Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scotto & Blevins 55 Nomad

dragcarz

While trying to recover from my bout with Civid-19, with lots of time and limited energy and brain power I decided to do something much simpler than the Shahan’s Hornet. As your becoming aware I like old drag cars, and this one has been on my build list for some time! 
Years ago I purchased a set of decals off the internet to do both the 55 Nomad and the Corvette of Scotto & Blevins, so I started going through the AMT kit I realized this would be an easier build than I thought. Almost everything I needed is in the box. I robbed the AMT 65 El Camino kit for the Cragar wheels, and the AMT parts pack for slicks. 
I started doing research on the car and found some great reference photos on the internet. During that internet search I came across another set of decals for this car from SMP Products. They had the 55s decals as well as a set for the Corvette. I ordered a set of each. I was very pleased with the quick service and the quality of the decals. The color and size are so much better than the first set I purchased. Here’s where I am today.I removed the muffler and tailpipe, I deepened the oil pan, and painted the body Testors Classic White Enamel.

0CD37D3E-008B-4B71-8ACD-192ECEB4E349.jpeg

ED47F11F-A692-49BB-992F-8DD4C4B2D1CE.jpeg

16439CC1-7263-48EA-A33F-42A5A5F32A57.jpeg

7DEF16EF-0CD6-41B4-9AB2-721B385B79D9.jpeg

45 minutes ago, doggie427 said:

Beautiful Roger ! This was probably my favourite of their killer cars. Where did you source the hood scoop?

I found it in my parts stash, it was longer and clear, it’s a little bigger  than the one on the 1-1 car, but it works. 

Quick update shot clear coat in 55 degree weather, added decals to fenders. I got tired of waiting for warm weather. It worked. I tried my hand at making fender well headers from solder. It’s not pretty, apparently not in my skill set, no I’m not posting a pic of the failure.

922385CF-FA2D-4A43-AE04-F0A0995474B6.jpeg

7903A19A-3A46-43DC-AEFE-C55137081256.jpeg

Edited by dragcarz
Spelling

You mentioned you got the hood scoop from parts box and you didn't know the source. 

On 1/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, dragcarz said:

I found it in my parts stash, it was longer and clear, it’s a little bigger  than the one on the 1-1 car, but it works. 

I think it came from a version of the Monogram "Badman" . some reissues of that kit had  clear glass parts.

22 hours ago, Bowtienutz said:

You mentioned you got the hood scoop from parts box and you didn't know the source. 

I think it came from a version of the Monogram "Badman" . some reissues of that kit had  clear glass parts.

That’s very possible.

I also love these older drag cars.  You are doing an outstanding job on this one.  If you are not satisfied with your fenderwell headers, simply roll out the pieces of solder between two boards to get them straight and try again.  With a bit of trial and error they really look sweet. This was a set I built for a SCRambler gasser. I started with four pieces of solder glued into holes in the block, the engine is tack glued to the chassis.  I then bent each one to fit the fenderwell area, allowing for tire clearance.

TX21r0o.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I also love these older drag cars.  You are doing an outstanding job on this one.  If you are not satisfied with your fenderwell headers, simply roll out the pieces of solder between two boards to get them straight and try again.  With a bit of trial and error they really look sweet. This was a set I built for a SCRambler gasser. I started with four pieces of solder glued into holes in the block, the engine is tack glued to the chassis.  I then bent each one to fit the fenderwell area, allowing for tire clearance.

TX21r0o.jpg

Yeah I did most of what you recommended, mine don’t look anything  like yours, yours are very well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Wow I can’t believe the last time I posted was in February, since then I’ve moved my daughter back from Indiana and had little to no bench time. I really hate to loose the momentum I had building last year, so I’m trying to push a little more. 

Small update, I got the gages added to the interior, the chassis is done except for the drive shaft safety loop. The chrome trim is done and the glass installed. I’ve added spark plug wires to the engine. I’m getting close

5EBE1394-9C43-4AB3-9013-4FF18234E7F6.jpeg

0C93798B-9A85-402A-AED6-E3072311E958.jpeg

6D1E3133-D20C-45F5-B2FE-39E1842D0613.jpeg

F116DD3F-67D6-4717-8B27-471931AF5C1D.jpeg

• Like 1

Headers???  You might consider modelcarworld or perhaps there are others.  They show fender well ones.  Don’t know the quality and/or fit issues, but I am thinking of giving them a try myself as headers are a continuing problem for me in most of my builds (pretty much all early drag cars).