titan chassis. (little does he know how many questions he is in for ?) So here is the starting point. The rest of the chassis will come from the parts box.

First question.  The Titan had a sleeper,  this obviously does not. I personally think the truck would look better if I shortened the frame.  Since I have not altered a frame on one of these, where should I take the section out, and how much should I take out. 

TIA

20210108_232514.jpg

I’ve been wanting to build one of these for years. This will be a very cool build. I’m not sure what engine you have in mind but remember that the engine tunnel is pretty cramped so make sure that you have clearance before you make anything permanent. Also the radiator will set much lower than the Titan and the fan will run off of the crank.

Looking forward to seeing this one!

A4324176-2B9B-45A4-B496-F153F9276BA9.jpeg.f2e45bd6bd8e2157705caac622a8b145.jpeg

Sam thats where I ran into trouble was getting the engine fitting under floor . Jim b suggested a frame that drops down in front to allow radiator to sit low enough. I had a gw 6 - 71 under the cab but the wrong frame ( w/ f ) really fought me 

You'll have much more success,  and its gonna be a great looking truck

I'm planning a Dodge cab soon 

9 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Sam nice combination. When you are deciding on your frame length take the over hang on the trailer into consideration. 

So after mocking up everything.  Cab is on the frame where the instructions recommend,  pin on the trailer is centered in between the axles. Looks like 3.25 . So maybe take out two inches? 

20210109_154658.jpg

Thanks for confirming that for me Bill. 

I noticed that on the box the trailer had five spoke rims, and thought to myself, "cool". Big disappointment when I opened the box, just regular wheels.  Fortunately I have a few extra sets of five spoke trailer wheels.

I think I will go with a Detroit...

20210110_194838.jpg

Edited by Sam I Am

11 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Thanks for confirming that for me Bill. 

I noticed that on the box the trailer had five spoke rims, and thought to myself, "cool". Big disappointment when I opened the box, just regular wheels.  Fortunately I have a few extra sets of five spoke trailer wheels.

I think I will go with a Detroit...

20210110_194838.jpg

48 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Cant go wrong w a Detroit!!!  Hopefully you'll have clearance enough if ya choose the 8v 

Great choice for an engine. It will be a tight fit, but don’t get frustrated. Sometimes resin and kit manufacturers alike don’t get the floor pan exactly right. Don’t be afraid to trim or even make a new pan. I have had to completely remake a floor pan before. A good example was my H-63 Mack that I put a 12v-71 in.

As you can see on the real deal, it is a tight fit.

56600932-044C-43F5-83AA-ACD62EF952A3.thumb.jpeg.c500756bc54c47f13722412b328f2bbc.jpeg

6C18CAC2-1D25-47CA-A9DE-6482AD12DC73.thumb.jpeg.c858541958184bb5a18e16d0141e247d.jpeg

CB22DAE4-4650-4024-A3C8-6D6C2190DC8F.thumb.jpeg.bfe611e630a2a371b76904472e76e88a.jpeg

54 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Cant go wrong w a Detroit!!!  Hopefully you'll have clearance enough if ya choose the 8v 

So are you telling me when I shorten the frame, don't stop there?

Edit:  just saw your post Brian. Thanks for that pic...I think. lol

Edited by Sam I Am

7 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

So are you telling me when I shorten the frame, don't stop there?

Edit:  just saw your post Brian. Thanks for that pic...I think. lol

I have a few reference photos if you need any, I will be glad to post them. This was a sleeper cab, but should be the same as yours as far a mounting, because as you can see the sleeper is just over hang.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Thanks Brian, I would appreciate those pics for future reference.  Right now,, for mock up sake,  I would like to know if the Titan location for the engine is ok,  or if I need to lower it in the frame. 

Oh, and I started looking for reference pics. The first two are what I am going after,  the last ones are squirrels.  ?

cab-over.jpg

gmc6.jpg

GMC1-685x572.jpg

gmc41-685x424.jpg